No announcement yet.

77 550 cafe project - couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing I noticed while mocking it up - the rear seems to sit really low... I may drop the forks in the triple - but if I wanted to raise the rear more - what shocks would you recommend to do so?

Comment

Made some progress deciphering the wiring harness - but still have quite a ways to go over all -

For now the pain in the ass that is the wiring that has kept me busy - I'm not quite sure this harness is from a like year 550 - probably an 80's version as there are color combinations of wires that I can't seem to find on any wiring diagrams. The last remaining connections are the brake lights and brake switches, head light, gauge lights, turn signals - completing the ignition circuit. Welding the battery tray and fastening the seat... Then after all is running I'll consider tear down and cosmetics / paint & new rubber, 530 conversion....

Turns out my tank doesn't have the gas gauge - so the gauge cluster must also be from a newer model - is there any way to add a gas gauge?

I read about wiring the RR with all three phases and not using the loop through the headlight - which is how I've wired it - but am wondering if the yellow wire that I've found on a connector should be wired to the headlight.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
        Made some progress deciphering the wiring harness - but still have quite a ways to go over all - need to find a mid pipe and exhaust tip...

For now the pain in the ass that is the wiring that has kept me busy - I'm not quite sure this harness is from a like year 550 - probably an 80's version as there are color combinations of wires that I can't seem to find on any wiring diagrams. The last remaining connections are the brake lights and brake switches, head light, gauge lights, turn signals - completing the ignition circuit. Welding the battery tray and fastening the seat... Then after all is running I'll consider tear down and cosmetics / paint & new rubber, 530 conversion....

Turns out my tank doesn't have the gas gauge - so the gauge cluster must also be from a newer model - is there any way to add a gas gauge?

I read about wiring the RR with all three phases and not using the loop through the headlight - which is how I've wired it - but am wondering if the yellow wire that I've found on a connector should be wired to the headlight.

i think the yellow wire is the low beam,

Comment

Thx now the yellow and Red one is the one that has got me

Comment

The three yellow wires on a new integrated R/R should be connected to the three stator wires (which are White/Blue, White/Green and Yellow).

The red R/R wire should be connected to the red wire on the bike harness.

The black R/R wire should go to the ground (preferably directly to the negative battery terminal).

With a new integrated regulator/rectifier, you won't need the bike's old regulator (it is that small pressed steel item bolted to the back of the battery box, with a yellow wire that connected to the double female bullet connector from the stator's yellow wire), so you can remove it.

You can leave the bike's White/Red and White/Green wires unconnected (tape them off). They connect to each other at the headlight switch.

I did all this on my '78 550, and all functions well.

By the way, the kick starter won't work unless the clutch is engaged.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks - I've gotten a newer RR and have it wired as you described. The wire I'm having problem with is up by the front of the harness It's yellow / Red, there's also a green and red that seems to go to powering oil light, neutral light, brake switches according to the colored 550 schematic - I'll try to post some pics tonight. There's one in this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185636

I've also picked up a relay to do the coil relay mod and some wire - the harness seems short in places and I've connected and shrink wrapped most of the connections but I may have to do it again as I'm not sure if I've routed the harness correctly - it looks very sloppy and doesn't leave much room for the tank - pics to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Zafe View Post
                i think the yellow wire is the low beam,
                Per these schematics (granted an 850)

I believe it's the high beam and the gray one is low?

Comment

Neither the Green/Red or the Yellow/Red go anywhere. On the wiring diagram, they seem to be extra wiring for an accessory or something. I have a dissected 550 harness at home I can use to double check for you tonight, if you wish (and if I can remember).

The headlight low beam is white. The high beam (and its indicator light) is yellow. The oil pressure light is powered by the Orange circuit and the Green/Yellow wire from the switch on the crankcase.

There's an accurate wiring diagram in the manual posted on BassCliff's site (pages 164 and 165 of the manual).

