• Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 rebuild question

alrighty so i have 3 GS bikes,

a 450 (100% factory)
    an 850 (also 100% factory)
    and then i have my 1100...

im wanting to get a little crazy with the 1100... ive modified the suspension and frame so that it sits lower. ive bought alot of aftermarket parts, )crash bars, HID headlight, LED turn signals, drag bar, grips, and so on... my question is this...

I bought aftermarket pod air filters AND took the muffler off of the exhaust and put a chrome turn-down tip and wrapped the exhaust. I KNOW it needs rejetted, its running lean and its popping, and overheating a little.

I HAVE spent alot of time searching the forums, I have read ALOT of material on rebuilding carbs. rejetting carbs. and the effects pods and free flow exhausts have on performance. i know what im getting myself into. this is my fun "cool" looking bike.

Unfortunately all of the material i have read through is not specific to my bike. its for different size engine, different carbs and so on. before i spend another hundred dollars on carb parts i want to make sure i am getting the right size jets and needles.

Again i have a 1982 gs1100. all i really want to know is what size jets do i need, where can i get them, and is there anything else i need to do in order for the bike to "accept" the mods ive done.

i have searched z1 enterprises and bikebandit.com and a few other sites. i have found jet kits for GS's but there are many different ones greatly varying in price and description. i just need a little guidance. thank you in advance.

PS. i have already completely broken down and rebuilt the carbs. everything has been cleaned and air compressed and put back together, new o-rings and gaskets and even new jets. BUT they are the factory jets so i just want to know what size i need and where to find them. If someone could post a link i would be very appreciative.

THANKS!

call z1 and talk to chris. he's always helped me out. just tell him what u did and where u want to go.

Comment

Carb tune

I'll second Smokie's advice. Chris is da man.

A second option is the Dynojet kit. It comes with Stage I and III jetting options, which have to do with what mods you've done, and recommendations on which jets to install.

In any case, my advice is to not get on this thing too much until you've richened up the jetting, especially the main. If you are two, maybe three sizes too small on this jet (you probably are), the engine is probably getting hotter than you think. Even if you stuck one in a size too big you'd be better off than two or three sizes too lean.

Comment

Is this a shafty or chain?
        Do not ride this bike until you rejet
        You will melt something
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So, just a turn down and no muffler?
          To stop the popping under deceleration, try swapping in 47.5 pilot jets.
          And get the DJ stage 3 kit, you will probably never get it to run properly without it.
          edit: (assuming its an 1100E)

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but would DJ stage 3 jetting be necessary for a 650 shaft driven with pod filters and 4 to 1 exhaust? What about if I stick to a 4 to 2 exhaust?

Also, is there any cheaper alternative to buying the DJ kit?

Comment

Working...
            X