No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PB blaster and some heating of the material around the screw works wonders. Giving the screw a good whack before turning also works well to break it loose. Great job so far Gatekeeper. Following along with great interest.

Merry Christmas!

Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Try to not heat the bolt, but heating the portion of the case around it instead.
      The aluminum of the case expands faster than the steel bolt. That will open up a minute clearance for the pentrating oil to work in and also hopefully loosen the bolt. If it doesn't come out right away, give it a rest to cool off and try again.. spray, heat, spray, turn. It may take a few heating cycles for it to work in, but eventually it WILL yield.

Comment

Well I give up, it didn't work, it didn't come out, it was stuck in there good and tight, no matter how much I heated it, sprayed it, even swore at it......I tried cutting a slot in it, this did not yield any results, I tried to use a screw extractor, this did not work either, all it did was drill out the screw, leave a bit of it in the hole, and now I have the same mess as I do on the exhaust.....

I am really giving up on this, if I get another broken bolt, I am really going to lose it....

So for now, I am gong to work on other things, that don't involve removing bolts, cause all the other ones have been removed, I think, and no others have broken, thus far.

Have to find a shop to weld up the frame, going to make the tool to remove the dents from the exhaust pipes, gonna do some more sanding of the plastics, and start on the tank, wire wheel all the little bits and pieces, and generally get things ready for paint, or ready to go back on the bike, If I get the frame fixed before Christmas, I will paint it and let it cure. As well I will paint the calipers, rims, and all the little nick nacks as well.

This broken bolt business is for the birds, and those who probably know more than I do on how to remove them. I will seek professional help, on getting the 2 messed up ones fixed, I am not even going to try to do it on my own at this point.

Going to continue with things I can do, and hopefully not make any more boo boo's....

After I have done enough of the stuff I mentioned I will take a few pics, of the things clean....and fixed....

I will try to get some of it done by the weekend

Cheers

Comment

I feel your frustration sometimes this is just the way of things, I am thankful I don't live were corrosion is a problem.
          The best thing to do now is to leave it be for a while, gather your thoughts and come back to it later, doing things in frustration are bound to lead to even bigger cock ups, you made a good call, come back to it when the head is clear.
          When reassembling, just be sure to use anti seize compound like coppaslip on everything if corrosion is a problem where you stay, it will avoid similar drama a few years down the road.

Comment

That sucks, I too know your frustration first hand. Just remeber, the only way to get good at removing broken bolts is by breaking way too many in the first place.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

^exactly!

I let my project sit for an entire 3-4 months last spring/summer, then I realized...screw it, let's get this done, and I went out to the garage and got a TON done.

Comment

I feel your pain. I'm currently staring down 5 broken bolts on my project bike. No amount of dremel carving, PB Blaster, heat, vise grips is breaking any of them loose at this point (I've done over 20 heating/spraying cycles by now) and I've had plenty of experience with broken fasteners. Hell, even the threads on the ones I removed are looking bad.

At least you got the side covers off. That's a victory.

Hang in there. We'll get through it.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement......it really does help

If they only were not on a part that is so heavy to move around, I would easily take it to a shop to get it done up, but the weight alone is enough to make one almost give up....

Ohh it' so close to being a parts bike....LOL

But I will occupy my time and thoughts on other parts, and get back to those 2 items at a latter date, too much time and money is now invested to give up, that is for sure.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

to all you guys and gals....

Cheers

Comment

is something missing ?

so I think there is something missing, around the white part where the key goes ? should there not be a cap of some sort, with indication of ON/OFF, Lock and so on ? If so anyone have one for really cheap....

Also not a lot of progress, it's Holiday time here, lots of places closed, no one is around, a couple of the bigger places are closed up for the season, so I am just fiddling around with the smaller bits and pieces, cleaning them up and getting them ready for paint....

here is the pic, and where the key is, is where I think there is something missing...

Thanks....

Comment

Hmmmm.....Got one of those to.You have a email to.

Comment

Thank you my friend.....

Reply sent

Comment

prepping for paint....

So I am leaving the broken bolts for the moment, I will get back to them latter, and to take my mind off, I have started to prep my various parts for painting, however I really don't know how far to strip the parts down, before I lay on the paint, do I just take off the rough spots, do I take it down to bare metal, do I just scuff up areas, and spray......?

I have attached a few pics of various parts, and various degrees of paint stripping, and prepping, question is what is right what is wrong, is there too much or too little, will not enough look like crap, and will taking it all off give me better results, but take up the next month to get it down to the bare metal on most items......

Please anyone who has done this, how far do you take it.....?

just the bad parts, that were corroded and rusted

trying not to damage the fins too much, some did get bent but I fixed them

is this enough, not enough ?

Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Cont...

all the way on the one side

here and there

yes the pistons need to come out and be cleaned up as well.....on the inside

Comment

If you are sand blasting (looks like it), you will want to get all of the old paint off.
                              Either that or you will have to hand sand to blend the hi and low spots.
                              It will look much better if you strip them all the way. Sorry.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel....

But it's not sand blasting, don't I wish......It's all done on a wire wheel so far....I guess sanding will be next to make the highs and lows blend

Comment

Working...
                                X