77 550 cafe project - couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True - probably would be better easier and cleaner in the end but $$$
    And its gotta be done on the cheap / resourceful side of things for now.

Comment

Let me know if you need a wiring diagram, I have the haynes manual I could scan it if needed.
      1978 GS550 E
      673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
      New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
      for playing in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
        Let me know if you need a wiring diagram, I have the haynes manual I could scan it if needed.
        Are there any differences between the haynes and the clymer? I have the clymer. Thanks for the offer.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

im just about done with the wire tuck on my gs, while i was at it i wanted to clean up the bars, I took off the left hand controls and made started piecing together a switch harness. just gotta relocate the battery to the cowl.

so if you need some help identifying wires or what not, Im sure I can help

Vid of some wire tuckin:
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And one for motivation?
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

That's awesome I can't wait to hear that sweet sound out if mine - and more importantly actually ride it.

Haven't had time for much and it's cold as hell... Located my RR and solenoid today - right above the battery tray. Drilled a couple of holes in the plate where the gas tank tab comes down on to and mounted the solenoid off the inside - the pods should fit and hide it.

I will need some help with a few of these wires left in the pics in my thread - theres a few I gotta sort out by the tray and the front.

Pretty happy with how it's turning out: will need to strip and paint it and cut off unneeded tabs after it's all together.

Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Having trouble finding the corresponding connections from the fuse box the orange striped wires for each circuit don't seem to have a match on the harness - I really wish I could have spoken to the previous owner of this harness and gotten more details about its history. I double checked my eBay account and while the photos of the sale have since been deleted the description says 77 gs 550 harness BF. no idea what BF means ... And supposedly the gauges I got were from a 79. I didn't think the 79 came with gas guage / sensor. As mine has leads for one. Starting to wonder if they came from different year models.

So I'm thinking the O/R from the fuse box will go to the Y/R mystery cable up front - which should then tie into the ignition / starter switch.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I can speak for my 0/R is a power lead to the left side hand controls, and also that light blue solid wire in the 2nd pic is a the lead to the thermal flasher or the blinker ill have to double check.

Comment

Thx so is that ming-yen part shown in the pics above the flasher?

Comment

yes, thats a 2 prong flasher relay,

I dont think my 77 had the same one ill have to check it when i go see it again,

Comment

thx- got some time in the garage today - cut out some metal to match the seat bottom - My current design is to have the four posts of the airtech seat supported by washers and bolted to the pan / metal cut out I made today - and then bolting that to some old door hinges I have and then bolting that to the frame rail... haven't really figured out what to do for a latch... may just find a way to bolt it down or bug my neighbor to weld a nut to one side go through the frame into the nut on the underside of the seat... the seat is also sitting on the edge of the lip of the metal pan cut out... so a little fine cutting will be needed to get rid of the protruding lip around it... I'll try to post a pic soon. Far from actually attaching the seat but I just had to work on something else other than electrical today.

Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Will I need two flashers - or can that one do it for both front and rear signals?

Comment

Started on the seat / upholstery pan - figured I'd make it a two piece deal - maybe hinged so I can put stuff in the hump.
                          Scrapped the hinged idea just gonna make it plug in and fit tight - there's a plywood plug on the back part now.

And got these turn signals - but probably gonna put these on the fz since they're smoked and swap them for the clear ones I have on the fz in about this location? Still need to get a round tail light - I'm thinking one of those old Ford Model T ones could look cool. Well lost that eBay bid so a Harley '68 round light will have to do...
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Quick question on the tail light... I plan to mount it inside the seat - flush more or less on the outside... but I've never cut fiberglass - how should I go about cutting the right sized hole in the fiberglass? I'm worried I'd crack it if I do it wrong... Would a regular hole saw for door knobs work? That was my plan.

Also I just realized that the inside marker light would be blocked by the seat pan if I recess the tail light - and there isn't much room for a license plate under the tail, at least I don't think so - and I'd have to cut out an opening in the seat pan to let that light through if I were to mount it under tail... quite a quandary not sure what to do - so I may have to look into putting a plate holder off the side of the wheel... Or is there a way to jack up the rear maybe get longer suspension - I believe someone recommended against going higher than 13" on the suspension.. not sure why though.

Comment

I'd use a light that can be mounted on the cowl with only small holes, like the Mike's XS British style light (at http://www.mikesxs.net/products-54.html#products). Check out replica antique car lights, also. See http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-tail-light.html

Comment

I see - but I'm really set on the recessed / flush mounted look.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X