Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the HECK is this!? (inside my engine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the HECK is this!? (inside my engine)

So im in the process of replacing the starter clutch on my 1981 gs1100...

I take the side cover off...

Remove the stator...

and begin on removing the large center nut that holds that magnetic "wheel like" part off...

that's when i realize that there is an odd, hard, "plastic like" material on the inside portion of that part! i"m having trouble removing it even with a flathead screwdriver.

maybe something got into my engine and hardened with heat over time?

but i also had an episode two weeks ago, where my bike severely overheated, (why im replacing my starter clutch, its scraping badly)

does anyone know what this might be? if its something normal that occurs with time than i will be very surprised.

if it was caused by overheating is there anything else i should do maintenance wise before i start riding again?

really im just looking for someone to give me some insight on this oddity before i continue on with my repairs...

THANKS!

Sincerely,
    ~Nate

close up

here is a closer image of the foreign material inside that wheel. its also inside grooves and inside little nooks and cranny's all over that "wheel" like part.

i dont know if its anywhere else because i wanted some feedback before i proceeded any further...

again, the only reason why im even doing this maintenance is because my bike severely over-heated, and immediately afterwords a "scraping" sound started coming from that GENERAL area....

after starting a thread on here, i was told it was my starter clutch that had gone bad because of the heat?...

PLEASE tell me if you have another opinion on what may be wrong!

but at the moment that's what im taking apart... once disassembled im going to examine the parts (probably post a thread for advice) and then continue on with the repair....

again, any input is useful!...

THANKS AGAIN!

Sincerely,
    ~Nate

Comment

Put the screwdriver down. I'm not sure but I think the stuff is the epoxy used to set magnets in the rotor or seal them or something... It's comon, and I wouldn't try to remove it.

Comment

Hi,

Move along. Nothing to see here.

That's the same goop inside my magnetic rotor. I agree with Mr. TCK, probably glue for the magnets.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

awesome

i will leave it alone and continue along with my repairs, thanks!

Comment

That part is "balanced" at the factory with the epoxy in place. removing any of it will upset the balance and make the motor vibrate more, stessing the crank. Overheating the engine should not have effected it or the starter clutch. the oil would turn to carbon before any of those parts would see heat damage. It is possible though that some aftermarket stators will have their wire insalation melt and oose into the magnet housing and starter clutch. But that will be a dark brown varnish looking flakes, and would flick away fairly easily. The stator usually shorts out when this happens though, so check it closely.

Comment

since this thread has about run its course with a simple answer, I will jump on here and ask about my "epoxy" issue. The same picture that he posted below shows the crank end with the big nut on it. My 80 1100 e has a big glob of epoxy like stuff on the nut/exposed crank end that is threaded. is this a factory "lock tight" like epoxy application? I am not doing any bottom end work, just curious .

Comment

To my knowlege they didn't use any big gobs of locktite that would leave a blob on the nut. They did use some thick paint across the nut and end of the crank to tell if the nut had been disturbed (moved). But it wasn't anything more than what could have been wiped on with a small brush.

Comment

here it is

1980 gs 1100 E Whats the stuff on the crank end/nut? What is the tiny allen head bolt on the side that goes in at an angle? Is this all normal or does it suggest some past engine work/performance upgrade? My first gs, not sure what "standard" would look like.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    1980 gs 1100 E Whats the stuff on the crank end/nut? What is the tiny allen head bolt on the side that goes in at an angle? Is this all normal or does it suggest some past engine work/performance upgrade? My first gs, not sure what "standard" would look like.
                    **anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Comment

All the goo and the angled set-screw are definitely NOT stock.

Looks like someone was paranoid about their alt-rotor nut coming loose. Or, maybe the threads on the crank end got buggered/dinged/stripped, and this was an attempted work-around.

On 16V GS1100s, there is no key, pin, etc. to secure the alt rotor to the crankshaft end, just a taper with tension provided by the big nut.

GS1100 alt rotors have been known to loosen/spin on the crank end, particularly if the bike's been raced (i.e. frequent rapid acceleration). I've seen a few GS1100 alt rotors where the inner taper was galled up, due to loosening.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                        **anyone? anyone? Bueller?
                        That's pretty good, I'm still laughing......
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I was once told the reddish stuff was the melted off coating of the stator windings. The material on the inside of my rotor was a ceramic like material. My stator was fired crispy.
                          1979 GS850G
                          2004 SV650N track bike
                          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

another question...

i actually have another question that i was hoping someone could help me with...

so AFTER my bike overheated it started making a scraping sound from the general area we have been talking about. i was told through another thread that it was most likely my starter clutch...

i have since removed the assembly but everything looks fine, i dont see any rounded gears, grooves caused by scraping, or anything really, it looks totally fine.

is this something i would NOT be able to see just by looking at it? or should it be obvious?

IF it SHOULD be obvious and i cant see anything, what should be my next move on hunting down this scraping sound?

Also, the scraping only occurs when i am moving not when stopped. it matches my speed... even if im going 50mph and pull the clutch and go into neutral it will still scrape untill i come to a stop.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
                            ~Nate
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

option?

is this something i could possibly look into doing? just a repair kit?

just new springs, rollers, and push pieces?

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X