X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Number 22:

And yes behind the sprocket cover just like Cowboy said
    Pete, I show two part numbers and descriptions for #22 any idea how to distinguish?

Originally posted by TyFerris View Post
    so just got my clymers manual in the mail and it talks about tappets and shims for adjusting the valves? i talked to my father in law and hes clueless. he said that sounds nothing like any motor he has done can anyone explain or help at all?

I can show you the basic idea with pics tomorrow. tappet is referring to the part you are measuring. you need to order feeler guages, tappet feeler guages are angled to make measuring easier.
    The shim is the little spacer that makes the gap just right.

also how do i take the round valve side covers off my clymers manual says for the 400 and 425 un screw the screws... the 450 doesnt have screws lol
    you can remove the cylider head cover without removing those caps shiny round caps.
    There are screw inside of them once the top is off.I'll post a pic for you tomorrow
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2011, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Sorry that diagram on the fiche is a little misleading.

Part numbers 19 through 23 are dependant on the model you have and what they had in there from the factory at the time.

The early ones had a single piece clutch pushrod (19) whereas the later ones had the two piece (20/21). I'm not really sure at what point they changed this, but the two piece definitely makes it easier.

Also, the early ones did not have a seal retainer (23) (or had a different type) and had a flanged type oil seal that held itself in, whereas the later ones with the retainer didn't need the flange and are held in by the retainer.

If you look at the 1982 450E fiche on Alpha Sports you'll see the whole range of retainers there just to make it even more confusing.

But, essentially, if you have the retainer (23), you need the non-flanged version of 22, otherwise you need the flanged version.

I recommend looking at the Alpha Sports '82 fiche as it actually says which seal to use with which retainer...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

also how do i take the round valve side covers off my clymers manual says for the 400 and 425 un screw the screws... the 450 doesnt have screws lol
        See you can remove the whole thing with those caps attached.

Comment

thank you very much i was wondering one of two reason... one im replacing that gasket and two my right front cover is loose and i was going to tighten it... thank you very much for all your help so far guys

Comment

Working...
          X