No announcement yet.

GS1100G Cafe Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah not too far. Let me know before hand if i'm around you are more than welcome!

Comment

Will do.
      It'll be a few weeks yet.
      I'm still buried in in getting back to routine.

Comment

Not much to report on today.....Just continuing assembly...

So, when I build my new rearset mounts to take the rearsets off a GSXR, I fabricated some new mounts, worked out the height I wanted, and spot welded the brackets. Then I fitted the rearsets and made some adjustments and continued to weld the brackets.
        I was very happy with the result.

When I went to fit the rearsets today, I realised the rearset linkage was a tad short, so I got some 6mm rod, cut to size and welded it to the linkage...all went well...

Until I kicked up the kickstand :O oh oh...
        I never, ever, during fabrication kicked up the stand with the rearsets mounted, so I have a slight issue.

Top View...The actual kickstand will clear the gear lever and linkage so it should be ok.

After looking at my R6, I realised this is a common issue so they resolved it by placing the kick bar half way up the stand...I wish I tested this before becuase now i have to cut off the kick bar, and weld it half way up the stand, which means the powdercoat will be ruinined. So I'm just going to sandblast it down to raw, and after its fixed Ill paint it black...Not so bad.

More on this later

Comment

I bloody love that red.
          you won't be hard to spot on the roads that's for sure..

Comment

Awww man don't ya hate that? Good that it should be an easy fix though...

Sorta like my fork brace/front guard mount... made it all up, started sanding for the brushed look, then realised it's 25mm too tall and will have the guard hitting the bottom triple tree if the forks bottom out... at least it's easy fixed!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Those rearsets seem like they put your toes awful close to the ground...

Love the build! Keep up the good work.

Comment

The gear lever is actually 5cms lower than the factory height. its the same height as my r6

Comment

So I decided I should get this kickstand sorted out before anything else.
                  It was tricky as I had to leave it on whilst I determined the best
                  a) location while stand is up
                  b) location while stand is down
                  c) tack it on so I can complete the weld

I never weld flat | flat..there is always a V cut out of the metal I weld so I can get a good bond in both peices of steel Im welding. The only issue is its really hard to keep a piece in the same place while welding...and my magnet had no affect on the round steel.

Yes..I know what it looks like ya filthy mongrels! Fancy welding I say !

Ended up getting it done with a few cuss words and a few little hot pieces of weld on me !!

Looks ok in black me thinks. In hindsight, I probably should have moved the kicker down 1-2cms so its lower than the centre to help it swivel...but it sorta works well enough for me. meh...

Comment

While I was at it, I thought I should start rebuilding the rear caliper as its in a sick state.
                    Got it for 25 bux on peebay.
                    Here's what it looked like when I pulled it apart...

And now...

My worst fears, one of the pistons has a really deep gash type pit in it. Its un-useable. The other piston came out ok.

Basically pulled them out and soaked them in CLR for about 5 hours. Cleaned up good, there's still a tiny bit of cleaning left to do in the piston chamber but its pretty darn good.

Called suzuki today, they said the pistons are in stock and they cost 80 dollars for a pair. unfortunately thats more than im willing to part with..So ill have to take alternative measures...watch this space on the rest of my caliper rebuild.

On she goes!

Comment

Mate that's lookin' better all the time!!

Get onto Boulevard Suzuki in the US for your pistons, dirt cheap OEM parts and you should normally have them in a couple of weeks if you can wait that long, maybe a little longer as they seem to be a little slower replying to email orders lately.

sigpic

Comment

i dig the jandals...

i think you can get aftermarket pistons from z1 ??
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          i dig the jandals...

i think you can get aftermarket pistons from z1 ??
                          Jandals? You Kiwis speak funny

Mind you, wait 'til I correct you with the word "thongs" and see what the US guys think of that... hahaha

sigpic

Comment

hahah. I call them thongs too. Flip Flops is also a favourite.
                            I often wear them in the garage since all my sneakers consist of collectable nikes (yes I collect shoes) and i dont like to get them filthy.
                            It often ends up in an injury on one of my toes....but i never learn.

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
                              hahah. I call them thongs too. Flip Flops is also a favourite.
                              I often wear them in the garage since all my sneakers consist of collectable nikes (yes I collect shoes) and i dont like to get them filthy.
                              It often ends up in an injury on one of my toes....but i never learn.
                              Well we all gotta collect something I guess... I tend to collect bills... sometimes I even pay them

sigpic

Comment

hahah I collect bills too, I also collect late notice's and letters from the sherif :P

Z1 didn't have brake pistons...

Comment

Working...
                                X