1978 gs750 resto project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs750 resto project

Hi all, I,m in the intitial stages of restoring the GS. Could anyone please tell me which Gs's share the same parts. In particular everything on the handlebars, wiring loom, forks etc. Any info would be really appreciated.

As the bike is 33 years old and had 13 owners all of which seam to have a different interpretation of what it should and should'nt look like!!!

Its got lots of none GS bits on and i intend to bring to original or near as damn it as possible.

Thanks in anticipation Ian. COPSE1979. Yes! i was there !!

750 models '77 thru '79 have many common parts. There may be others.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Without wishing to sound like i'm after a fight but i would of thought a forum called "Gs resources" would have been forthcoming to help my rebuild?

Maybe someone could of asked "what info do you wish to know"?

Thanks to the guy who replied but i'm bitterly disappointed to have not received ANY help.

Conversations appear to be going all over the forum but nobody is welcoming a GS owner?

Am i right or am i wrong?

I'll continue my lonely walk elsewhere.

Comment

Don't take it so personally, did you stop by to introduce yourself in the new members section, if so, you would have recieved Basscliff's mega welcome, filled with more GS information and resources you could ever wish to use.
        Beside that, the members here have years of knowledge working on these bikes, you will not find any more good solid advice anywhere, and they dispense with it freely.
        Not everyone here knows everything about all models of GS, so there maybe a few members here who have the same bike as you, and even less that know them that well as to know what parts are shared across all the ranges.
        That aside, sometimes it may take days for guys to answer a thread, sometimes a thread is flooded with answeres in hours, it just depends, it is nothing personal, we all have other lives beyond the GS Resourses, and life does get in the way, and it may take a while before those that can help get to check in, that is just the way it is.
        Also, not all members visit all of the sections of the forum.

I hope that answers your question, now with that out of the way let me be the first to say welcome to the nuthouse and it would be good if you decide to stay, we are very fond of our GS' and everyone saved is a good story, now get your butt over to the new members section and tell us a bit about yourself and your ride, the rest of the mob will welcome you there.
        Oh yes.....we like pictures...lots of them...of the bike, not you.

Comment

Just twigged your forum name. You'll have to explain that one to the furriners. I was there that day too; it ranks amongst them.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by COPSE1979 View Post
            Without wishing to sound like i'm after a fight but i would of thought a forum called "Gs resources" would have been forthcoming to help my rebuild?

Maybe someone could of asked "what info do you wish to know"?

Thanks to the guy who replied but i'm bitterly disappointed to have not received ANY help.

Conversations appear to be going all over the forum but nobody is welcoming a GS owner?

Am i right or am i wrong?

I'll continue my lonely walk elsewhere.
            What was/is helpful for me is babbitsonline.com. You can look up the part# for YOUR bike and then use that part number to see which other models share that part.

Comment

Depending on the part, other models parts will work as well. i.e. a 78 gs550 part could be used. I know this doesn't give you exact years but I hope it helps nonetheless.

Comment

being also new to the gs resources ive realized that most of my questions have already been answerd, I spent days just looking around and feel there is alot of info out there just waiting to be read.

It helps alot when you add as much pictures to your questions as well. I think we all like to see the bikes and this gets more traffic into your posts.

Personally ive looked up bikes like mine and contacted the owners direclty to recieve more imidiate feedback.

Even though I am no expert from what ive read 77-79 bikes 750-1100 share most of the same parts.

I hope this helps.

Comment

To be honest i think cross-referencing part numbers from online suppliers like Partshark for example, may be you best bet.

The GS850 shares a few common parts - particularly the 1979 model. Top end - the head is identical as are the carbs. The GS1000 also shares carbs with the 750 & 850 up to '79 but that's only when they are the VM26 carbs (some GS1000's had VM28's) - jetting varies slightly.

Forks are 35mm whereas a lot of other models are 37mm - maybe the 550 is the same here?

Tanks and seats don't seem to be directly interchangable with the GS750's.

Clocks/instrument panel from the GS850 seems to be a direct swap though may have a fuel guage which your bike doesn't.

Brakes vary slightly between models of the same year so you need to check that.

I imagine all the switchgear on the handlebars should swap over pretty easily as bars are the same width and they share common functions - throttle may be the exception here as it needs to work specifically with the right carbs? In fact check this...

You can have any mirrors you please .

Shocks interchange with a few models - just be sure they're eye to cleavis and then check the length. But I'd recommend going with new aftermarket ones here anyway.

This is off the top of my head and not 100%. But there are some good online suppliers and ofcourse ebay so with a little patience you can track down what you need.
                  1979 GS750E

Comment

Searched,found this:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                    1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

COPSE1979, good to see you still around to share your build with us.
                      When it comes to cross referenceing what parts were used on what bikes, and what was common to other models, I cross refrence off the parts diagrams, quick and easy, let me qive you a quick 1 minute walk through

First go to one of the parts suppliers, I use Alphasports www.alpha-sports.com
                      Navigate your way through to the parts diagram you are looking for.
                      In this case I am loking for a left hand mirror for a '78 750

Locate the part number on the parts list on the left hand side of the diagram and copy it

Now, go to click on the search button at the top right of the page, there are two, you want the top one, not the lower one.

That will open a blank page in a new tab, paste the part number into the box and click submit........................and voila, all the motorcycles that ever used that mirror will appear below in a list..........easy, no?

Hey, were are the pics
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X