79' GS750e in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79' GS750e in progress

My bike is coming along slower than I would like because of school, work and storing the bike 20 miles away from where I stay, but I have a few pics and thought I might start my own thread here.

This is the condition when I brought her home. Not too bad, ran, just not as strong as she should.

So the basic steps have begun.

A little side by side.

I decided to paint the bodies while they were out. I have a few parts that are exposed on them just because I didn't realize that those ports are closed off, so I played safe and taped them off during paint. I'll touch them up, but not a priority right now.

And installed again.

Hopefully I get some other work done soon. I'm waiting on new shims to arrive along with my air filter and then it should be ready to ride for the most part.

Sweet. Mine used to look just like that back in 1980.

Daniel

Comment

Nice. I can barely remember when mine looked like that. Any major plans for it?

Also, it sucks that it's twenty miles away, but that looks like a nice large shop to work in.

Comment

Only plans for the moment are small things. Shorter turn signals, perhaps some different bars and I need a new seat. Mines torn up. Probably some other stuff down the road, but for now that's all that comes to mind.

I did get it buttoned up and on the road today. I want to thank anyone and everyone who answered any posts of mine and those who already paved the way in old threads and guides. I never would have imagined I would be able to get it running, but it is. I must say it feels like butter going down the road now. When I think of how it felt coming home I can't believe it. Night and day. I'll post some footage of it running when I get back to my desktop (at my mom's on the laptop).
        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM. Reason: my grammar is made of win

Comment

Okay, I promised some video and here it is.

Running after valve adjust, thorough carb cleaning, new air and oil filter. Valves were long overdue and way out of limits. I'm going to guess it was the f...

I still have to check the new valve clearances because I used the zip tie method (carbon and all that) and I plan to do that tomorrow, but it feels smooth down the road, runs like a scalded dog and had me picking bugs out my teeth afterward because I couldn't stop grinning. Totally worth the month it took me to get to this point. Time for plates now.

Comment

I recently built SS lines for the front brakes, rebuilt the rear master and caliper, and rebuilt the front as well. Didn't completely do the front system though since I didn't realize that rebuilding it involved ordering a new piston for the front master. :/ I for the life of me could not get the rubber dust boot off without ripping it and outside of ordering a whole new piston, it doesn't look like there is a way to get that boot again. So that master is on the back burner for now due to funding.

While I was in the process of doing the lines I figured it was a good time to order some superbike bars and slap those on. That seems to have invited some new gremlins and maybe even awaken some that were slumbering. I need to order some shorter cables or trim my old ones now of course. But the sleepy gremlins were in the electrical department. I think the bars caused enough of a shift in my wiring harness that some crusty wires gave up the ghost and broke loose. I kept popping fuses for my turn signals.

I took that as a sign that it was time to tackle the wiring and clean it all up. Upon removing the battery terminals I immediately found an obvious offender: the ground wire had corroded so badly it had just broke free from the terminal. So I spent the night cleaning and repairing connections with many more to go, but I'm excited to get it done and have peace of mind about it all.

Comment

Seems I have sorted out the fuse popping issue, but now I have a bad solenoid and I am p**sing fuel out my number 2 carb. Looks like I'm going to have to rip the carb rack out and adjust a float and make a run to TSC for a new solenoid. I was really hoping to put some miles on it today too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Hopefully I get some other work done soon. I'm waiting on new shims to arrive along with my air filter and then it should be ready to ride for the most part.
                WHOA How did you tape off the lettering on the side of the carb body, that is a mighty fine detail there!

Comment

Just some painters tape and a razor blade. I only did the outside one since it was soooooooo meticulous. I lost patience to do the rest. Plus I figured next time they get dipped all that work would be ruined anyway.

Comment

Nothing much interesting to add, but we all love pics, so here are a few from the latest work mentioned already.

Some of the nasty goop that was waiting for me in my rear master. I'm glad none of that found it's way into a passage.

This let loose on me just from the twisting involved in loosening the bolt it was on.

Here it was after I buttoned it all back up and went for a ride up to Au Gres and back. Something felt funny underneath on the trip. Upon inspection afterwards I found my chain is so whacked out that I can't get proper tension on it. Too loose in some spots, wayyyyyy too tight in others. PO said it was a new chain, but I'm going to assume he didn't change sprockets since the chain is on it's way out. That or it was a cheapo chain.

With that said, I took it as an invitation to do the 530 conversion. Parts should be here Friday.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2012, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Gonzo...I grew up and lived in AuGres all my life. Moved down to Texas last spring. But between the Aholes that are my family and the no jobs situation i just had to sell what i had and leave.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I would have attempted to write "Chuck was here" in burned rubber on the road for you if I had known that. I don't blame you for getting out. Michigan is pretty rough going for decent jobs right now. I get the feeling when I'm done with my degree that I'm going to have to migrate too.

Comment

Did you get a new tank?
                          The one pictured here is different from the one in yer "Quick start after much needed maintenance" video or is the left side and right side pin striping different?
                          Just curious.
                          The Top photos look different than your 5-10-12 pics here as well.

Also, are the superbike bars a drastic improvement?
                          I don't really care for the stock bars, but I'm leaning towards the Euro touring or the Renthal Streetfighter bars.

Comment

Nope, same tank Notz. I think it just might be the lighting. Indoor vs natural light might have whacked the white balance a little bit.

I like the look of the superbikes, but the more I ride, I wonder if something with a little more pullback would be better for me. The left side of my neck starts to get stiff after a bit. Maybe I just haven't settled into the new stance properly though. Steering can be a bit stiffer at low speeds from the lack of leverage, but it's not that bad really. Some more time with them is needed I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X