1980 suzuki GS250T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 suzuki GS250T

Looking for some help on timing, For 1980 suzuki GS250T. If anyone knows how to do the timing on it or give some info on a service manual. That would be great.

Thanks

Firstly take the timing gear off the right side of the motor so you can see exactly what you are doing to do this.

Rotate the crank so the marking (i think it is a T if i have it right) on the rotor is at the timing mark (at about the 10:00 to 10:30 position on the crankcase when viewing the right side of the motor). You should have one of the cylinders (the left i think) at top dead centre (when correctly timed the non tdc cylinder should be on the exhaust stroke, so figure it out from that if it should be left or right at TDC).

Then put in the exhaust cam so that with no slack in the chain the - next to the 1 is level with the top of the head.

Then count 20 chainlinks from the - next to the 2 on the exhaust cam and line that up with the - next to the 3 on the intake cam.

Make sure nothing slips and tighten things down and you are done. The other suggestion i have got is to replace the cheesehead bolts used in the cam retaining caps with stainless steel allen key head ones, it makes future maintenence a damn sight easier.

P.s. remember that it is about 2:30am while i write this, so i may be wrong about the TDC thing, but the gist is pretty much there and i know the 1 2 3 thing for certain as i've done it a dozen times on my 250 while working the bugs out.

Comment

Working...
    X