Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    So, I made a bad trade?

Specifications of 40 000 motorcycles made 1894-2024. Pictures. Rider comments.

Daniel
    No Daniel, I think you did an OUTSTANDING Trade. There aren't that many of those out there. Like Charlie said, I'm envious as hell.
    And if you should decide to trade again, I have an 850 just right for you.

Comment

Got a new battery for it and charged it over-night.
      Cleaned some of the electrical connections.
      Poured about 12 onces of Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner into the carbs and let them soak over-night.
      Installed the battery and hit the start button...

Daniel

Comment

Running on gasoline and blowing out the remaining carb cleaner...

After clearing out, it makes it to 10,000 rpm fine.

Daniel

Comment

Changed out the mud from the front and rear brakes with DOT 5.1 fluid.

The hydraulic clutch was even worse!

Also changed the gear oil to 75W-140 synthetic.

Comment

Might be a good idea to tear down the brake system and change the lines based on that brake fluid.
            Last edited by Nessism; 09-07-2011, 11:35 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Where do you get these deals?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Where do you get these deals?
                Keep your eyes open for those vague ads.
                This one just said "Suzuki $1,500.00"

Daniel

Comment

Good find. That silver color is cool.

I bought one last spring for $900.00 and change. Cleaned the carbs, put in a new wire harness (po had messed up original) changed the fluids and now 6000 mi later am happy with it. Plenty of power, very smooth, runs to the ton in a hurry for a heavy weight. A bit of a pig in the twisties. It still runs circles around the VTwinn cruisers though.

A tip on the suspension. Put slightly longer spacers in the front forks and use the heavest fork oil you can find. It makes a huge difference. I am currently running HD heavy weight racing fork oil with an additional 3/4 inch of spacer. I have not bottomed out the forks since the change. I also have some sort of aftermarket rear shock (newer GSXR) stiffened it up a bit even for 2 up riding.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Keep your eyes open for those vague ads.
                    This one just said "Suzuki $1,500.00"
                    Gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to dive in. CL ad for this one said "Old Honda $395". Had it running, licensed, and with new tires, tubes and battery for less than $625. Had my fun with it, then sold it for $1000 to buy the GS.

So, the way I figure it, I paid $625 for the GS. That was, of course, before I did the carbs and boot o-rings, rebuilt the cam chain adjuster and tach drive, adjusted the valves, put on 3 new cables, battery, tires and tubes, Dynatek EI, plugs and wires, petcock o-ring, K&N air filter, oil filter and oil. I've stopped counting. Don't know alot about the different models of the GS's, but I think you did OK on your trade.

Comment

Nice find there!

Hey, I've been trying to PM you re parts but your mailbox is apparently full. Can you shoot me a message when you can, please? Cheers
                      GS850GT

Comment

FYI this bike also shares a lot of parts with the first gen Bandit bikes. Found that out when looking for electricaal parts for mine. Many part # are the same or cross reference as the same and listed as available for the first gen Bandit but not the GSX 1100G. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                          So, the way I figure it, I paid $625 for the GS.
                          I over-paid for the 850 last year.
                          So, basically, I paid $700.00 for this GSX1100G with a new paint job included.

Daniel

Comment

Got it all back together and took it for a shake-down ride today.
                            I only went 15 miles but it was enough to find the bugs.
                            It needs to be richened up as suggested earlier even in stock configuration. (Note the blue on the exhaust in front of the left muffler. Same side as the bad carb spring)
                            The PO had stretched one of the carb slide diaphragm springs so that carb is not working right.
                            Ordered it today from the local Suzuki store.
                            I will do a complete rebuild when it gets here sometime next week.
                            The brakes work as well as the '83 1100E brakes that are on my '80 GS100G.
                            The suspension is actually a little too stiff in the rear so I will reduce the spring pre-load on the replacement spring.
                            She has no problem going over 70 in first gear.
                            Here are a couple of pic's from today's little put...

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              Congrats. looks like a beautiful bike. I'm curious though. What is the riding position like, compared to your 850 ?
                              I had to turn the handlebar to get it as high as possible.
                              I will possibly change it for a slightly taller one.
                              The seat is too low and forces a groin injury like most dirt bikes.(pushes you forward)
                              I will get a couple of inches of foam added to the front 3/4 of it when it gets recovered making it flatter.

Daniel

Comment

The new carb slide springs showed up yesterday so it was time to fix these carbs.
                                Just a few items needed to be removed to gain access to them.
                                After removing the fuel tank and both side covers, you can almost see what's in store.
                                First started with some of the pollution control stuff:

Naturally, the fuel petcock assembly, air filter and the entire battery box had to be removed:

After disconnecting the airbox, I held it back out of the way with a bungee cord. Now, there is tons of room! :

Continued...

Comment

Working...
                                X