Comment

How did you do the cutouts on your tank? I'm about to pick up working on my 79 GS750 again and would really like to do some. Really nice work so far. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by jus1087 View Post
                      How did you do the cutouts on your tank? I'm about to pick up working on my 79 GS750 again and would really like to do some. Really nice work so far. Keep it up!
                      No cuts since I don't yet own welding equipment - I hammered it out - Just drew the pattern out with a Sharpie on cardboard as a template - eyeballed it on each side till it looked even...traced it (kinda wish I hadn't used the sharpie - but whatever it's committed me to a paint job later on down the road).

I could have been more anal about it but was already three beers in when I got going with it - so after that first hammer swing there was no turning back and I let her rip... I just used a mallet and a hammer though I wish I had a ball peen hammer would have made it a lot nicer to define the edges. It takes a second to get the right swing / pressure down but once you do just work it out nice and easy (I used a kind of double tap rhythm - second hit being the harder one worked for me). I started from the center - take care as you get to the edges. Oh and if you do this, be sure to brace the inside where the spine of the bike would be with some wood or something of the same width as the mounts - otherwise it could fold in on itself and then is hard to get back onto the bike...I also took the opportunity to hammer over the welded creases along the bottom - still gotta check for leaks... Not there yet so I can't quite rejoice just yet - but thanks for the compliment got a long way to go. Good luck with yours and search YouTube for some vids of people doing it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
                        Neither the Green/Red or the Yellow/Red go anywhere. On the wiring diagram, they seem to be extra wiring for an accessory or something. I have a dissected 550 harness at home I can use to double check for you tonight, if you wish (and if I can remember).

The headlight low beam is white. The high beam (and its indicator light) is yellow. The oil pressure light is powered by the Orange circuit and the Green/Yellow wire from the switch on the crankcase.

There's an accurate wiring diagram in the manual posted on BassCliff's site (pages 164 and 165 of the manual).
                        Weird cuz it seems to have an original white terminal block - I'll post some pictures so you can see where I'm at - pretty embarrassed by how sloppy it looks and have come to grips with the fact that I may have to re-do it or tear it up - luckily I have another stripped down harness from another member that came from a working bike - but wouldn't marry up to the gauges I'm using - if I end up going that route I'll probably look for those mini gauges and some plate for the dummy lights, though I do want turn signals and a headlight or the traffic around here.

I'll take a look again at that manual - been looking at it all day. I'll include a pic of the gauge - not sure what year it's from eBay auction said 550

Here's a pic of the wires in question - both ends are shown

Here's how my harness sits at the moment... Not too proud of it

Right side view

Left side view

Not sure what this is - is it a flasher?

Still gotta finish wiring the main connections - made an electric tray - have a few wires that I need to lengthen - and also had my neighbor weld me a new battery box - was gonna go under tail but I've just decided to keep it simple and located it close to the center of mass by the back of the motor - not sure if it's a bad idea as I've had a chain let loose on me before and crack a case - seems like it would hit the battery tray if that ever happens - I also plan on making a leather cover for the battery and just belting it down with a leather belt.

New battery tray location

It's all pretty ratty

Here are the gauges

And my latest lighting solution in order to mount the fairing...

Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Also picked up this relay for the coil mod

Comment

Oh, I do not envy you that electrical jungle. Its the hardest part for me. Electrical systems. I had a diagram from the haynes manual GS1000 -78,79 and 80. Turns out that the diagrams are not the same. I wish you god luck with that jungle.

Comment

"Just drew the pattern out with a Sharpie on cardboard as a template - eyeballed it on each side till it looked even...traced it (kinda wish I hadn't used the sharpie - but whatever it's committed me to a paint job later on down the road).

I could have been more anal about it but was already three beers in when I got going with it - so after that first hammer swing there was no turning back and I let her rip... "

- Thats what i like to do to. Have a couple of brews, grab a hammer and se where it takes me!

Comment

Dont stress man, its not that hard, just logic. I built a brand new harness fro scratch following only manuals and had little to no experience with electrical. Piece of cake.

HOlla if you need a hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X