• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife said I need a project bike so I got a gs850glt

She came out to the garage and said “let’s go for a ride”
    Then noticed the windshield, tank, seat, front fender
    And various other parts scattered around the garage
    From my 99 nomad she asked “what happened what’s wrong with the bike “I told her nothing I was just putting on some new cable covers and adding a few led’s
    So starts my 1980 gs850glt project
    The po wanted to turn it into a bobber but gave up
    It had been sitting outside for a pretty long time
    Was leaking a lot of oil could tell where some of the oil was coming from by where there was more grass clippings stuck but the tires looked like they were not very old and it started and kind of ran a little and had a title. So I bought it. After we get it in the truck he brings out the box with the rest of the parts he had taken off. It also had a Clymer manual, new valve cover gasket, valve shims and a dyna s (ds3-2) ignition still in the box
    Get it home and give it a good bath took off the tank gas looked and smelled fresh but drained it anyways (found out the tank was already coated)
    Then drained about 2 more gallons from the crank case
    Was thinking oh crap going to have to re build the engine plugs didn’t look bad so just threw in some cheap car oil ran it for a couple of minutes Did a compression test
    The next day engine cold 96 95 99 90 its below specs min 100 but I think (hope) once I get it running good add a little sea foam then change the oil it should meet specks
    Wet test they were all good 160-180
    This is my first real project bike and I’m worried that it’s going to be a money pit it still barley runs. touch the throttle and it dies can’t even keep it going for more than a few minutes leaks oil all over the place and still don’t know if the clutch or drive train is ok
    So I forgo doing things the right way and just see what I can do without spending much money
    I pull the carbs they look pretty clean and look like they have new floats carb holder boot are also new
    2 of Cv pistons were sticking so I cleaned them and sprayed all the passages with carb cleaner
    The diaphragm & screen in the petcock looked like it may be new but there was some varnish so I cleaned it up
    Checked the valves but only with the .008mm need to buy a new feeler gauge that goes to .003
    Threw it back together started fine don’t even need to choke it still idles a little rough and have to feather the gas real slow to get the revs up
    Went to check the timing a couple of days later and noticed the oil level was higher so the petcock was still leaking
    Went to the dealer $95 bucks for a new petcock and they don’t sell a rebuild kit but they did give me a o ring from the generic o ring box witch seems to be working (had the tank off the bike with gas in it for a day and nothing leaked out) put a inline valve in though just in case changed the oil (rotella 15 40 ) and filter & new crush washer witch fixed one of the oil leaks
    Decided to go for it I ordered new boots for the air box and an o ring kit for the carbs
    I want to keep the total cost under $800 already spent $400 so I need to watch how and where I spend my money
    Might be a ridiculously long post but I figure the more information I give the better
    Now to the questions
    The petcock Even though its working now is a generic o ring doomed to fail?
    Is it worth it to sync the carbs or try to get the bike running better before I dip the carbs
    The mufflers have an oil leak
    read that there is a bolt that runs through the exhaust port that can leak oil right into the exhaust couldn’t figure out what to get from the parts fish is it something I need to order or is it just an o ring that I could pick up from the hardware store

The dana s ignition heard you don’t use the igniter with it how does it get hooked up ?
    I downloaded the directions and it seemed like it was supposed to be hooked up to the igniter
    bike has new dyna 3 ohm coils
    thanks

should have taken a picture before cleaning it up

Comment

Nice project ! Its great to have a bike for riding and one for tinkering. Even even better to have a wife that encourages that :-)

clean the carbs first, make everything in order and then sync.

Comment

Welcome. Looks like you're under way. Good luck with your rebuild.

The Dyna hooks directly to the coils. It was originally designed for bikes with points, which never had ignitors. You need to remove the ignitor or at least un-hook it. Find a switched +12V for the Dyna red wire and the two coil orange (or just tap the orange coil wires for the Dyna). The Dyna white and black wires go to the (-) terminals of the respective coils. Electrically speaking that is it.

Originally posted by ronzxcvb View Post
        The dana s ignition heard you don’t use the igniter with it how does it get hooked up ?
        I downloaded the directions and it seemed like it was supposed to be hooked up to the igniter
        bike has new dyna 3 ohm coils
        thanks

Comment

Can’t get the air screws out of 2 of the carbs
          One of them the threads are messed up on the top so can screw it up and down just can’t get it out
          tried running the screw in and out to re cut the threads
          What would be best try to heat it with the screw all the way down then run the screw up?
          Cut off the top where the threads are bad ?
          or?
          Second carb I think I’m screwed head is all messed up and could barely get it to move
          Never out only could get it to go in about ½ turn don’t have any easy outs small enough
          but going to break off a couple of them before I give up and replace the carb

Comment

Well got them out used a dremmel
            Cut down and made the slots bigger
            Like was suggested on here it worked great
            dipping the 3rd carb now 1 more then i will be waiting on parts

Comment

Carbs all back together now
              New air box boots are in
              Got a new feeler gage that goes to .04
              Besides the valves and torqueing the head
              Anything else I should check?
              Before I put the valve cover back on
              Any o ring’s that should be replaced etc.

Comment

Fired it up last night it ran like crap
                Choke it and it would zoom up to 4-5k
                Symptom’s seemed like fuel problem
                But I don’t think so
                Might be the petcock getting stuck not letting out enough gas but I think the problem was with the ignition
                So I put the new ignition on and made a reserve tank both problems solved
                Thanks Mike I ran it straight to the coils
                Didn’t know how the wires were supposed to be run
                started it up and set the timing it sounds 100 times better still rough but the carbs are way out of sync
                Going to sync them and maybe take her around the block later
                That’s if she will even move under her own power

Comment

Ran good at idle but bogged down above 4k
                  Only 10 volts at the coils so cleaned all the connections again and did a coil relay mod
                  But still losing about ½ to 1 volt at the coils
                  Is that normal?
                  It also gets hard to move when the wheel is turned
                  I’m thinking it needs new wheel bearings?
                  Was able to drive her down the drive way
                  But will be a while before she’s ready for the road
                  clutch and trany seem to be fine well at least in first doing 5mph

Comment

Working...
                  X