1978 GS1000E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000E Project

Hey all so Im new here, I was sent a link from another forum that I belong too. Anyways I bought this GS for $300 from a car guy who was trying to `fix`it. Basically the only thing that is wrong with it apart from the handle bars, and highway pegs that were on it, is that the starter is siezed, and the electrics are ****ed it looks like someone has gotten happy with wire cutters. So here`s a look at the begining of what me and a buddy started.

It is a fine starting point.
    Some of us have started with much less.
    Welcome to GSR and soon Basscliff will come along with his personal welcome that includes many years of GS wisdom to help you.

Daniel

Comment

Hello mate and welcome to the good ship GSR. That exhaust looks like it could do with a good polish and you're on your way.

Anyway, enjoy your project - if you need help there's guys on here who can fix a GS with their eyes shut.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Nice find! Is the tank ok? Just got my first GS on the road. '79 GS1000 E. Feel free to pm me with any questions about my build. And good luck.

Comment

Heh, many are working on 78 E's. Fine looking bike when restored.
          Be careful with that tank. They bring more than you paid for the bike in decent condition.
          Lots of info here in these bikes as they have recently become pretty desirable.

Here's mine..

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Ape hangers and white grips? Boy am i glad i did not see a "before" picture of a Skunk being treated this badly.
            Welcome to this great site, Marshall.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Cool another 78 1000 coming back.Can't wait to see more.
              Steve that's the throttle tube without a grip.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes folks. I am aware of how much those tanks go for, the only problem is the hole that is in it. right at a weld so Im thinking I can just reweld the part that split. And yeah A complete before picture was not allowed.

I have had GS`s before though so im no newbie. I had a 1980 GS1000 Wes Cooley replica that I got from my dad when I turned 16, and I had a burgundy 1979 GS that I picked up at a garage sale for $50 and the bike only had 2500kms on it!

I currently own a 650 Bandit and I sadly just had to unload my 1982 RD350LC

Comment

Working...
                X