Similarities between GS850G & GS1000G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similarities between GS850G & GS1000G?

Hi All, I currently ride a GS1000G, but my friend wants to sell a GS850G for cheap. It has an electrical problem. They are both shaft drive, and to my untrained eye they look identical. I was told about 10 years ago that they are basically identical. Is this true. As i want to either use it for spares or have a go at checking wiring.

He took a corner and sliced the wiring loom at the steering head. Which resulted in the negative wire (Blackwhite stripe) burning/shorting out from the CDI. He had copper wire for fuses!

What damage could i expect?
    I was told about 10 years ago that the bikes are basically identical. Is this true?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2011, 03:41 AM.

The 850 engine is heavier, and has less power. Smaller carburetors. The gear ratios are different. Otherwise, it's the same motorcycle.

Sounds like a good project to learn to work on electrical systems.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Isn't the 850 engine narrower?
      I guess that I will have to measure now that you have me wondering.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Isn't the 850 engine narrower?
        I guess that I will have to measure now that you have me wondering.

Daniel
        Not that I can tell between my 1100s and my 850. Tape measure may tell me different though.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, and prompt response. Gonna document this build for sure. The guys engine sounded good. So i imagine i could bolt it in my GS1000G frame, if worst comes to worst. I have a soft spot for the GS850, as it was the first BIG Bike i was taken pillion on.

I am sure to use this forum more, in the upcomming months.

Now just to find R2000 (South African)

Comment

There are slight diffirences in the motors, but nothing that will stop you doing a painess swap over, they are the same dimensions and all the mounts are the same, I have swaped motors between the two on more than one occasion, it is a straight bolt in.
            The 850 is nice an a work horse of note, but the 1000 is just far superior, the extra grunt just makes all the diffirence, and like was said, the 1000 is lighter as well, I have huge respect for the 850 and have owned more than one, but give me the 1000 any day.
            R2000, F^%ck boet, that is for free, hope you grabbed it with both hands, if not, be a buddy and give me a heads up on it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Roadkill2,

Yes, these bikes have the same part number for the frame. If you do swap the engines, while the final drive units are the same, I'm pretty sure you'll have to take the drive shaft assembly with the engine too.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry Flyboy, but you just sold me on it :-)

I will however give back to the "Community" by redoing the Drawing off Basscliff's website. My plan is to do a "layers" "powerpoint" or "Publishers" picture, that will overlay on each other till a final product. From the ground up. My reasoning is that if you have a charging issue or lighting, you can revert to specific cables related. With the bare minimum to make a wiring wreck bike work. eg

1) Ignition main wire, battery
                2) Coils & timing
                3) Charging circuit
                4) Lights

I may need some guidance as to the breakup of the above menu. I also plan to do it in high res. as the scans are killing my eyes.

Comment

Good for you, and don't forget to post lots of pics and keep us updated on your progress as you get her back on the road, i am watching this one with interest.

Comment

not to hijack... would a 1000 head fit an 850 case?
                    -Mark
                    Boston, MA
                    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                    sigpic
                    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                      not to hijack... would a 1000 head fit an 850 case?
                      Have not yet had both engines apart for measuring, but you can't "hijack" a thread that's been dead for six months.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X