GS1100G Cafe Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Mind you, wait 'til I correct you with the word "thongs" and see what the US guys think of that... hahaha
    Some of the less experienced (haven't fallen down yet) riders around here call those riding boots.

Comment

Being a shafty yours may be laid out different than mine but...
      My brake hose extends further back then up to the caliper, looks like a bracket should be on your axle pinch bolt for the hose then the hose would come up the back side of the caliper to the banjo bolt.
      Once again, comparing apples to oranges but that would take care of your excess hose length.

Comment

What are your plans on wiring in the Vapor dash?>?

Comment

Mate it's all good, but thanks for the thanks for the compliments... haha

I'm just lovin' this build is all

I was going to say I think your brake hose should go around the rear from others I've seen, but Hoosier beat me to it...

And yeah, my piston set for my front caliper included the dust seal, piston, and piston seal as well, so I think they really should've called them rebuild kits because nothing else is needed...

FLHGSRay: Some here do too now that you mention it... and full gear includes T-shirt and stubbies
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Guys,
            It seems as though my rear brake is not off a GS1100G, it's of another GS but not sure what model, as the banjo bolt location is on the bottom, whereas, the others (like bikeboys) is round the top, so the cable spins round up there.

Still works the same, and has the same parts, other than that, and only having one bleeder (the real GS1100's have 2) thats all I can see, and thats why I have so much slack.

Will probably get a shorter one in good time (but not on my urgent list).

Morrison -
            I've already wired up the Dash, it just needs to go on, You will see more on this topic in the next few days
            It's a piece of cake to wire up. The only thing I didn't like, was that it had a shared earth for all the accessory lights. This sucked, as the Oil Pressure switch is activated by earth, so I had to do some cutting and soldering on the unit to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
              Some of the less experienced (haven't fallen down yet) riders around here call those riding boots.

Comment

This mod serves no purpose other than to look cool and provide me with some useful statistics on my oil pressure...

Its as easy as this.
                Remove this bolt..

Install this

Then adjust to your desired angle...

Lets hope there is oilpressure when it fires up again... :O

Comment

Oh now I can hardley wait to see where my oil port is located because I don't have the one you show... good stuff though!
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Nice one! I'd love to do something similar except the bolt I can use on the 450 is located at the bottom of the right case cover, so I'd have to do some fancy routing to make it visible while riding...

sigpic

Comment

Wow, coming on nicely, that is looking super sweet, you have done some really nice work there, I like.
                      Yeah, the brake line goes around the very back of the swingarm, if you look at the very back, you will see a threaded hole for a 5mm bolt that hold the bracket that secure the line.

Starting up is a breeze, remove all the spark plugs, so there is no compression, and the motor can spin nice and quick, and not fire up, turn on and turn it over on the starter until the oil light goes out, and your fancy new gauge (I like) shows a steady pressure.
                      Put plugs back in and fire her up.
                      Keep idle down nice and low, but not too low while she warms up, around 1200rpm or so.
                      We need a video

Comment

Last night, installed new Carb intake boots, with new Orings for that fresh, no leak goodness.
                        Swapped out the bolts with some hex bolts too (for ease of removal!)
                        Havn't got pics of them installed, its really not that exciting, but I got them still in in the OEM packet. Oh yeah..

Also started with the wiring so I can get this puppy running this week
                        Drilled and mounted the electrics in the electric tray that I made last minute before going off to powder coaters. All seems to fit fairly well.
                        Thats a new R/R there, needs to be modified to accept the connections from my stator, and sense wire etc...more on that later.

Anyone able to suggest what i can wrap my wires with, I didn't want to just black tape it coz its pretty rat. I wanted something that provided good heat shielding and still looked ok...suggestions plzzzz.

.jpg

Cheers. Sam.

Comment

Supercheap have packets of heatshrink in various sizes, colours and lengths.
                          Even red.

Comment

Not sure bout using heat shrink to be honest. It doesn't withstand heat very well, if you know what I mean...
                            Was thinking of some braided line or something....but not metallic. Not sure about waterproofing then..

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
                              I didn't want to just black tape it coz its pretty rat.

Comment

Yeah I believe *good* electrical tape will do the job well as long as you stick it to itself by overlapping as you wrap it around...

I tried to find a heat proof sheath for my Dynatek locally here and I ended up getting a metre of exhaust wrap to wrap it in because there ain't no such thing...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X