Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Cafe Racer

Hi Guys,
    I've been lurking here for a while. I bought my GS a little while ago. Not running.
    I've done a ton of work on the bike already, and I got it running along with a brand new custom made wiring loom.
    I thought it was about time to get really serious and pull the engine out, get the frame blasted and painted and build this thing up proper.

My plan was to get it all running, registered (it came unregistered) and then strip it down and paint the frame/engine and build it back up again...but I really dont want to do that anymore. So its go time.

Engine was a little hard to get out on my own. Its big and heavy. But I managed using the 'ol tip her on its side trick.
    I did realise after I was done that I forgot to drain the oil out of the gearbox...not sure if that will cause me any problems down the track...Hope not...

Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM.

I wondered what you were doing with yours when you posted that thread about the wiring harness, now I see

Make sure you keep us up to date!

I got my house mate to help me getting the 450 engine out as I didn't know about the on the side trick back then. Got him to help me put it back in again because it's only a 450...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Built me an Engine stand on wheels so I can manouvre this heavy engine around while I work on it.

Built in 2 pieces so I dont have to lift the engine to mount it. BOlt one end in, then bolt the other end in, then bolt together. Easy Peasy.
      Was fun to make! bit of a pain in the ass..but good experience with my new welder.

Comment

Damn good idea!!!

I barely managed getting my 450 from the bin I had it upside down on up to the work bench by myself, so no way would I like to try that with an 1100...

sigpic

Comment

I picked up an 1100g a couple of months back and I'll tag along here and see what your up to. I enjoy making tools for working on my bike, such as your engine stand. Cheers.

Charlie G
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That is a nice engine stand. I thought about something similiar for mine but could not spare the cash to by the materials. I will say it makes such a big difference. I had to dead lift the 550 all over the shop. Its a good thing I am so strong. Well at least that I have a strong back.. That will make your life so much easier. Can't wait to see what comes of this project.
            Paul

Comment

Thanks Redneck!
              This engine stand cost me about $40 in materials in total.
              And I overbought material.
              I almost bought double what I needed, but I like to have extra for other jobs that will def. come in handy.

Its been great. I just wheeled it out to wash the engine b4 i prep for paint stripper and paint. I wouldn't have the freedom if I had this thing on the floor! Not sure how much heavier it is than the 550, but I'm sure its more.

Comment

Its update time. I've really stepped it up a notch now. Am very keen to get this build finished.
                So I sandblasted the engine. Plugged up the holes, and went for it. Got about 95% of the paint off. If I had my time over again, I would NOT ever sandblast an engine. There is way too much cleanup to prep for paint.
                I spent 3 days cleaning the engine to make sure it was tidy enough to paint, and even then it was not 100% grime free, about 95% but thats good enough for me.

Anyway. So the guy at supercheap auto told me the paint I bought (3M engine paint Heatproof) was gloss black. I asked him a few times ensuring I did not want matt black. He said "yes yes its gloss, see the cap, its glossy, that means its gloss." Turns it out was not gloss.
                ...lol.
                But I actually quite liked it. Its not matte, but not gloss, something in between...hard to explain.

Looks unreal....Very happy with it. Lets just hope no sand/grime got into the engine! :/
                Time will tell..ha!

Here's a sneak peek of the engine...Since this photo all the metal covers are off, and are getting polished. so hold ya horses, i'lll put up a pic when its done.
                (old sparkplugs make excellent plugs for sparkplug holes!)

Comment

Also. I got my act together and got rid of those dodgy R6 rearsets and brackets. I was really really really not happy with the way they looked, and was just being damn right lazy.
                  Since I began this project, I have learnt a heck of alot about my tools and my ability to use them tools....I always shy away from doing this 'properly' because I think I'm not skilled enough, or I could never get a precise enough result as I'm no proffensial.
                  But now I think I can get a near proffessional result, it just takes alot longer for me than it would someone with greater skills...

So I went to the metal shop today and bought some 3mm flat metal sheet...I also bought myself some GSXR 08 rearsets from ebay (thank you US exchange rate). And made some brackets.
                  I ended up cutting off the old brackets and fit these puppies.

My welding is still at novice status, but I am much much better than when I started. I always find that I have to grind back some of my welds as my beads flow well then my gun splatters. and i get a little blob...then I have to continue my bead from there.....Its happening less and less as I am able to control the smooth motion but not there yet.
                  The welds are damn strong and have good bond so I'm happy with that...Looks pretty good if you ask me.
                  Just needs to be sanded down a little, a bit of cleaning with the dremel, and we're ready to roll.

Comment

Mate that's lookin' good so far!

The 3M paint is "satin" rather than gloss... the children at Super Cheap are just Woolies checkout chicks who like cars...

I wanted gloss for mine too, but ended up with POR 15 Black Velvet which is very definitely matte, but pretty happy with how it turned out. At least the POR guy knows it's matte

Those rearsets look the bizz too.

sigpic

Comment

Great work on the rearsets brackets man! I don't know what you're on about NOT having the skills ?? Looks good.
                      GS850GT

Comment

Great work on the rearsets brackets man! I don't know what you're on about NOT having the skills ?? Looks good.
                        Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by pete
                          The 3M paint is "satin" rather than gloss... the children at Super Cheap are just Woolies checkout chicks who like cars...
                          HAHAHA oh God you are right about at least 75% of them. There's a couple I've met that are a bit different to that mould.

P.S. This is looking like a fantastic build. You may be "Novice" with the welder, but you still can do a good job.

Comment

hahaha...Thanks guys....really appreciate the nice comments.

Supercheap is best if you know what you need and dont need to talk to anyone! Which is my case most of the time, except the paints were locked away.

Comment

Subscribed!

Comment

Working...
                              X