Project GS1000 with GS1100G D-Port Head, 1100G Cylinder & Mikuni RS34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
    Yes, The bolt pattern is identical on the GS1100 & GS1000 2V are the same. On second thought, the 73mm cylinder bore mated to a 70mm Combustion Chamber might result in some strange combustion results . . .
    For sure, but no more than the oversize piston kits I suppose?
    I wonder if the design of the pistons differs between a std GS 1100 and say Wiseco pistons?
    In general it's good design practice to have a squish area on the surround of the piston.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
      For sure, but no more than the oversize piston kits I suppose?
      I wonder if the design of the pistons differs between a std GS 1100 and say Wiseco pistons?
      In general it's good design practice to have a squish area on the surround of the piston.
      Yeah, you are right about the Wiseco piston kits.

I have the set of GS1000 9:2:1 ART pistons they appear to very samiliar to Wiseco 73 & 73.5 mm pistons. I think the Wiseco's crown is bit higher
      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Based on Sharpy's & Isleoman's recommendation I paint the cylinder head & cylinder with VHT SP127 Universal Aluminum

I purchased three cans of VHT and barely used 1 1/2 cans between the parts shown

Next, I bake both per the instructions

Steve

Comment

Next I start assembling the Valve components in the 1100G Head. I decide to go with stock Suzuki valve springs because the Andrews S1 cam is a mild grind. I won these NOS set from a guy in South Africa.

I get lucky and the GS1000 tach drive assembly slips right in too.

Next I install the OEM retainers, install new OEM valve stem seals and start installing the 1100G buckets. I install assembly lube on those which do not spin around easily

Steve

Comment

Next, I installed new carb boots, with O-rings for the larger RS34/CV Carbs

Next prep surfaces for new (Used) 73.5 pistons. I remove the oil from the gallies with a syringe to avoid contact with gaskets. Wish I could have painted the cases
            Steve

Comment

Start installing wiseco 1100cc pistons with new rings & circlips etc. I like the old spiral lock circlips

All 4 slugs installed, space the gap per instruction and next step

Steve

Comment

The engine is coming together nicely! And it looks clean enough to eat off of. Kudos to you and keep up the good work. This bike will be immaculate when finished I think.

Comment

its looking nice!!! very clean!!!

I wonder what my wifey would think about having the jugs and head in the oven though?!

Comment

Nice work Steve.

I'm looking at using VHT SP127 on the crankcase, cylinders, head and cam cover on my BB 850. Did you use the primer that they recommend? They also suggest using a clear coat to finish off.

Do you remember if Sharpy used the primer, or just de-greased and roughened up the surfaces with 320 w&d paper prior to painting?

I had my surfaces soda blasted, so they probably need roughing up, but not sure whether to prime them or not. What do you think?
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                      The engine is coming together nicely! And it looks clean enough to eat off of. Kudos to you and keep up the good work. This bike will be immaculate when finished I think.
                      Tim Tom,
                      Thanks the complement, to be honest my bike has always been that clean. I used to park it inside the NJIT campus next to the Student Center so the locals would not have any opportunities.

Originally posted by drivera84
                      its looking nice!!! very clean!!!

I wonder what my wifey would think about having the jugs and head in the oven though?! .
                      Just tell her with a straight face, "A man has to do what a man has to do."
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                        Nice work Steve.

I'm looking at using VHT SP127 on the crankcase, cylinders, head and cam cover on my BB 850. Did you use the primer that they recommend? They also suggest using a clear coat to finish off.

Do you remember if Sharpy used the primer, or just de-greased and roughened up the surfaces with 320 w&d paper prior to painting?

I had my surfaces soda blasted, so they probably need roughing up, but not sure whether to prime them or not. What do you think?
                        Hi Iain,
                        I took the Head, Cylinder, Valve Cover and had a local Machine Shop bead blast. Once it was returned my prep was limited to cleaning the parts with lacquer thinner and then just applied the VHT SP127. No primer or other.

I think Sharpy did the same things and we had a long discussion about it in the apperance section. I copied the thread below but I am really happy with the results and its been cycled numerous times. If you can bead blast I would go that route and I would skip the primer step. Less paint is probably better . . . Thumbs up to VHT SP127. Like Sharpy stated damn near identical to OEM

Steve

Comment

Next I recruit my 21 year old next door neighbor to help me with the process of installing the cylinders. He is mechanically inclined as I am I Phone 5 savy. After a couple of attempts he gets the hang of squeezing the pistons rings inside the OD of the piston so the cylinder drops down evenly. Could not take any pics of that process, oh well

Tech Note: You can use either a GS1000 or GS110OG base gasket. The 1000 measures .020" thick while the 1100G gasket is nearly twice as thick (.039"). The 1100G gasket will have to be cut out a little larger arounf the egg shaped O-rings otherwise those O-rings won't fit. Other than that they are interchangeable. I have no idea why Suzuki made the base gasket thicker but I figured it was from warranty lessons learned so I used the 1100G base gasket

Before installing stuff, I wipe the liners down with a light coat of 15W-40

Last edited by srsupertrap; 09-25-2011, 10:53 PM.
                          Steve

Comment

Steve, how far down below the deck surface is the piston crown? Hard to tell from the photo but maybe that thinner base gasket will give you zero deck height, which is what I think you want.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Steve.........thanks for that link.

After a light 320 sanding, I've decided to go with the VHT SP148 primer and one coat of VHT SP127A Uni Ali. I'll finishing off with 2 coats of VHT SP145 clear to add protection against future fuel, brake fluid or acid spills.

Ed, I think most of the GS cylinders are designed to allow the pistons to sit 0.020" inside the hole, with the stock base gasket at 0.020".

If Steve's outer pistons are at TDC, they look to be around 1mm (0.040") in the hole.
                              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                Steve, how far down below the deck surface is the piston crown? Hard to tell from the photo but maybe that thinner base gasket will give you zero deck height, which is what I think you want.
                                Well I guess a short explanation is required, the photos above were actaully taken after I had a local machine shop remove .040" off the top. I had prevously installed the same cylinder, temporaily tightened it down so I could take my deck height measurement. I would have had to removed .020" with the stock GS1000 base gasket since the pistons were really down in the "hole"
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X