No announcement yet.

So frustrated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no, the killswitch was on, and i check the idle screw, and each float bowl individually to make sure gas was flowing...

however i did just realize that i relined the gas tank a while ago and although i let it cure for several days before i put it on, and it only required 24 hrs. i did see some reddish tint to my gas before i took everything apart and starting rebuilding the starter clutch... i think that more than likely it got into the upper parts of the carbs and blocked flow to the upper parts...

if this is the case, and there is gas tank liner in my carbs, i am going to murder someone...

i just hope it will come out...

any tips if this is the case????

Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      The only other way I know of is to pull a plug and see if it's wet, but I'm not sure that's reliable.
      If he's getting spark and has decent compression... there is no way the plugs would be wet... because the bike would've started, or at least been firing, missing, popping.

I know it's a pain and they were cleaned and gone through a few months ago, but it doesn't take much to clog jets. Pull the carbs and do a simple clean job and blow out jets with compressed air or spray carb cleaner... reassemble and you should be getting somewhere then.

Comment

good deal, thats what i will do then...

once thing i AM worried about though is that it IS gas tank liner...

im worried this stuff is going to be rock solid in my carbs and impossible to completely clean out... i suppose there is only one way to find out... i'll be doing it tonight and i'll let you guys know.... thanks for helping me out... it would have taken me much longer to narrow it down on my own...

Thanks!
        Sincerely,
        ~Nate

Comment

" is there any way to test if gas is getting into the cylinder? the intake boots are bone dry, should they be moist with gas? "

Sure, crank it some more with "choke" on- if it ain't firing, plugs will be wet.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i do have one last question, i understand that some tank liners dont stand up to gas with ethanol in it. it kinda dissolves the liner, which is what im assuming happened to me since i let it cure 3x longer than recommended...

but how the heck can i make sure the gas im buying has no ethanol in it?... i know more and more companies are adding ethanol to their gas for cleansing purposes, does anyone know where i can safely find gas???

Comment

You are in OHIo, right? As far as I know, it's an ethanol state just like the rest of the midwest. You should be able to look at the pump and it'll tell you the ethanol concentration there, normally about 10%. There might be one pump with non-oxygenated fuel usually 91 octane with no ethanol added, for small engines and collector vehicles.

Comment

Non ethanol near you..

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

NOOOOO!!!... oh well... i just drained the tank and guess what color my gas was? BRIGHT RED! ... and not a diluted faded red... i mean it was RED red...

so i guess thats what was wrong...

in the future i will simply buy a new tank instead of lining it... but what the heck kind of tank lining product cant handle normal gas? utterly worthless if you ask me...

i just popped the gas tank off, took out the petcock, rinsed the valve thoroughly with some carb cleaner... now i have the tank propped up in the air on a set of jack stands with my girlfriends hair drier in it... drying the residual gas out...

she would kill me if she knew what i was using it for...

im going to let it re-cure for a week just to ensure i dont have to go through this again...

i will be tearing down the carbs and cleaning them out tomorrow, i just hope that none of the liner has dried in places like a hard plastic... (what its supposed to do)

that will make it impossible to clean out... i swear if this cheap crap tank liner loses me $200 in rebuild and jetting parts, and many hours of labor... i will lose my mind...

shoot, its already created enough headaches, problems,and labor as it is... all because it cant handle normal everyday gasoline... lesson learned...

i would just buy a new gas tank, but i just spent alot of time and money putting a new paint job on this one, and at this point i just wanna ride the damn thing... i'll buy a new tank and re-paint it over winter....

Lastly, does anyone know of an additive that will neutralize the ethanol? i was looking around a little bit and found a few things online but the only thing local i really saw was sta-bil, and my understanding was that it was mostly for extended storage of gas not ethanol neutralization, unless they are one in the same...

i will do some more research over the weekend but i always wanna ask the veterans on the Resource... you guys are my first line of defense when it comes to me making an ass of myself....

thanks for the 1000th time.
                  Sincerely,
                  ~Nate
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

best use for a hair drier I've found yet...

Comment

ummm,
                      do you have home owners insurance?
                      that looks like a bomb waiting to blow

Comment

hah, yea i thought about that,

there was only a very small amount of residual in there and i watched it very closely for the 45 min it was in there, i also had a fire extinguisher right next to it in the garage. so i took precautions.

i like to live my life dangerously... why else would i buy an 1100!?
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM.

Comment

How about some pictures of the whole bike?

Comment

i will post pics of the completed bike tomorrow when i get everything back together... i would have some up right now if it werent for the whole gas tank liner gumming up my carbs issue...

Comment

Which brand of tank liner did you use? Perhaps a heads up might keep others from similar problems.

Daniel

Comment

i used Red-Kote, and used it only a couple months ago and followed procedure exactly, i even let it cure for 3x the recommended time. looking inside my tank, its all falling apart, and whenever i add gas it becomes red with dissolved gas tank liner.

my reccommendation... DONT line your tanks... find a good used one and simply replace it...

almost every gas station now adays uses ethanol enriched gasoline... there isnt a single station in all of cincinnati that doesnt have it... so the product in my opinion is completely worthless for any application... unless you dont care about spending tons of money and hassle treating your gas everytime you fill up.

Comment

Working...
                                X