No announcement yet.

GS450 Cafe / Fighter Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, 7" EMGO headlights are nice and they're only like $40-$50. It's the same one I used on my GS450.

Collo, you remind me of someone.... scottychop. Look up his build thread if you haven't already. Your bikes look pretty similar.

Anyways, this is amazing stuff. Wow.

Yellow, black, and white? Those are Yamaha colors!

I have to say, I am really digging the blue that's on it right now. I would use that same blue and add some thick white stripes with thin black stripes to border the white. But hey, it's your bike. I personally think that yellow will be sweet.

Comment

Looks awesome, made more progress than i have on my old bike! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
        Pete, 7" EMGO headlights are nice and they're only like $40-$50. It's the same one I used on my GS450.

Collo, you remind me of someone.... scottychop. Look up his build thread if you haven't already. Your bikes look pretty similar.

Anyways, this is amazing stuff. Wow.

Yellow, black, and white? Those are Yamaha colors!

I have to say, I am really digging the blue that's on it right now. I would use that same blue and add some thick white stripes with thin black stripes to border the white. But hey, it's your bike. I personally think that yellow will be sweet.
        Hey FC, good to hear from ya

Emgo's a bust for headlights over here as the distributor doesn't import them from what I can tell and I suspect they don't pass our ADR's... I found the Emgo distributor and their parts list, and not one headlight is on there...

I have ordered one sight unseen from my local Yamaha dealer though (closer than the Suzuki dealer).

Collo, FC's pretty spot on about Scottychop's build. His was more streetfighter than cafe, but aside from the swingarm you both are on similar themes...

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, the voltmeter was my idea of hiding the ugly handlebar grooves and holes. Pete, not too sure on the brand or exact size of the headlight, but i'll try and find out for you - it's definitely after-market and probably not ADR compliant.

I can see the resemblance with scottychops build I like his bike. I won't be changing the swing arm or exhaust but I really like the forks and discs he has.

I'll be back to sanding the seat soon but i'm still getting over the itch on my arms and ankles from last time.

Comment

I haven't seen this build yet, but I like it so far! There is some good stuff going on here.......

Comment

Originally posted by Collo View Post
              Thanks for all the comments, the voltmeter was my idea of hiding the ugly handlebar grooves and holes. Pete, not too sure on the brand or exact size of the headlight, but i'll try and find out for you - it's definitely after-market and probably not ADR compliant.

I can see the resemblance with scottychops build I like his bike. I won't be changing the swing arm or exhaust but I really like the forks and discs he has.

I'll be back to sanding the seat soon but i'm still getting over the itch on my arms and ankles from last time.
              Dude... long pants, long sleeves, and gloves... that's why I have overalls, a box of disposable gloves, and a pair of dodgy old boots in the garage, just for stuff like that

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Dude... long pants, long sleeves, and gloves... that's why I have overalls, a box of disposable gloves, and a pair of dodgy old boots in the garage, just for stuff like that
                I hear ya. This Gold Coast boy isn't used to the heat anymore though, even 27 is killing me...still, being uncomfortable isn't worth the itch I guess.

Is there a special type of primer to use on freshly sanded fibreglass and body filler?

Comment

Originally posted by Collo View Post
                  I hear ya. This Gold Coast boy isn't used to the heat anymore though, even 27 is killing me...still, being uncomfortable isn't worth the itch I guess.

Is there a special type of primer to use on freshly sanded fibreglass and body filler?
                  You got that straight! I had no intention of being itchy for days so I made sure I geared up... very glad I did

Not that I'm aware of, I just used the same 2K primer on the tail piece that I used on the tank.

sigpic

Comment

Collo your dash is amazing. It's exactly what I want to do with my own 450 project. Can you send me the info on the gauges you used and the indicator lights as well? Really impressed with what you've done so far. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by GregNC View Post
                      Collo your dash is amazing. It's exactly what I want to do with my own 450 project. Can you send me the info on the gauges you used and the indicator lights as well? Really impressed with what you've done so far. Keep it up!
                      Thanks Greg, it's coming along although the bars are a bit low for me so will adjust soon.

The gauges and indicators were done by the previous owner, but I suspect they are from the Modern Motorcycle Company in Melbourne. And to answer Pete's question earlier, I believe the headlight is from there too, all on their store website.

The voltmeter was from Jaycar, and just made up a bracket for it from some stainless I had laying around. Hope that helps.

Comment

i second that your dash is amazing, i need to find those gauges

Comment

The dash does looks good, and thanks. However, the small dials can be hard to read being so small. Furthermore, the tacho and speedo have some crazy movement when running so the accuracy becomes unreliable and even harder to interpret. I have just purchased some new gauges that are a little bigger and a little retro too I think.

Are gauges usually interchangeable or is there different ratios?

Comment

The speedo ratio is the same. I forget the tach ratio though......

Comment

Now those gauges are cool. What are they off?

And Collo, how have you mounted that filter on your breather hose? The Calibre SCA one? Very keen to find out...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                                The speedo ratio is the same. I forget the tach ratio though......
                                Thanks Big Rich, I guess I will need to try it and see.

Originally posted by pete View Post
                                Now those gauges are cool. What are they off?

The guy I bought them from said they were off an Enfield Bullet 500. There is one major problem... The Speedo is mechanical but the tacho is electric. So as far as I know it will not work with my bike, I didn't realise it when I bought them and was thinking (more like assuming) they would both be mechanical - given the model they came from. Only 350km on the speedo so not really used.

And Collo, how have you mounted that filter on your breather hose? The Calibre SCA one? Very keen to find out...
                                Haven't mounted it as of yet, Pete. I'm looking to keep it level and somewhat out of the view from the side. Will post a pic when I go down that track.

Comment

Working...
                                X