GS450 Cafe / Fighter Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Cafe / Fighter Style

Hi all, I bought this bike a few months ago and have been wanting to change some things for a while. Today my friend and I started to chop and change the seat, which then led to the start of the electrical mess relocation. As you can see from the photos, I'm aiming to leave the side panels off and have the wiring hidden (soon), keeping the triangle frame area open and bare.

The al.foil was deflecting the sparks, removing the tabs and battery holder bracket was tedious. The original tail frame was re-used and welded to the frame to support the new seat and battery relocation.

Here are two wires that disconnected along the way, I have a feeling that further elec. issues may cause problems, maybe a better job for an auto electrician.

Here is an idea of the seat location, but I haven't worked out how to make the seat - fibreglass over this whole unit or keep the tail and seat pan and mock up something.

Battery removed. Tabs and battery bracket are now gone, space now for a giant lava lamp or aquarium.

Go with the lava lamp.
    Cooler and it won't slosh as much as an aquarium will.

Hmm, you have the cans I think I want.

Comment

Cool Collo, nice to see you putting a thread on here at last

Those wires you're confused about... yellow/green should be the starter solenoid trigger wire, and that red comes straight off the battery and should be where the main fuse plugs in.

Do yourself a favour and replace the dodgy glass main fuse with an inline blade type.

Looks like you're doing a similar thing to me which is trying to keep the stock seat latch in use which I think is a great idea. My suggestion with what you've done there is try to score an old seat pan from a wrecker and cut/weld it to fit.

Love those pipes too...

Leigh... told you you want Dunstall's
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'd get some green planters foam and sand em down to your design then cover with fiberglass. There is a little more involved than that but you get the idea.

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments. Leigh, these cans sound great on this bike and even better with the removable baffles in, plus the compacted steel wool - it's not as loud but a quality sound and more bass.

Pete, thanks for the wiring help, they must have disconnected when I was moving it about. There are a few more loose wires in there I might get your help again when I start putting the wires in a neater nest. I like the look of the original tail piece it seemed to good to throw out. The seat in photo 3 is the original seat pan which I cut down. It came with a Nitroheads seat which I might sell now and get that original style back.

Morrison, the green foam idea is good in making it the shape I want, I haven't ruled anything out yet. I really want the cheap and easy option but your idea would be good too.

It might be a while until I can progress further but will try and keep the photos going. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Collo,

Looking forward to see how the bike come out...suscribed!

Comment

looking forward to see how the stock tail section with the shortened seat turns out.

Comment

Collo, if that seat pan is fibreglass, then it ain't the stock seat pan... stock is metal. Good chance it was rusty and someone used it as a mould to make that fibreglass one. Mine was a bit rusty but I managed to save it.

I just went to a local place here in Brissie today and picked up some foam I ordered for the seat, one layer of higher density, one layer of lower density. The hope is that the higher density will stop me ending up sitting on the seat pan like the old foam but the lower density on top will give me a bit of an extra plushness to the seat...

Happy to give you a hand with electrical connections if I can...

sigpic

Comment

I'm quite sure this is the original seat pan as it is steel under that fibreglass, I remember trying to cut it with a jigsaw armed with a blunt wood cutting blade. It is getting a little rusty but should be repairable, hence why I am trying to keep it and maybe make a back part from fibreglass to meet the cowl piece. Ultimately, I'd also like to use the locking mechanism or quick pins.

I think tidying up the electrics is next, then the seat. Oh, and then I aim to disassemble the bike and rebuild, but I'll wait for my new job and location first.
                  I really want to sand blast then powder coat the frame, does anyone know a rough estimate how much that will cost?

BTW: that foam looks comfortable, Pete.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2011, 07:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add how good the foam looks

Comment

Originally posted by Collo View Post
                    I'm quite sure this is the original seat pan as it is steel under that fibreglass, I remember trying to cut it with a jigsaw armed with a blunt wood cutting blade. It is getting a little rusty but should be repairable, hence why I am trying to keep it and maybe make a back part from fibreglass to meet the cowl piece. Ultimately, I'd also like to use the locking mechanism or quick pins.

I think tidying up the electrics is next, then the seat. Oh, and then I aim to disassemble the bike and rebuild, but I'll wait for my new job and location first.
                    I really want to sand blast then powder coat the frame, does anyone know a rough estimate how much that will cost?

BTW: that foam looks comfortable, Pete.
                    Aaah ok, it just looked like fibreglass with no steel to me... so if there's steel there then yes it will be stock.

I'm finding it really handy being able to stick with the stock seat latch too, and all I did was make the fibreglass tail piece to replace the stock one but still retain the framework like you've done.

Not sure on sandblasting/powder coat costs I'm afraid, I sanded mine by hand then brushed POR 15 Blackcote on...

And yeah, that foam does look comfortable! I'm a bit old for thin seat padding these days, definitely looking for some comfort!

sigpic

Comment

UPDATE:

Firstly, let me explain something; I hate messy wires.

I can't quite call it progress, as that would be indicative of success; however, I was able to tidy up some of the cables without too many problems. I'll post some photos of todays efforts soon, but I have a question...

On the right side cover there is an electrical cable that runs into the removable circular cover. See photo.

Can this cable be removed or is it a sender for oil pressure or something else important? I couldn't believe the complication of wires; it's like the PO had deliberately made it complicated - one cable wrapped around five others then joined back onto itself!

Comment

So here is the progress from today:

An example of the mess...

A stainless tray should hold it all tidy. Note: I have put the R/R under this to give it more airflow in fear that it might cook like a tv dinner.

Don't mind the pink exercise ball, it makes a great rolling chair.

I also don't like the oil breather hose and that other one, can I get rid of them too? haha

Comment

It's just so, so clean..

It's looking really good now.

Comment

Looking good indeed!

So, first question about those wires under the circular cover... don't touch 'em! Those four wires come from your signal generator (what triggers your ignitor to fire them sparks) and the oil pressure switch (what warns you when your oil pump ain't working), so leave them well alone.

Next question about all those wires going to the electrical plate there... looks to me like the PO has followed the GS Resources best practises and has attempted to locate every ground possible onto the one single grounding point, so this is a good thing! Replicate this on your custom electrics tray if you can. I did this myself...

And just a quick comment about your custom tray... having the R/R underneath for air flow is a good idea, but it looks like you're using the tank mounting bolt to support the front of the tray. I'd suggest you anchor it some other way at the front instead of or in addition to that bolt so that if you have to remove the tank it won't affect your electrics.

As to the breather hose, you need to do *something* with it legally. I believe you can get K&N filters for them, or alternatively you can have them venting into some sort of container. Essentially you need to prevent any potential fluids from exiting in an uncontrolled manner... and you also don't want them going onto your back tyre... I haven't decided what to do with mine yet but I'm thinking of adding some sort of fluid container where the breather hose and carb overflow hoses can be diverted into. Should neaten things up as well as being practical.

sigpic

Comment

dude that bike looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X