No announcement yet.

Project GS1000 with GS1100G D-Port Head, 1100G Cylinder & Mikuni RS34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without paying too much attention to the last reply, I bolted down the cylinder to the engine case by using some plumbing fittings that were lying around and then took measurements with my Mitutoyo D/C

Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
      Tim Tom,
      Thanks the complement, to be honest my bike has always been that clean. I used to park it inside the NJIT campus next to the Student Center so the locals would not have any opportunities.

Haha I've seen plenty of bikes parked there before. Usually on the first nice spring days the campus gets over run with bikers who all park in the same spot, where parking is not 'encouraged'. Its a neat sight.

Your build continues to be awesome. And kudos for getting the neighbor kid involved. Too many kids his / my age have no idea how to put something together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
        Haha I've seen plenty of bikes parked there before. Usually on the first nice spring days the campus gets over run with bikers who all park in the same spot, where parking is not 'encouraged'. Its a neat sight.

Your build continues to be awesome. And kudos for getting the neighbor kid involved. Too many kids his / my age have no idea how to put something together.
        I would agree that most kids (21 Year Old) know less than the Old Farts (50+ Years Old) like me when we were in our early twenties. Like me not digress though, when I asked for a an extra set of hands Sean was willing to listern & help out.

Found later he is already owned a very new Suzuki GSxR 1100 which he crashed was later stolen. Now has a GSxR 600 but does not run at the moment. I think its just the battery is No Good from what I can gather, I will have to help out but he strapped for cash with a young wife & baby boy. Priorities
        Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM.
        Steve

Comment

Next, I started taking measurements with my trusty Mutoyo Digital Caliper. I decided to take measurements at both Cylinder #1 & #4. I take two measurements for each cylinder along the wrist pin axis (In between the valves). Base Gasket .039"

Deck Height measurements: CYLINDER #1 (In.)
          Measurement #1 .041" & .044"
          Measurement #2 .041" & .044"
          Measurement #3 .043" & .044"
          Measurement #4 .041" & .043"
          Measurement #5 .043" & .044"

Deck Height measurements: CYLINDER #4 (In.)
          Measurement #1 .046" & .047"
          Measurement #2 .0465" & .0475"
          Measurement #3 .0475" & .0475"
          Measurement #4 .047" & .047"
          Measurement #5 .047" & .047"

PS: This picture shows me trying to hold the D/C while taking the measurement at the same time
          Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-03-2011, 10:57 PM.
          Steve

Comment

I pull the cylinder back off and send it to American Machining in Golden, CO. Randy Albright is the owner, master machinist, old bike nut, great guy, very knowledable and fair pricing. I drop off my cylinder and instruct him to remove .040" off the top
            NOTE: Even if I used the stock OEM GS1000 base gasket I would have had to remove .021". Readers will recall the GS1100G Base Gasket is .039" while the GS1000 Base Gasket is .020"

Here are couple of pics of Randy's 1972 Triumph Tiger 650 he recently picked up from Maine. Randy was a factory wrench back in the 70's so not only can he fix them he also knows the design flaws and the necessary modifications.

Can you guess the other?. . . Ooh Ooh It's a dead man find

Now my engine looks like this again as I wait

Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM.
            Steve

Comment

While waiting for the head to get trimmed down to specification above, I decide to add the following enhancements. I remove my Falicon welded clutch basket remove the oil pump gears and replace them with a set of GS750 2V oil pump gears.

CAREFULL: Being the dumb ass, while removing the gears I dropped the dowel pin right into the oil pan . . . . got lucky and retrieved it with the flexible magnet. I used a piece of aluminum foil the first time and then skipped the foil and the next time I dropped it right in the hole. Use the aluminum foil so you don't have to go fishing

Here are the stock GS1000 oil pump gears

Oil Pump gears removed

GS750 Oil Pump Gears & overpriced Clutch Hub Nut

Next I Install the GS750 oil pump gears . . . Thanks 80GS750
              Note: It's even clean on the inside

Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM.
              Steve

Comment

Next, I reinstall the clutch basket and tighten it down with a Falicon Clutch Hub Nut which probably came from APE. It actually states GS1100 but screws right on my GS1000. I am pretty sure the clutch hub nuts are interchangeable between the 1000, 1100 & 1150

I start installing the clutch pack, the stock aluminum nut can be seen on the right . . . messy
                On a previous mission I cleaned up the indentations in the cluch hub sleeve but filing each groove out.
                Very time consuming

New Nut ready to be installed

Clutch Plates reinstalled . . . ready to be buttoned up
                Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-12-2011, 10:05 PM.
                Steve

Comment

it looks to me like the indentations on the basket are still there ... ??
                  GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                    it looks to me like the indentations on the basket are still there ... ??
                    Psyguy,
                    I mean the identations that the clutch plates make in the clutch sleeve V-grooves. When we look at a used clutch sleeve you can clearly see where the clutch plates have "dug" into those grooves. Most people just replace the entire clutch sleeve like posplayr did in "Restore Thread".

Sorry, I have no pics but believe me it was time consuming.

steve
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                      Psyguy,
                      I mean the identations that the clutch plates make in the clutch sleeve V-grooves. When we look at a used clutch sleeve you can clearly see where the clutch plates have "dug" into those grooves. Most people just replace the entire clutch sleeve like posplayr did in "Restore Thread".

Sorry, I have no pics but believe me it was time consuming.

steve
                      I did the same repair/mod to my 850 sleeve with a file. It's made a big improvement in clutch operation.
                      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Oh i see what you mean, Steve (and Ian) but I thought that filing out the indentations in the basket is as important for the smooth clutch operation - and was pointing out that the basket in your pic seem to have identations visible... but maybe I'm mistaken?
                        GS850GT

Comment

Before I button up the clutch assembly I address some minor cosmetic issues. Before the Internet, Forum etc I read about polishing aluminum engine cases in a 1984 Motorcyclist article. It was a one page article and they performed the magic on a GS1000 clutch cover which many of you old farts read too. I polished mine back in 1985 and its held up remarkable well since I don't ride in the rain.

My clutch cover was pretty good but I hand sand some the big scratches out and then proceed to polish with #2000 grit. I leave out the steps but here is the final result:

Steve

Comment

Wow, that's a monumental BLING factor!
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              Wow, that's a monumental BLING factor!
                              Psyguy, thanks for the complement and following the thread. It should get more interesting as I assembly the engine. Before I did that (past tense) I sand down the Supertrapp header once again by hand . . . . I have probably done this ten times since I bought back in 1982 for $229. I got my money's worth considering the replacement cost

I have completed the sanding & ready to spray with VHT

Sprayed with VHT SP 102 Flat Black

Steve

Comment

I get the cylinder back from the shop and quickly prep everything for assembly. I make sure there is no excess oil in the galleries that could soak the new gasket. I install the cylinder, tighten things and I like the results. Pretty flush

Drop the new head gasket in place: No Sealer, RTV or other tacky goop. BTW the Cometic head gasket is the same for the Wiseco 1085 & 1100 Kits

Next I drop the 1100G Head on. So you dodn't have to look back the head was done by Kleeme Performance in Iowa.
                                New stuff: 3 Angle valve job, new OEM Valve Springs & Street Port

Last edited by srsupertrap; 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X