Almost done...here ya go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost done...here ya go

This is my 1978 GS750, kinda turned it into a mellow cafe style so to speak, didnt hack into it but made it more my style with clip ons, and other odds and ends. Not done yet but have only had for a few weeks.

Here is a before pic.

And here is what it looks like today....

loks good, BUT you gotta replace those exhausts and buy a nicer looking seat to match the rest of the bikes mojo
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

How do like those shocks?
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

The exhaust sounds good so I dont have plans for that and it runs great so I dont want to have to mess with rejetting it...and yes the seat needs to go, im not done with the bike yet, this is just what I have so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          How do like those shocks?
          There not bad for $109, they hold my fat a$$ up, but I havent done any hard riding with them.

They look good and raised the rear up a bit like I wanted so they are doing the job thus far.

Comment

That's a fine looking bike. Did you do the paint yourself ?
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              That's a fine looking bike. Did you do the paint yourself ?

Thanks and yes sir, did the paint the other day. I used to do custom airbrushing and painting back in college so this was no trouble for me. The only thing actually painted is the tank and the headlight bucket...my initial plan was to vinyl wrap it so I got started doing the smaller pieces and then couldnt find a piece big enough to do the tank that matched so I just painted. Turned out good.

Oh and obviously the frame, swingarm and rims were painted too.

Comment

it looks nice.
                Do yourself a favour and affix a front fender.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  it looks nice.
                  Well heres the story on the front fender...I got the bike in running condition and had only ridden it once around the block before buying it so once it was road worthy I took it up the road to home depot to get some bolts and what not and hit a big bump while braking and the thing bottoms out so hard it put some big dents in the fender...so after that happening I took the forks off and found out their was virtually no oil in the forks.

So I took it off and probably wont put it back on unless I find a new one.

Comment

Up until today, I had never heard of vinyl wrap. But googled it after reading your post. Is this a good alternative to painting ? From the posts I read it appears to be 100% reversible. Is this true ?
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Different seat and that thing would be bad ass, are those shocks on the wrong sides?? usually the res points to the rear....

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Up until today, I had never heard of vinyl wrap. But googled it after reading your post. Is this a good alternative to painting ? From the posts I read it appears to be 100% reversible. Is this true ?

I did it because I live in an apartment and really didnt have a place to paint so I thought I would do a vinyl wrap instead, you can take it off whenever you want and your paint is untouched underneath, you may get some residue but that comes off with alcohol or another goo off product.

Different seat and that thing would be bad ass, are those shocks on the wrong sides?? usually the res points to the rear....
                        The reservoir doesnt matter on these I can easily switch it to face the rear, but I liked how the angle of the reservoir bracket matched the angle of the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          it looks nice.
                          I am rebuilding my gs as a cafe racer and I kind of like the look without the front fender, but it seems like a structural component of the front suspension and fork. Will the front end be weaker, or will the bike handle differently without the front fender?

Comment

Originally posted by snyderman View Post
                            I am rebuilding my gs as a cafe racer and I kind of like the look without the front fender, but it seems like a structural component of the front suspension and fork. Will the front end be weaker, or will the bike handle differently without the front fender?
                            if you dont want a fender, get a fork brace instead
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

+1. With no fender or brace, the front wheel can twist independently from the triple tree. It's not a lot, but it doesn't take much either.

Comment

Working...
                              X