• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    I used

Dupli-Color Filler Primer
    Polyester Resin
    Red Oxide

I found no where that is says to sand prior to painting, only to sand between coats, if a second coat is applied, I did read all the stuff on the can, but will check Dupli-Color's web site as well, for any additional info.

It coated really well and filled in all the small scratches left by my sanding, should leave me with a really nice finish once paint is applied

similar to above but in red oxide

I just might give it a very light sand anyways, going to find the highest grit I can and go over everything, before I apply the paint

Red oxide primer is the way to go on this it bonds to the metal. But! most primers should be taken down with at least a brillo pad or something.
    Pain in the ass but worth it.

One way to see is to spray the primer on some scrap metal and then paint over it without sanding, then prime and take it down (a fine sanding) and then paint.
    wait to see which has a better finish and which has a better paint bond.

Bruce.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Orange frames can look really good if done properly.... Like this Bandit 400

Yes I realize that you don't intend to leave the orange on there but I had to share .

Your bike is gonna turn out amazing btw!

Comment

That there is sweet......

And Thanks for sharing, I just might change my mind...........but probably not at this time, maybe next time, when I rebuild it again...LOL

I hope it turns out well, probably won't be perfect, but it will be much better than it was that is for sure, won't win any prizes, but it will be a nice ride once again....

Comment

Got me thinking of maybe doing the CB frame a colour other than black.Hmmmmm..............

Comment

See,,,,,I/we just might be starting a new trend.....

I was actually originally thinking of doing it either white or silver, but those were not available in the appliance paint at the time I was in the store so I just grabbed the black....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                See,,,,,I/we just might be starting a new trend.....

I was actually originally thinking of doing it either white or silver, but those were not available in the appliance paint at the time I was in the store so I just grabbed the black....

Rustoleum comes in silver and white.Wonder if it comes in red?

Comment

You guys do realize that orange/black is the Hardley Doodleson colours doncha?

Stick with a black or siver frame. Personally I like silver for the white bodywork. To me it makes the bike look lighter. Case in point my Kat:

Just another opinion.

Cheers,
                  spyug

PS the orange pods are just temporary.

Comment

@ Spyug,,,,,you dog....you have been holding out on me with that gorgeous bike, I heard you talk about it and mention it, but this is the first pic I have seen of it....

Very nice

Maybe one day I find me one of those as well, I really like the styling

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                      Orange frames can look really good if done properly.... Like this Bandit 400

Yes I realize that you don't intend to leave the orange on there but I had to share .

Your bike is gonna turn out amazing btw!
                      Hey Spyug,

Orange and Black maybe HD colors but they have never used in this fashion and they have never made them look this good. I always thought that HD colors should have been Chrome on Chrome. Seems to be what a majority of HD owners think. Then again if you have read my thread you can see my stance on shiny parts.

Paul

P.S.
                      GK the frame looks good in Silver.

Comment

My pile of parts for assembly is really growing.....

Comment

Wow, you get to build that inside? Lucky...
                          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I get to bring in only the clean parts.....wife's rules....

This way they stay clean, away from dust and grime in the garage, once all the parts are done, it will be assembled in the garage

There are still many parts left in the garage, including the engine.....

Comment

That pile of parts looks a whole lot better than my pile of parts.
                              I've been kinda slacking off on my doing something everyday.
                              I kinda threw my back out a couple of days ago and have been taking it easy until it gets better.
                              It feels good tonight and I was gonna spend all day in the garage tomorrow but we have to go to the step sons law presentation at the university tomorrow evening.
                              He is the second year of his law degree.
                              Great guy... and a big helpful guy that helped me get the bike up on the table.

Bruce.

Comment

You will get back at it Bruce...health is more important, so don't make it worse, let the back heal first....

Ohhh and I have another pile of parts I primed tonight, just haven't taken any pics of that. And in the pic, I didn't include the rear fender, and air box, and a few other things

next time....LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X