Myfirst GS project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myfirst GS project

I have recently purchased a 1981 GS850GL which I will have pictures of soon I hope. I purchased a new exhaust MAC 4-2 with turnout pipes, pod filters, o-ring kit from Mr. barr, and intake boots. The bike ran when I bought it but idled pretty rough and wouldn't keep running to actually ride it. The intake boots had some sealant on them so I knew they had to be old. I took the seat off and saw that on the bottom of the seat it was rusting thru real bad. The PO had new leather put on but looks like he went the cheap way cause the metal on the bottom has rotted thru. Oh well for now. I took the tank off which was recently painted and the gas had all gone bad. I drained the tank and started to woek on the carbs. Removed the airbox and trashed it as I'm going with pods. The carbs are pretty filthy but I got working on taking them apart. I was removing the screws that hold the choke rail in place and I was impatient and stripped one of them. I have carbs 1 and 4 off and still need to remove the cap on the pilot air screw so I can remove those. I removed the main jet and the jet underneath that one is stuck on one of them. It came out fairly easy on the other so I'm not sure why it won't come out. I'm getting pretty frustrated with stripped screws and am looking forward to replacing them with all new ones. Any advice on removing these stripped screws would be awesome. I have a dremel kit but no cutting disc. When I acquire a disc I will cut a slot in the screw but what will make it any different than before? More penetrant fluid? Getting frustrated but want to get them soaking soon. Help!!!

Patience my friend. Those philips screws are a nightmare for stripping out. They are not standard screws, the have a special driver for them called a JIS screwdriver. Its a Japanese thing. The are easy to strip with our SAE drivers. I and others here have good luck getting them out with one of these, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

And when you get the slot cut into the stripped one use a flat driver that fits the slot well to avoid damaging it further. Many on here myself included have replaced all the philips screws with stainless allenhead bolts. Just have to put some anti seize on them.

And a bit of advice, since you have the stock airbox I would get a new filter for that and try to get it running well in a stock configuration before adding pods. There are people out there wishing they could get ahold of an airbox, so if you are set on going with pods you will most likely have to play with the jetting to get it running correctly. But don't trash the airbox, post it in the parts for sale forum, like I said there may be someone looking for one.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2011, 10:55 PM. Reason: addition.

Comment

hi dude,

juste have been there, stripping the exact same screws!
      i used this kind of tool to get them out, worked like a charm, but beware to use a strong driller, cos it s pretty heavy on the motor.
      http://thegrabitstore.com/default.aspx

these kind of tools exist for ratchets too.

do NOT do like me, give time to a good penetrating oil to work! (WD40 is not a penetrating oil but a degreaser!)

EDIT : if by any luck you live in Canada, canadian tire sell these kind of tool under there own Mastercraft brand.

Comment

Heat do not underestimate the power of a propane bottle torch while working on these carbs ( of course you need to use good judgement on where to apply and how much ) realy helps with stuck screws , jets etc . The second thing you realy should have is an impact driver to remove and reinstall carbs on there rails . my experience has been if you dont reset the rack screws with an impact they come loose rather quickly . Thirdly replace everything you can with stainless allen head bolts use anti seize compound on the stainless . (1 ph screw each for the inlet valve seat hold downs) . The torch and the impact will save you frustration and you will thank yourself for the new hardware when your jetting it in for the pods . Good luck on your project 70GT

Comment

knipex pliers will remove anything from anything. for this size work the small ones will fit the bill quite well.

Comment

Fill the screw head up with valve grinding compound then hit it with a #2 or #3 apex depending on size in a speed handle, works 98% of the time, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by DFBrews View Post
              knipex pliers will remove anything from anything.
              Dont know If I'd go that far, but they really are great tools.

Comment

Thanks guys

I have made quite a bit of progress sincemy last post at least on the carbs. I did get the choke rail screw removed had to use vice grips. If I replace those little screws should I try to get the same thing or is it possible to replace with something similar with a better head on it? I have each carb apart and removed the pilot air cap on each one. I had a little trouble with one of them and now the pilot air screw is stuck. I think I damaged the threads when drilling and prying the cap out. What can I do if anything to get the screw out? All the others came out fairly easy but this one just won't budge. I let it sit with penetrating oil over night. I have yet to try heat so I will give it a try. If no success, what are my options? Also, upon inspection of the diaphragms, I notice that there is some silicone sealant on them. Soap and hot water to get this off? I just dont want to damage them as they seem to be in okay shape. Although one of them has very small cracks in the rubber. Is this a reason to replace them or are full out tears what I should be concerned with? Thanks for the help and I have till next spring to get her running so no hurry. Got my exhaust today. MAC 4-2 with the turnout mufflers. niche supply claimed it fits GS850 up to 1980. Mine is an '81. Anyone know if I will have any trouble? Was pretty sure the motor didn't change from '80 to '81.

Comment

Soaking the carbs in the dip will help loosen any crud holding things up.
                  As far as getting the jet needle out (under the main jet) I used a bit of 1/4 wood dowel, and a few light taps from the top. Like theair screws, the dip will help dissolve the junk holding it up.

Comment

Making progress

So I messed up one of my carb bodies and have found someone with a #2 body that I need so that is good news. I made progress on the intake boots. Got the new ones in the mail and got the old ones off the bike. I used a cut-off tool and cut the head off the screw and then used penetrating oil and some vice grips and the stud came right out. Now its time to get the old exhaust off to make room for the new one.

Comment

Working...
                    X