No announcement yet.

Some assembly required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After removing the return cable to the carbs and re-routing the cables a bit,
    I was able to slide them out enough to gain access to the pull cable:

Naturally, you have to remove the alternator to have a chance in heck
    of getting the airbox out to gain access to the intake manifolds:

You must leave this bolt in the alternator or take the cover off of the slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch.
    I choose to leave the cover on:

With the alternator safely held out of the way with another bungee cord,
    you can see all of the room needed to remove the box:

Gears look good:

After gently nudging (pushing like hell) the airbox forward and to the side,
    it almost cooperates in coming out:

Continued...

Comment

Now you can almost get within striking distance of the phillips head screws
      with a slam hammer:

Easy peasy, right?

With my handy Suzuki parts bins at the ready, I am prepared for the attack.
      Filled with parts from our friends at Z1 enterprises and Cycleorings.com of course!

This one screw was less than cooperative:

After trying to get a deeper phillips bit pounded in to restore the shape,
      I decided that was not going to be enough to place victory over the screw
      on my side. So, I took a sharp straight chisel and made a nice clean slot for a straight blade:

Victory!

Continued...

Comment

Without manifolds and dirty:

After scrubbing with steel wool and brake cleaner with an assist from compressed air:

Some of the parts that had to be removed to get this far:

Dirty manifolds with the parts from Robert Barr (Cycleorings.com) at the ready:

Now is a great time to saturate the intake manifolds inside and out with
        Armor all or equivalent, this time it was STP Son of a Gun:

Suzuki has slighly improved the manifolds from the GS style.
        Hopefully you can see the 4 little nipples (Yes, I said nipples!) that help retain the new O-rings in place:

Installed and eagerly awaiting the new fresh carbs:

Continued...

Comment

The carbs as removed. You can see several scratch marks from previous attempts to do something:

Found a couple of small problems that I hadn't prepared for.
          These hook up to engine vacuum via a long trip to the charcoal canister and back.
          So, these are vacuum leaks! :

I guess that I will see if I can make new vacuum lines make these tight turns as I really don't want to wait on the parts.
          If they are even still available:

That's all of the little bit of work that I got done in a few hours today.

Daniel

Comment

You are my idol
            Uhhh Daniel?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Want to come up here and rebuild these carbs?
              The Circus is in town:

I have pilot jets from 37.5-47.5 and mains from 95's-145's.
              And at least 100 3mm flat washers.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Want to come up here and rebuild these carbs?
                The Circus is in town:

I have pilot jets from 37.5-47.5 and mains from 95's-145's.
                And at least 100 3mm flat washers.

Daniel
                You don't need my help!
                C'mon guy!
                I just started a job on an Offshore Oil Rig as the Chef!
                One week on one off.
                Good money! Great Benefits!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great food too!
                  Where do I sign up!

Forgot to post these to anyone that cares to do the job right.
                  Don't JUST bolt up your intake manifolds!
                  Make sure that the air flows smoothly through the port from the carb.
                  On the 26 and 28mm carb manifolds, you can hone the inside to match the cylinder head ports.
                  Some of the '80-up manifolds can also be honed to match the ports on those heads.
                  If I had JUST bolted them up, the ports would mis-match like this:

Instead, look as you hold them to match and then tighten them down:

It is good for a few more pony's.

Daniel
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2011, 01:04 AM.

Comment

great write-up and pictorial! and great work too...
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                      great write-up and pictorial! and great work too...
                      Tearing it apart is the EASY part.
                      Getting it all back together will probably take 3X's longer no doubt.
                      After I get Jenny home and situated, I will tear into the carbs. Wish me luck!

Daniel

Comment

Made a little progress today after getting Jenny situated.
                        Initial peek into the float bowls:

Hard to tell but this enricher circuit was plugged solid.
                        A piece of fishing line and some brake cleaner opened it up:

All four carbs are supposed to have a cap on this port in this application (Another vacuum leak):

Under those caps, without the diaphragm/slide installed, you see where O-rings are supposed to be.

One was missing and the remaining three looked like this:

Harbor freight generic $3.00 O-ring set to the rescue! The smallest one, RO-1 was a perfect fit!

The 30 pilot jets that came out, hard, are way too small for this engine.
                        As I am going to remove some of the smog crap, and didn't have the 37.5's that I thought I had,
                        I chose to install 40's. The 120 mains are being replaced with 122.5's.
                        I put anti-sieze on the threads of both the pilots and mains.
                        This is what they look like with the new jetting:

I was tossing around the idea of changing the needles with some Dyno jet ones that I have on hand and decided to
                        up the needles .49mm with 3mm flat washers instead. (Mic them! I had from .46-.54mm thickness washers.)
                        The stock plastic spacer Mic'd out to 2.52mm so now the needles will be 3.01mm up.

Going for some rides with Tom MLC tomorrow so I may not get back to them.

Comment

i like how you detail the process for your carbs.
                          man those small o-rings were shot! how come they get ripped appart like that?

Comment

All of the carb parts have been gathered up so it was time to put them back together.
                            I opted for the 32.5 pilot jets with the bleed holes, one shim under the jet needle and 122.5 main jets.
                            (Basically, 1+ on each of the pilot, needle and mains)

With the help of some O-rings from Cycleorings.com that I keep in stock for the CV carbs,
                            I found that the "D" O-rings fit the enricher tube seal on these carbs and
                            that the fuel inlet O-rings worked on the needle/seat seal:

Installed:

Now is a perfect time to saturate the vacuum bellows with rubber protectant inside and out to keep them supple:

Installed with new slide springs and O-ring:

When I took this beast apart, I could have sworn that there was more room than this:

Have I mentioned how much I HATE stock air-boxes and LOVE pods?
                            What a complete PITA!!!

Anyway, she fired right up!

More later...

Daniel

Comment

After installing the new Iridium plugs and fixing the plug wires/boots,
                              she wants to jump off of the center-stand!
                              Camera is not cooperating or I would post pic's of the old screwed up plug wires/boots.

Daniel

Comment

The 32.5 pilot jets were too fat for the stock bike.
                                I traded them out for the 30's today and with the raised needle and 1 size larger main jets...
                                it rips!!!!!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X