No announcement yet.

GSX 400E -83 chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing jig , your efforts to pre-plan before anything was cut will pay off.

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
    looking good !

are you planning to extend the frame?
    Oh sure.... NOW you bring it up!
    I think he want to keep the stock geometry.
    Truthfully, I have been thinking of a jig that would be adjustable in length for just that reason. Two cuts here and a piece of next size either smaller or larger box tubing installed to keep it all square and it could be stretched. Then tacked in position...

Of course then comes the threaded round stock (all-thread) with two cones threaded on and jam nuts to hold the neck in position that pivots at the bottom with a protractor (angle finder) built in to measure the degree change to the rake... and Casters! it needs to mounted on casters so I can move it around the shop ... and... and ...and

Comment

Wow, it was a long time since I posted anything here, sorry 'bout that!

The work continues quite slowly but the last week have proven some bigger changes in the bike!

I had to produce some plates to fill the gaps in the plates where the rear axles goes so that I could get the tubes weld correctly from the front of the frame.

After filling up the gaps I cut new angles on the plates to be perpendicular to the tubes coming in on the plates.

After the plates were produced I could attach the bent tubes, first by tape to get the mockup and today I welded on some of the tubes.

Tomorrow I will attach the complete rear wheel and then put in the cross-tubes below and above the rear wheel. When that is finished I'll dissassemble everything from the frame so that I can weld the new tubes completely (just welded on one side now due to bad positioning of me).

After the frame is welded I'll go on with the motor and so forth, yeah you know the drill...

I was thinking about one thing... You guys can see the wheels I have on the bike, they should be for tires 3.50 -18 in the rear. My question is if 4.00 -18 would fit on these wheels? I am considering buying this tire and of course I want to know before I buy it that the bigger dimension would fit

Comment

MotoX,
        Do you have a shop manual for your 400E?
        I am in great need

Comment

Working...
        X