Jazzing up the "office"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazzing up the "office"

I've posted before about the problems I had with the stock instrument cluster on my '78 GS550. It was cracked, then the speedo died, then I replaced the valve cover gasket with a Realgaskets item which rendered the tach drive ineffective.

My solution was to replace the whole shooting match with Trail Tech's Vapor computer, which I luckily got on eBay for $20, plus the cost of the speed sensor and other wiring (another $35). My problem then was where to mount the indicator lights and gear position indicator. I finally gave up on the gear position indicator and went with Trail Tech's street "dashboard," which is a nicely-made $55 piece that houses four indicator lights. By the way, Clymer's wiring diagram for the gear sensor is confusing. The neutral light is powered by the dark blue wire.

This setup works great! First, the whole thing weighs only a few ounces and draws almost no power (LED lighting throughout), so I've probably shaved close to 10 pounds just by making this change. Second, the speedo is now accurate, and the tach, though somewhat jumpy, is useable. Finally, the Vapor has a lot of useful functions, like a trip meter, ride timer, stopwatch, telltales and clock.

Here's how it went:

The view from the office, with the new item.

The panel didn't look so good from the back, so I looked around for a way to cover it.

A piece from a power tool battery blister pack seemed like it would fit the back of the dash. I know from my experience building radio controlled model cars that this type of lexan can be painted.

Here's how it looks, painted and installed. It just squeezes up under the edge of the dash and is held in place by the rubber indicator light housings. I'll be keeping my eyes open for better-fitting lexan pieces for this spot.

Here's the whole bike. That headlight is an eBay "CB250" halogen unit with a plastic bucket and room to mount an ignition switch.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM.

Very nice.

Shows how thinking outside the box comes in handy at times.

You have links to your sources or some larger pictures?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice job. When I installed the Acewell 2853 tach/speedo in my GS, I had a jumpy tach as well. I ended up putting a resistor in the tach signal wire and it fixed the problem. If you are interested I can find out exactly what size resistor it was. I may even have a few laying around and could send one your way. I'm in the middle of re-organizing my shop for the winter project season and will need to dig through some stuff though.

Comment

I was also thinking of going that route I like how the install ended indeed. Would also be interested in some resources of your goodies and insight if that isn't asking to much. Looking good keep it up.!

Comment

Yes. Bigger pictures, please.

Comment

Larger pictures

You'll have to look at the pics in my album. I don't know how to get larger pics into a post.

Comment

Link to album?

Comment

Try http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p?albumid=1183, or click on my username, and you'll see the albums.

Comment

Here ya go.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, Steve!. Any advice from anyone on the asthetics of this thing? I would have liked to mount the gauge below the top clamp, but that would have meant that the clutch cable ran right over it. It wold work with clip-ons, but with the drag bars, I'm stuck with that clutch cable right there.

Comment

I think it looks awesome. A boat load slimmer than the stock unit. If you ever get clips ons, maybe move it down. But until then leave it, it looks sweet.

Comment

Working...
                      X