1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Spyug....

Thanks, I actually surprised myself on how well it actually came out, I thought it was gong to be far worse, but I can live with it, case guards would be a good thing, if I find a set that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I already purchased the appliance paint, SVSooke gave me the idea, way back at almost the start of this build, so I will go with that, I just have to read if it says to primer or not, I might be adding some more to the frame or taking off what I have already put on....LOL

As far as the head and case, I have not thought a lot about it, really have to have a good plan of attack on that, I cant mess it up, I have some ideas, but still have to mull them over if they are the best way to o about it, more worried about the oil cover side, if I don't have it flat and square, the gasket will not seal properly and it will leak, the exhaust not so much of worry on the angle it can be off a bit, as long as I don't poke through and end up in the engine itself....LOL

But your right I am getting stoked on getting to the point where I will be able to start a bit of assembly
    Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

couple of suggestions

The Frame looks good to me, bet your glad you did it now. maybe before painting add a bit of bog to the front edges so it tapers more.

When filing the crankcase mask the rest of it with tape, leaving just the welded bit exposed. file it down and when your close to tape level switch to a draw filing technique. For a better finish rub chalk on the file first it will help stop the teeth clogging, and have a wire brush handy and clean the file and re challk every few stokes.

one way to drill a straight hole is to make a drilling guide. its just a small block of material (steel) say about 1/2 thick, with a perpendicular hole drilled in it. (use a drill press to make it) this block is clamped to the flat face and will guide you hand drill straight.

Hope that helps,or gives ideas;

cheers John

Comment

Thanks John....

All very good ideas, and some I have used or thought of, others just might come in handy, the chalk thing, is something new.....

My only concern about adding "bog" or JB Weld" is that the stuff will harden and fall off eventually, leaving me with some nasty looking patches, which will require touching up and painting again, this would be my only concern in doing this, the stuff really has nothing to bite on.......my plan was to do it.....LOL

Comment

As long as you prep the surface the JB weld will stick for a long time. You could prob use body filler too.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            I would say so

One bike went through it's 2nd one at 35k or so. The other lost it's first one at 14k...

Try a Honda Forman FET RR. About $30 on Ebay & you are very unlikely to have issues with it... You will probably need to relocate it due to size though.
            Actually that's the one I have on my 85.

Like this one.

It can be stuffed into the stock location but it's squeezed in there pretty good.

The ignitor box is right in front of it.Those wire come direct from the stator to,none of the stock 6' of extra wire for no reason here.

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
              As long as you prep the surface the JB weld will stick for a long time. You could prob use body filler too.
              sanded down to bare metal, and wiped it down, and applied the JB Weld, hopefully it will stick...

mind you that crap is sticky.....wow

gonna let it dry up, and sand down, taking frame to shop Thursday or Friday for prime and paint.....should start assembly on Saturday......

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                Actually that's the one I have on my 85.

Like this one.

It can be stuffed into the stock location but it's squeezed in there pretty good.

The ignitor box is right in front of it.Those wire come direct from the stator to,none of the stock 6' of extra wire for no reason here.
                Just for chits and giggles, gonna hit a Honda dealer just around the corner from me, going to see what they have kicking around, especially to see if they have one of the ones you guys mentioned

Thanks for the info and pics...

Comment

Awesome GK, you have made good progress.
                  Nothing wrong with the frame at all, job well done, right there.

Can't wait to see her with her new shiny paint, keep up the good work,

Comment

frame_primed

Well, I couldn't wait any longer, to try and get to the shop, so I busted out the tarps, covered everything up as best a possible, and hit the frame with primer.....

yesterday I sanded down the JB Weld, and other spots I missed initially, then I wiped her down with paint thinner, and let her dry overnight.

Hooked her up by the tail end, and hit her with a can of primer....

you know, I almost feel like painting the frame in something other than black, this brown/orange looking primer almost looks cool......

but I won't do it.....

now she's gonna stay strung up like this for a few days, gonna let the prime really cure up, then sand any runs (yes there are a few), touch those up, and by next week I should be able to get to the shop and hit the paint, I was really trying to get it done by this weekend, but life got in the way, everyone but me is working odd hours and shifts, so I am left with no car, so I can't even get to the shop......that's all OK, hopefully next week, and I will be moving on to assembly....

here are a few pics, some are really cool

I could almost nickname the bike "The Pumpkin"......but I will not....

ohhhh and the whole house now stinks, like a body shop.......

the wife is gonna kill me....................................

Comment

Looks pretty good GK. What kind of primer did you use?
                      A lot of primers are meant to be sanded before paint with 320 grit.

I'm still not sure what color I'm gonna go with for my frame. I have some black epoxy paint that hardens rock solid when cured but I might do it another color.

Bruce.

Comment

I used

Dupli-Color Filler Primer
                        Polyester Resin
                        Red Oxide

I found no where that is says to sand prior to painting, only to sand between coats, if a second coat is applied, I did read all the stuff on the can, but will check Dupli-Color's web site as well, for any additional info.

It coated really well and filled in all the small scratches left by my sanding, should leave me with a really nice finish once paint is applied

similar to above but in red oxide

I just might give it a very light sand anyways, going to find the highest grit I can and go over everything, before I apply the paint

Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

GK,

I like that color, mix it with black tank and side covers, black out the engine with that orange frame and paint the rims to match the frame but only the shiny parts, tape up the black painted parts of your wheels, it would look awesome, and unique to you.

Just my $.02.

Paul
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Hey Paul....

It would be different for sure, but not really the scheme I am after, unfortunately...

however it would look cool, but the primer is getting darker as it's drying, and the only reason it looked the way it did, was it was a bit wet and a 1000 watt halogen light was shining on it, as I was taking the pictures.

I am trying to go more for the stock look, but a few things will not be.....

Comment

Wow, that's some sweet looking primer. I too really like that color. Wouldn't do a whole frame in it but would look good as an accent color. It's really coming along nicely. Should be awesome once you get the final coat laid down. Keep 'er coming!
                              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Hey GK, like I really dig your Tangerine frame dude, it is like so shoooowhaaa, like it has a serious aura of like stifled urban chaos to it dude, like just the right blend of noise and quiet dude, like way awesome bro.

Sorry GK, me not too sure about 'merican taste and style, but please, please, please for the love of all that is sacred GET SOME BLACK/SILVER/ANYTHING PAINT OVER THAT...PRONTO.

Comment

Working...
                                X