GS550M Cafe Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550M Cafe Project

Don't ask my why but I thought it'd be a good idea to build a Cafe Racer.

So, I got permission from my long haired general to release the funds and I started looking.

After trawling the web for ages looking for something very very cheap I came across a GS550. In my opinion it has one cylinder too many but, I thought I'd take a look.

This is the bike.

It's an X-reg GS550M (Katana thingy).

It was a complete rat.
    Oily.
    Noisy.
    Painted satin black with all of the paint cracking etc.
    Knackered head stock bearings.
    Bouncy rear shocks.
    Leaking oil from the cam cover.

So I bought it.

It came with loads of bits and pieces:
    slide carbs
    CV carbs
    2 x heads
    barrels
    pistons
    clutch
    alternator and casing
    starter
    electrical bits and pieces
    2 x sprocket sets
    full set of discs
    chrome front fender
    spare Harris exhaust system

...it gets better...

genuine Belstaff Trialmaster jacket
    pair of vintage Ashman 6 buckle boots
    manuals and books
    set of 70s hard panniers

Also, for my project, it already has fitted:
    steel braided brake lines
    K&N cones

..plus loads of other stuff.

I even road the bike back as it was taxed and MOT'd.

At first it wouldn't rev over 4k or go over 50mph. However, after a bit of riding it started to ride much better, pulled nicely and rev cleanly. It must have had crappy fuel in the carbs.

So. I think I got a nice little bargain here for £250.

That should cafe well, especially if you're following Yaddy's lead...

You have gaiters on there already which really suit the cafe theme, and I reckon that headlight could probably stay too, but definitely keen to see what you do with her
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Right.

Day 1. Started the stripdown.

Removed the top box, saddlebags and side panels. It looks better already.

However, bad news on the swinging arm. Rotten through on the metal plates. I'm not sure of the condition of the rest of the swing arm yet.

Is there a nicer or better direct replacement for the 550 swing arm?

Comment

Any advice on the swingarm?

Also, what is your opinion on this seat unit I've been offered.

It's a Dunstall unit. I think it would look nicer if the "mudguard" part was trimmed flat.

It's only £30 so I'd be daft not to I think.

Comment

Would really need to see it on the bike to see if it would blend in well with the tank unit or not. It is a nice unit though.

Mind you, for only 30 pounds you could always try it then make a profit if it's no good...

As for the swingarm, stick a post in the suspension forum, I'm not sure on them at all...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Would really need to see it on the bike to see if it would blend in well with the tank unit or not. It is a nice unit though.

Mind you, for only 30 pounds you could always try it then make a profit if it's no good...

As for the swingarm, stick a post in the suspension forum, I'm not sure on them at all...
            Excellent. I think I'd be daft not to buy it. He's got a Dunstall tank too. He'll do the two for £70 so I'd definitely make my money back.

I'll stick a post into the suspension forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Mother View Post
              Excellent. I think I'd be daft not to buy it. He's got a Dunstall tank too. He'll do the two for £70 so I'd definitely make my money back.

I'll stick a post into the suspension forum.
              Agreed! Too good to turn down for sure! You never know, both might be able to go on, that would look very nice indeed...

sigpic

Comment

I'd got for it and mock the tank and tail up to see if you like it.

Comment

Knackered swinging arm aside (see my thread in the suspension section), I cracked on with the bike and went out to pick up the seat unit and tank.

I had to shorten the tail slightly and remove the seat/tail section brackets.

What do you think?

I had to move the coils out of the way for the tank to sit that low. I think it needs to go lower. I may be able to get it about 1" lower than shown with some fettling.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I think you're right about the tank and trying to get it a bit lower plus I'm with you on trimming the tail unit 'mudguard' bit.

For your swinger the only thing that bolts straight in is one from another GS550 (doesn't have to be a Katana) but I don't know about the L model.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Agreed, loose the lower bit of the tail piece, it does not suit a Cafe look at all.
                      Should be a nice build, following with interest.
                      Not sure what models you got there, but here the 550 Katana was about as good as it got, the states however got all kinds of stuff we didn't, like the 550ES which was the little brother to the 750ES, which came with an aluminuim swing arm, maybe you can get something like that, that would look super cool on a Cafe.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

+1 on both... lower tank, lose the bit of the gaurd.

Attached is a Dunstall tank on a Honduh cafe... will look sweet if you can get them both mounted right

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, drop the tank as low as ya can. I kinda dig the tail as is. Might help seeing the rear wheel installed.

Comment

More progress.

I've been slowly dismantling the electrics, labelling everything as I go as I'm rubbish with bike electrics, well, all electrics really. As you can guess, it's full of scotch connectors, insulation tape etc so It'll be getting an overhaul.

Continued to strip stuff off it. I dropped the oil. Seems to be 1982 vintage . Lots of particulate steel in the filter and on the magnetic sump plug. I'll keep an eye on that. It could just be from running in as I know it's had loads of engine work.

Next thing is to start hacking brackets off it.

Comment

Hey Animal Mother, just picked up the same bike last week. Mine was even painted flat back like yours as well, LOL! I plan on taking mine back to factory but am anxious to see what yours looks like completed. Got any new pics to show us?
                              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                              X