Is this bike worth 1300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this bike worth 1300?

1400 with the "set of color-matched Vetter fairing, panniers and top box". I have a 78 suzuki gs1000 now so everything will be interchangeable... loved the bike so much I have to get another Unfortunately engine is a goner (going to replace it eventually).

The exhaust is a Jardine system with a grafted on a muffler from an early 1990s GSXR1000.

Well let me know if you think its worth the 1300, going to go look and test drive it tonight. I bought my previous gs1000 for only 800, which might of been a steal!

Thanks as always guys!

Looks ok to me and with a few of the jobs done recently sounds as if it's been cared for, That's only £800 or so over here which would be a steal.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Looks like braided lines up front as well. if you could get him to throw in all the Vetter stuff for $1300 it would be worth if for sure. You could sell the Vetter equipment and make the bike less. Make sure the bikes running really well though. Nothing worse that putting a 4 into 1 on and not having the bike jetted properly. Check the plugs to make sure she hasn't been running lean forever and has valve damage or worse from not having that 4 into 1 properly set up. If she's clean and idling well probably worth the $1300.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks, by checking the plugs you mean spark plugs? Surely you mean something else and my brain isnt making the connection. He's pretty content on wanting 1400 with the vetter stuff included, gonna try to haggle him to at least 1350 though.

Comment

Yeah spark plugs. If you aren't familiar with how a lean or rich plug looks, google some images.

Comment

Thanks I found a good website that shows what they should look like. When I go check it out tonight I'm going to have him take them off himself so I can look at them before I make a purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              That's only £800 or so over here which would be a steal.
              Thanks for the reminder

Comment

He doesn't really mention much about how the bike runs.
                If I'd mentioned owning and working on a bike for a few years and got it running awesome I'd dang sure brag about it in a for sale ad.
                Also no mention of everything working like its supposed to. Dash lights, sigs etc..

I think if it ran really good, idled good and started good and everything works like as intended by the factory it might be worth it. Don't fret too much on the cosmetics as long as there arent any odd shaped fasteners and crap strapped together with a clothes hanger. It'll give ya something to do on the bike for a while.

Look inside the tank, under the seat and behind the side covers. Be sure all locks work, preferably with the same key. Look for fork oil seapage.

I'd let him keep the luggage.
                Last edited by Octain; 07-22-2011, 05:29 PM.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I see what your saying Octain, all he says is it's a "fully working bike", so hopefully that means everything works, never know on Craigslist though... I will be sure to look under the seat and hopefully not to find a lot of rubbish!

Why let him keep the luggage? I'm gonna tell him I really want the luggage to be included for 1300 and if he wont budge I'll go 1340. But no more

I plan on using a nice product called Dupli-Color Shadow that allows you to black out chrome, so all the chrome will be blacked out with a glossy finish when I'm done

Comment

Check stuff like the fuel gauge, tach, lights, brakes. Check to make sure the right and left turn signals flash and turn off automatically, each side.
                    A new turn signal control unit retails for $441.50 even though you can get
                    one for $336 and change. If it doesn't you can bring that asking price down. Check the stretch in the chain and the condition of the sprokets.
                    Wring it out and check for clutch slippage and smoothness. It should idle
                    smoothly at a fairly slow rpm, say 1K.
                    If you already have a '78 you pretty much know what to check for.
                    If the bike has no issues I would buy it but I'm not much of a haggler,
                    GS1000's are getting scarcer, but seems to be pretty abundant of late.
                    You can sell the luggage or just not buy it.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Sedelen wow thanks a lot on the heads up about the turn signal control unit! I was honestly figuring that would be a cheap fix if they were faulty. I personally don't care too much about fixing it but if it saves me some money buying it I'll act like I care a whole lot! haha

Comment

Thanks for everyone who gave me some help/ advice. I got it Runs like a charm! Very nice and in great shape! Guy that sold it was a nice guy too, had all the paperwork on every part hes put into it, the exhaust system was almost 400 bucks!! Wow.

Anyways next few days you wont hear from me, I'll be glued to the seat!!!

Thanks, much love
                        79gs1000

Comment

Congrats on the new bike!! sounds like you got a good one. Lets see some good pictures of her on the road when you get out of the saddle.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
                            Thanks for everyone who gave me some help/ advice. I got it Runs like a charm! Very nice and in great shape! Guy that sold it was a nice guy too, had all the paperwork on every part hes put into it, the exhaust system was almost 400 bucks!! Wow.

Thanks, much love
                            79gs1000
                            Killer Diller!!
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post

Thanks, much love
                              79gs1000
                              I just love happy endings!
                              Perhaps you should've got one in worse shape, hate to think of all the fun you missed wrenching! Wished that happened to me.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X