No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elegant. Have always wire wheeled them but never painted them unless they were already on a part being painted. So, how do you get them back on the part without damaging the paint? I can't see that lasting past the first few turns much less something that needed some real torque on it. Divulge the secrets!

Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
      Looks like you've spent quite a bit of time in front of the wire wheel no? I've probably spent 8hrs on the wheel with the little CR80 i've been working on. Thankfully that's almost done and ready to sell. I will be spending even more time with the Zook. One things for sure, thank the good Lord for those wire wheels or the job would really suck.

Sci85
      yup spent many hours so far on that wire wheel, wore one down already, going to have to buy another one soon, still a few pieces to go....

you don't paint after you wire wheel

Did they end up rusting on you, or discoloring on you, since you did not paint them but you did wire wheel them, this does remove the protective coating does it not...

I would imagine after they have been put on and torqued to spec, some touch up would be required ?
      Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Did they end up rusting on you, or discoloring on you, since you did not paint them but you did wire wheel them, this does remove the protective coating does it not...
        Well, in my world of dirt bikes, the bolts usually get covered in dirt so if they do they don't show. And, we take things apart much more often than a street bike so you are hitting them on the wheel fairly often. So I've never really noticed. This is my first street bike rebuild so I can't say long term what happens. I imagine those that see water often probably do rust up. Heck, even the factory ones with the coating did. Or maybe not all the bolts were plated?

I'm sure some of the vets here can provide some long term input. But good to know before I go whacking every nut and bolt on the Zook.

Sci85
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Well too late for me, I whacked everyone of them......

with the wire brush that is.....

Maybe new nuts and bolts will be the way to go, but I will use the existing ones first, paint them, and see how they hold up over time,,,,maybe a clear spray of laquer on each one would be good ?

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Well too late for me, I whacked everyone of them......

with the wire brush that is.....

Maybe new nuts and bolts will be the way to go, but I will use the existing ones first, paint them, and see how they hold up over time,,,,maybe a clear spray of laquer on each one would be good ?
            In the past I have had some success with bolts I couldn't find new ones for that I wire wheeled and then cleared once they were already fastened (masking around them first). But laquer is not the way to go. A two part paint such as Endura or a clear Enamel is much better.

Bruce.

Comment

When re-installing bolts / nuts that I have already painted, I have an old thin t-shirt (don't we all) that I lay over the bolt head then push the socket / wrench onto. It helps to use a 6-point and one that is a little worn. Some will need touched up afterwards but not as bad as if you just stuck a 12-point on there and torqued it down...
              I have also cut the fingers out of those thin disposable latex or neoprene gloves and slipped it over the socket like a condom to get into places that trying to cram the t-shirt into isn't a easy solution.

Comment

My $.02 replace all the nuts and bolts you can if you plan on keeping it around. I have found that after 30 years the nuts and bolts start getting soft and falling apart way to easily especially if they were external bolts. I am trying to replace everything external with stainless.

Paul

Comment

I would do that but the local ACE and such do not carry metric bolts that have the flange built in which is the majority of the type of bolt on Japanese bikes. I usually only replace missing or jacked up bolts on the dirt bikes and since they are so specific, I order factory replacements. However, that's not economical for soemthing large scale.

Where are you sourcing the stainless bits and are the oem style replacements or ?

Sci85
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Lot's of great ideas........

Thanks to all for the input...

I got some nuts/bolts from this place, not sure if they ship outside of Canada

Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Wow, your Ace is messed up as mine here in Colorado Springs has them. If you want, send me the money and I'll send some back to you.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Wow, your Ace is messed up as mine here in Colorado Springs has them. If you want, send me the money and I'll send some back to you.
                        You mean your ACE carries the flanged metic bolts? If so that is weird. Even HD doesn't have the flanged ones here.

Anyhow, I did some net searching and found a place called Mr. metric that has some standard flange metric bolts in grade 8.8 (grade 5 imperial) steel zinc coated. Not a lot of length choices though. Site says a 1.75 pitch, 40mm length is $1.39. Wonder how that compares with ACE.

SCI85
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Is there a Fastenal around?

Comment

Sorry HD but I would stay away from Fastenal after they screwed me over by refusing to just order me a couple that I needed instead of the entire box.

Sci, I just bought flanged metric ones for my brake calipers from Ace using the automotive grade they had. Like I said, I'm willing to check for you if you want (send me the sizes you need).
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Sorry HD but I would stay away from Fastenal after they screwed me over by refusing to just order me a couple that I needed instead of the entire box.

Sci, I just bought flanged metric ones for my brake calipers from Ace using the automotive grade they had. Like I said, I'm willing to check for you if you want (send me the sizes you need).
                              Cool. Will do cowboyup. Just getting started cleaning the engine off as best I can before I start working on it. I will start compiling a list and send over to ya when I have a decent enough feel for what I need. Thx!

Sci85
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Thinking....

So here I am at work, very quiet evening, and going through all the posts as they come up, and a few questions come to mind.....

So I would like to ask of all you wise ones out there, or those even with an opinion, on a few items

I was thinking of using this JB Weld stuff for the 3 items that are causing me the most grief at the moment, and I am not sure if it's a good way of going about it or not.

Firstly the FRAME, was going to make up something to wrap around the dinged part and then pour in as much JB stuff in, let it cure, then grind/sand it down to even it out with the rest of the frame, prime and or just paint as I planned on doing the rest of the frame. Frame is not bent it's straight, it's only this part that has been knocked in, that I want to make back even with the rest of it...Do you think this is a good idea ????

My next thing was to use JB in the two holes, one in the head, and one on the hole for the oil cover, was going to drill out some more, well enough to remove all traces of the old bolts that were in there, and then fill up with JB and then drill new holes and then tap new ones, for the head I was going to go with studs this time anyways, or I will get a new head from a fellow board member here and not worry about the bad hole,,and for the oil side, I have new SS bolts from Z1, so maybe I get a helicoil and set it in the JB weld....Do you think this is a good idea ????

yes the broken bolt is in the picture, but I have since drilled it out, and now have a large hole there

And lastly,,,,,the shocks, should I leave them black, just clean up a bit more and re paint them, or should I remove all of the paint, and buff them out and give em the aluminum polished look, as I will be doing to all of the engine covers. Do you think this is a good idea ????

So all comments are most welcome
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X