No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can try a hi-fill primer an possibly avoid having to blend it all together.
    Perhaps several light coats? Try one part first as a test sample?

Daniel

Comment

Those look like what I do.Get the rust and loose paint off with the wire wheel then paint.If there are lots of gouges I'll do more,but that is seldom done here.

Comment

Its a good start. Make sure you get all the paint off the top of the caliper. And what color are they getting painted? What kind of paint?

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          You can try a hi-fill primer an possibly avoid having to blend it all together.
          Perhaps several light coats? Try one part first as a test sample?

Daniel
          might try the hi-fill primer, have to see where I can get it, and if it will hold up against the brake fluid, or better stripping of the old paint......yukkkkkk

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          Those look like what I do.Get the rust and loose paint off with the wire wheel then paint.If there are lots of gouges I'll do more,but that is seldom done here.
          I was hoping for the same, I guess I will have to paint a few parts and see how they turn out, if the ridges are very obvious, then more sanding, or the hi fill primer will need to be used, I don't see any major gouges in any of the parts so I might get lucky......

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
          Its a good start. Make sure you get all the paint off the top of the caliper. And what color are they getting painted? What kind of paint?
          the original paint is on very good, even the wire wheel don't take if off all that easily, have to really go at it, especially on the brake calipers, some of the other metal parts, it comes off easy, but hard to get into all the nook and cranies.....

Everything will go back as it was, Black.....ya I know very original.....LOL

I have found some VHT Caliper paint (for the calipers and all brake parts), some VHT roll bar paint (for all other metal parts, covers, brackets, maybe even the rims, have not decided on that yet), and VHT header paint, well this is only for the exhaust,,,,, all in black, so I think this is what I will be using.

Appliance paint on the frame itself (Thanks to SVSooke for that tip), and VHT engine paint, naturally will go on the engine

Comment

Mate I can't believe I haven't chimed in on this yet! How slack...

Anyway, when painting high temp. stuff like the caliper, follow the directions from the paint manufacturer to the letter, and make sure it's good paint.

I used 3M caliper paint on mine and followed them to the letter and it's holding fine to the caliper so far. I'm not terribly happy with the finish though as it's not what I call a satin black... I think there are much better paints out there.

As for the other parts, depending on the paint as long as you scuff up the whole surface with some sand paper then that should be good too. I used POR 15 Blackcote on my chassis parts and that was a matter of scuffing with sandpaper (I used 240 grit), spraying some Metal Ready on which gives it a good chemical bonding surface, then Blackcote brushed on.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

why not get a rebuild kit (a couple o rings) tear it down ,and soak it in paint stripper, prime it n paint it, then it will be new condition ,any rubber grommets should pop out fairly easy

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Mate I can't believe I haven't chimed in on this yet! How slack...

Anyway, when painting high temp. stuff like the caliper, follow the directions from the paint manufacturer to the letter, and make sure it's good paint.

I used 3M caliper paint on mine and followed them to the letter and it's holding fine to the caliper so far. I'm not terribly happy with the finish though as it's not what I call a satin black... I think there are much better paints out there.

As for the other parts, depending on the paint as long as you scuff up the whole surface with some sand paper then that should be good too. I used POR 15 Blackcote on my chassis parts and that was a matter of scuffing with sandpaper (I used 240 grit), spraying some Metal Ready on which gives it a good chemical bonding surface, then Blackcote brushed on.
                Thanks pete....

I guess I will have to experiment a bit too see how it will turn out, by leaving on some of the old paint, or will it need blending as mentioned, and or have it stripped down to bare metal

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                why not get a rebuild kit (a couple o rings) tear it down ,and soak it in paint stripper, prime it n paint it, then it will be new condition ,any rubber grommets should pop out fairly easy
                Yup this is another option as well, only thing is it's an expense that might not need to be done, as the seals and rings and all that good stuff seem to be in excellent condition, there were no leaks on the units at all, but once I start to remove the pistons, I just might have to get a few rebuild kits anyways....

Cheers
                Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Well, the problem with paint that I have found is any lack of proper prep at all will ruin the paint job. It will either chip or flake or look poor. I think someone said it already but follow the paint mftr's directions carefully. Properly prep the surface and make sure the surface is completely free of any and all grease, including those from your fingers (where clean gloves). You really can't get it too clean (use a good degreaser). If the underlying paint is in good condition, then prepping according to the paints instructions should be fine (they should have both painting over existing paint and bare metal instructions). You will have to blend and feather any paint to metal transitions carefully. The primer coat will tell you where you still need work. Anything you can see in the primer coat will look even worse once the paint is laid down.

Good luck and keep us posted with the results.

Sci85
                  1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                  2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

polish and paint

Well, I have been busy, as most of us working stiffs, we have the week off, and I tried to make myself busy, did things around the house, spent time with the wife and kids, and also worked on the bike.....

I tried to clean up the bits and pieces as best as I could, some got down to bare metal, others not so much, the ones not so much well they are the test parts for when I paint, to see if they will pass or not, if they don't turn out good, the rest of the part will get sanded down to bare metal and then painted.....

I need some comments and thoughts on the shocks, should I strip them down completely, or just scuff up the original paint and give em a spray with black, or strip em down and polish them ? either can be done, but I am not sure which to do ?

I am also thinking, I will need to replace all the nuts and bolts, as I put each one to the wire wheel, they came up nice and clean and shiny, but I think the protective coating on them is now gone, and they might start to rust ? So a trip to Brafasco seems to be in the future as well, unless you guys can tell me differently.

ohh and the last picture is a Christmas gift, and not one of my pictures but a generic off of the net.....

So here are the parts, getting close to putting things back, slowly.....but I think I will hold off, a wee bit longer..........

Comment

Cont...

Comment

Looks like you've spent quite a bit of time in front of the wire wheel no? I've probably spent 8hrs on the wheel with the little CR80 i've been working on. Thankfully that's almost done and ready to sell. I will be spending even more time with the Zook. One things for sure, thank the good Lord for those wire wheels or the job would really suck.

As far as the bolt, it almost sounds like someone used red thread lock on it. I have yet to see one of those cold welded in the hole. Did any of the other bolts have anything on the threads when you took them out? If so, I would go get some thread lock dissolver and try that as well. Also, tap lightly with a hammer on the outside of that bolt threads once you heat it up. That has worked for me in the past. Sometimes it just needs to be knocked loose in the threads.

Also, I once had one that was really stubborn and it came to having to drill it out. No other choice. Anyway, I started with a small bit first and gradually moved to larger bits, lubricating the bit as I went along. Well, once I got about 75% of the bolts material drilled out, it actually came loose and I was able to thread it out. I guess once enough material was taken away, either the bolt gave way or the process of heating and vibration from drilling loosened whatever was holding it on.

Good luck GK.

Sci85
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I don't even want to see my electric bill......LOL

Comment

I paint my bolt heads http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170297

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                              Great idea.....I wanted to keep them shiny, but they will probably rust, so paint them I will...

and the baking in the BBQ is a great idea......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                Great idea.....I wanted to keep them shiny, but they will probably rust, so paint them I will...

and the baking in the BBQ is a great idea......
                                I was thinking about replacing most of my bolts but I could probably paint them and "bake" them in the BBQ and save myself a lot of expense and hassle.

Excellent idea!

Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                                X