No announcement yet.

The "Scraps Racer" project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that tail piece is anything like your tank, it is sure to be a thing of beauty.

Comment

Oh man I wish I had an english wheel in my garage....

Comment

Originally posted by Calliway View Post
        Oh man I wish I had an english wheel in my garage....
        I was just wishing the very same thing but then I realized it would only waste a lot of my time. Somehow I doubt I would just start cranking out perfectly curved gas tanks.

Comment

The tail cowling is formed. It needs some fasteners before finishing. Next thing after that is to swap the forks to-99 600 GSXR forks,
          then wheels to -89 1100 GSXR wheels and then few more things before the whole bike is ready to test ride.

Comment

Test fitting new forks and front wheel:

Comment

Looks great to me, so far.
              The proportions of the tank and seat to each other seems right and again those two pieces seem right towards the size of the bike.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

That is just beautiful work! Have any interest in doing another set to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Looks great to me, so far.
                  The proportions of the tank and seat to each other seems right and again those two pieces seem right towards the size of the bike.
                  Ditto!

Keep indulging us with the pics please
                  GS850GT

Comment

blower,

sorry to bring down the wonderful thread with my asenine questions but would you mind sharing your tips on how you did the tail. Is that a buck (and what is it made of) underneath the tail. And did you hammer form it all or run it in a e-wheel? I am trying to decide on the style of tail and then tempt fate (hopefully you can share the secret to make it easier) with my own hack version of a tail.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by hotrods316 View Post
                      blower,

sorry to bring down the wonderful thread with my asenine questions but would you mind sharing your tips on how you did the tail. Is that a buck (and what is it made of) underneath the tail. And did you hammer form it all or run it in a e-wheel? I am trying to decide on the style of tail and then tempt fate (hopefully you can share the secret to make it easier) with my own hack version of a tail.

Thanks

Matt
                      First I made a tail jigg from plywood to get the both halves equal.
                      Then I cut about the size needed from aluminum sheet. Annealing the aluminum
                      and then hammering - e-wheel - fitting - hammering - e-wheel - fitting - hammering
                      - etc. When itīs finally about the right form, then with slapper hammer and hand anvils.
                      It take time, but itīs rewarding, when finally get the parts finished :-)

@ DMorris
                      Sorry to tell, but I have no time to made another set.

Comment

OK, I guess if you won't sell me a set, I'll have to watch the fine job you are doing..... More pictures please!

Comment

Made spacers for the wheels & brake discs, changed wheel bearings, ultracleaned the carbs and
                          made seat under part to the tail:

Comment

Hey Blower, don't leave us hanging! How about an update?

Comment

Doesnīt happened much with the project bike in last month.
                              Had only one day "garage time".

Start with the fuel tank finishing. I grind away the welds on the top of the tank and
                              start sanding down all small bumps.
                              I modified the original footpegs to look more "racy" (not finished yet).
                              The seat is nearly done.

Comment

Your project is coming along nicely!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X