Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 750 es : Let s bring it back to life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 es : Let s bring it back to life!

Pictures on page 3!!

Hello!

after presenting myself here , i come in here to start my thread!
    i have been reading probably all of your projects guys, it s my turn now! yeah!

Allright,
    i finally made it, and found a gs 750 es to restore!
    well, actually it s two of them that are going to come to my parents home next week-end!

sadly, living in an apartment in Montreal, i have no choice but squat their space, i love them !

I will have pictures here, do not worry about that, i am a photography freak, so prepare yourselves to see loads of them!
    (as soon as i got them! saturday! )

So to the main subject now , the GSs

300$ for both of them,
    the first one as an electrical problem, blows the main fuse when it runs, PO did swap the ECU, he has been told that that was the cause of the fuse blowing out, didn t work, did not want to pay the garage to find the source, nor to do it himself so he sold it. to me

the bike is complete - chain and gear linkage.
    not much rust at all.

the second one (wich is an E , thx svsooke to spot the difference) is a part bike, he had it for 10 years now, a guy crashed it on the side, hurt himself, destroyed the clutch lever and his leg , so he sold it. Every mechanical part is there, some electrical parts and the carbs have been combined with the main bike.

the engine is 8000km, and does seem in ''good'' shape, not seized.

for this second bike, no paper, that s sad cos the frame is in better shape, oh well!

I am sorry to have no pics yet, i PROMISE i ll have 20 of them for you guys next week end.

i have a question already though!

Is it better if i try to fix the bike, and got it barely running before taking it apart and cleaning/restoring/buying everything as good as possible.

OR

i just don t waste time and energy trying to find an electrical problem in this mess, and start the taking apart process to clean everything out, then well see what comes out.

my main idea would be to dismantle it, being an electrical problem, i ll be certain to find the short, if short there is, plus anyway the bike has not run for some time and i plan to use the engine of the other one.
    what you guys think!!?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2011, 10:49 PM.

If your going to do an engine swap anyway Id say dismantle and during check everything out as you go. And then when you put it all together double check everything as each piece goes back on or each connection is made. Just my 2 cents, But then I had to get my bike running first just to prove to me the engine was good and it would be alright to go ahead and modify.

Comment

yeah, i see what you mean there!

as i ll swap it, and i know the electrical is faulty, maybe i am indeed better off removing, cleaning everything and in the process, as you said, check/test every bits of everything, to be sure.

it s like i do not feel comfortable trying to find what s wrong with it, not knowing what has been done on it before, i guess it will be more efficient to start fresh!

even if that s what i feel, i still need as much input possible, like yours Erki ,to make sure i take the good decision

Comment

Looking forward to this!
        Edit:feel free to ask any questions you want.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Once the tank and sidecovers are removed, and the headlight pulled, you should be able to get at the wiring easily. Hopefully an ES member can chime in.

Edit:
          how are you at electrical?
          A. Let me show you you the spaceship I built using different lengths of wire
          B. Proficient
          C. I can use a multimeter
          D. I can use a testlight, and that's about it
          E. Magic smoke & a series of tubes
          Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
            Once the tank and sidecovers are removed, and the headlight pulled, you should be able to get at the wiring easily. Hopefully an ES member can chime in.
            Need to remove the fairing as well (ES remember).And here's a link to BassCliff's manual:http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...anual_1983.pdf ,used mine allot.

Comment

Its really nice that the wiring is so simple on these bikes. Atleast it was on mine. So a good wiring diagram and just inspecting every thing can do wonders. I finally got all my electrical working now after just cleaning some connections and switch contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post

Edit:
                how are you at electrical?
                A. Let me show you you the spaceship I built using different lengths of wire
                B. Proficient
                C. I can use a multimeter
                D. I can use a testlight, and that's about it
                E. Magic smoke & a series of tubes
                C! but i can troubleshoot electrical components when i have manuals/pinouts.
                and did reroot electrical systems for doors lockers and windows in my old totoyota 4runner. (cheaper than buying new control boxes!)

troubleshooting the whole system though... is an other thing!
                i ll need a good methodology!

@SVSooke
                Well, don t ask why, mine has no fairing, simple round headlight, me don t get why, me gonna get one!!

Thx for the link! i ll need that.

Any of you guys have a link/suggestion to get a good testing methodology for the whole thing?
                Do you think i should find the problem first, or i can take everything appart anyway. (for what i recall, the harness has been butchered a bit around the R/R and the ECU, macgyver style, how much would cost me a complete harness FMY?) not that i am afraid of fixing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                  Its really nice that the wiring is so simple on these bikes. Atleast it was on mine. So a good wiring diagram and just inspecting every thing can do wonders. I finally got all my electrical working now after just cleaning some connections and switch contacts.
                  Just going though mine did wonders.Sprayed every connector with contact cleaner and added a blob of dielectricgrease to them.Having the harrnes off made it way easier but it can be done with it on the bike.Before doing that the siganals where not working on 1 side.Now they do,everything else just feels better to.

Comment

Wiring diagrams and all the other info here....

Comment

Originally posted by Etcheberri View Post

@SVSooke
                      Well, don t ask why, mine has no fairing, simple round headlight, me don t get why, me gonna get one!!

Thx for the link! i ll need that.

Any of you guys have a link/suggestion to get a good testing methodology for the whole thing?
                      Do you think i should find the problem first, or i can take everything appart anyway. (for what i recall, the harness has been butchered a bit around the R/R and the ECU, macgyver style, how much would cost me a complete harness FMY?) not that i am afraid of fixing it!
                      Sounds like someone removed the fairing then.All 83's had some sort of fairng(I remember them new).Wiring the stator direct to the R/R is a good thing,did that to Old Yeller.Mucking with the ECU,not so good.Had a ES harness but it went to a guy in the Vancouver area.Check out Boulevard Suzuki,just did an order for the Skunk from them.Very good prices and reasonable shipping.May be available but I have not looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                        Wiring diagrams and all the other info here....

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                        Nice, a lot of good stuff there!
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          Sounds like someone removed the fairing then.All 83's had some sort of fairng(I remember them new).Wiring the stator direct to the R/R is a good thing,did that to Old Yeller.Mucking with the ECU,not so good.Had a ES harness but it went to a guy in the Vancouver area.Check out Boulevard Suzuki,just did an order for the Skunk from them.Very good prices and reasonable shipping.May be available but I have not looked.

yes, i guess they did , that s what i thought, none of the two bikes has one, i ll find one,

for the harness, they don t have it available on Bvd Suzuki, but anyway, it s too early to say if the ones i have are toasted :P
                          we will see saturday... can t wait!

by the way :

Haynes manual? can t seem to find one for the 750?
                          any company has done some?
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Look for a Clymer manual, I believe chiltons made one also
                            Factory manuals are on Basscliffs page, but. Sometimes having a paper manual is so much easier

Comment

If I want paper I just print it off.Somethimes it's handy but don't think I'm buying another paper manual if I can help it.

Comment

Working...
                              X