1983/1985 GS750 700 engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983/1985 GS750 700 engines

Ok, I need you help here on this one!!I'm working on my 750/700 hybrid project and gathered up all the good parts from both bikes. I'm staying with the 750 ES body work only because parts are easier to find.

The 750 I bought not running, had a rod throught the 4th cylinder and waisted everything. I bought a 700e, and swapped engine, and all the good common parts on the 750. Started up today after I checked/ adjusted valves, and removed tensioner, and made sure all was working ok. Got it running, with an engine noise. Heavier than a valve adjustment, but really noticeable on deceleration. The noise finally quit after the engine shut off and would not restart. I removed the cover and tried to turn the engine. Yup this one is locked up,

I'm needing some advice... do I fix this one,buy a 3rd 750 engine or swap in a more reliable engine. I REALLY like the bike, just tired of waisting money on junk engines...PLEASE HELP!!

Where are you located? Is it stuck in both directions or can you turn it back slightly, a few degrees?

/\/\ac

Comment

I'm in Dayton Ohio... It will not budge , forward OR backwards with the wrench on the crank.

Comment

You say you removed the tensioner, then started it?
        Please please tell you reinstalled that tensioner.....

Comment

There are several GSR members in Dayton. I suggest you contact Josh, Steve, or ? and see if they will help you evaluate your engine.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes I did install the tensioner, rotated by hand, and the chain felt tight.I'll pull the rocker cover off today,after me and the machine cool down a bit.

Are these engines a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by rvnkvn View Post
              Are these engines a problem?
              No, pretty solid usually. Pousseux just posted an '83 GS750E engine that he's parting out. Located in Canada but his prices and shipping to the US have been reasonable in the past. I have a few of these engines also, waiting to build two for my daily and a project I'm just starting but if I have multiples of what you end up needing I might also be able to help.

/\/\ac

Comment

Thanks, I'll get to un- doing everything I just did and start tearing this back down to see what's going on.

Any other engines "fit" in this chassis? Dad and I put 60k on a 77 GS550. Boy I sure like dependability. The 16v's are leaving a bad taste in my mouth...Kevin

Comment

After reading the last post in your other thread I'd at least take off the tank and valve cover and look down the cam chain tunnel with a good light. For some reason your description made me think you might have had something rattling around in there that finally found a home and locked things up.

Good luck!

/\/\ac

Comment

Took the valve cover off, all looks good. removed the cams, pushed down on the valves, all ok. removed the cylinder head, no mark in the chamber or cylinders. Chan guides all look ok... pulled the jug, pistons not broke. 1 and 4 move front to back ok. 2 and 3, well no.2 is stuck in tdc won't budge, and 3 is getting really close to being a copy of #2.

I found the problem, but I'm not too good on splitting the cases and fixing this one. Anyone know what kind of cash it will take to get the bottom end squared up? Is this a problem or is this just MY luck fining all these junk piles that people don't take care of?

Comment

Originally posted by rvnkvn View Post
                      Took the valve cover off, all looks good. removed the cams, pushed down on the valves, all ok. removed the cylinder head, no mark in the chamber or cylinders. Chan guides all look ok... pulled the jug, pistons not broke. 1 and 4 move front to back ok. 2 and 3, well no.2 is stuck in tdc won't budge, and 3 is getting really close to being a copy of #2.

I found the problem, but I'm not too good on splitting the cases and fixing this one. Anyone know what kind of cash it will take to get the bottom end squared up? Is this a problem or is this just MY luck fining all these junk piles that people don't take care of?
                      Sounds like your bad luck on that one. Maybe you can get away with just a bearing set? Dunno, I haven't been in to the bottom end on one of these myself. Do you still have the engine from the other bike? Maybe you can dig into that since it's out and see if you can tackle the bottom end work. Check out the oil pickup screen and the pump while you're at it.

Did anyone use RTV on the valve cover or other gaskets?

/\/\ac

Comment

I thought about that myself. I don't have the special tools..yet to pull the flywheel and remove the clutch basket. I may just put the 750 crank and rods back in the 700 case and bring it back to life.
                        I found some yama-bond on the rocker cover gasket.I think the engine was sitting around for a while. It had some rust on the cam and some really funky looking oil in it.

Comment

Clutch basket doesn't need special tools to remove and you can leave the flywheel on the crank too.

The later ES models in the UK had shell bearing against the older GS750 models that has ball bearing cranks which seem to last better.

Have you tried to check how much oil mixture is in the sump, seeing if petrol or water has got in to lock it up?

Comment

I'll look deeper into removing the parts from the 750 engine. The "funky" oil was drained, and filter was changer before the bike was fired up. Five fresh quarts of Bel-ray 1w40 EXL with an new oil filter BEFORE the engine was fired.

Are the crank shells available anymore?

Anyone have 1 rod from a GS(x) 750es?

Comment

When you pull the crank, do you have to disturb the transmission. The Trans set up really scares me the most.

Comment

Working...
                              X