No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the rain would let up enough for me to paint the engine I'd be right behind you with the Skunk.Just pouring today

Comment

Awesome, that is looking soooo nice, need video of the vrooom vrooom noises.

Comment

Fine work sir, you are just barrelling ahead. Actually, all this activity is making me ashamed of my lack of project work this season. Everytime I go out to the man room and look at my 3 on going projects I feel like a lazy turd for not picking up a wrench. With the weather we've been having working out there should almost be pleasant. At least I wouldn't need the snow suit, toque and arctic boots

I have been waylaid by the boss for some decorating projects but I'm near done with that so I should get to my stuff. I do need to finish the Kat and the 750 could use new seals and some tweaking of the carbs at least. The 550 project might have to sit for a bit yet i'm afraid.

Well I think when you get the engine sorted you will have broken the back of this project and it will be all down hill from there. I'm predicting 6 more weeks and you're done ( but I won't hold you to it )

Cheers brother,
        Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
          Looks good GK. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
          Glad I am also, it has been fun, and it has had it's ups and down's...

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Hahahahaha yes! That's where the light starts shining and you can see cool fun times in your not too distant future
          Gonna be a while before the engine will do the vrooom vrooom, still have to get it sorted out, 2 holes to fix and paint...

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          If the rain would let up enough for me to paint the engine I'd be right behind you with the Skunk.Just pouring today
          I have been lucky we had the mild spell here, and the garage was a consistent temperature, so it worked out, plus bringing the parts into the house was a bonus, nice and warm aided in the drying and curing

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Awesome, that is looking soooo nice, need video of the vrooom vrooom noises.
          That we will have to wait for, engine still needs work, drill and tap, and paint, and has to go back into the frame as well....

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          Fine work sir, you are just barrelling ahead. Actually, all this activity is making me ashamed of my lack of project work this season. Everytime I go out to the man room and look at my 3 on going projects I feel like a lazy turd for not picking up a wrench. With the weather we've been having working out there should almost be pleasant. At least I wouldn't need the snow suit, toque and arctic boots

I have been waylaid by the boss for some decorating projects but I'm near done with that so I should get to my stuff. I do need to finish the Kat and the 750 could use new seals and some tweaking of the carbs at least. The 550 project might have to sit for a bit yet i'm afraid.

Well I think when you get the engine sorted you will have broken the back of this project and it will be all down hill from there. I'm predicting 6 more weeks and you're done ( but I won't hold you to it )

Cheers brother,
          Spyug
          Thanks buddy.....Sometimes things get in the way, and priorities change, but eventually you will get to the projects and move one and get em done.

I have been lucky had most nights off, very little to do, so it's been a bit easier to get to it and complete.

6 weeks, well maybe, but I am not even looking at time, just doing, and one day it will be finished......

Cheers

Comment

I am not happy

I have lost my nuts.....

Well not my actual nuts, but 4 nuts for the bike, that hold the little clamps the go at the bottom of the forks, that hole the main bolt that holds the front wheel on....

I have spent 2 hours already looking for them, but they are no where to be found.....

Guess I will have to buy some new ones......

Comment

I have lost my nuts.....
              Ouch......I feel your pain

My whole 550 project is like that and its kind of what stopped me getting it done last year. The bike came in boxes and while I did a quick inventory and things looked like they were there, when it came time to reassemble things were missing. Things like those bolts, one fork leg cap, the mechanics for the speedo off the axle, axle nut bolts for the triple trees and lots of sundry other little bits and ****s. Most annoying. I've managed to round up some stuff but not all and I'm actually thinking it will be easier and cheaper in the long run to get another "complete" bike and use this one for spares.

No more bikes in boxes for me, I've learned my lesson in frustration

Let me know what size those nuts are too would you.

cheers,
              Spyug.

Comment

no problem, if and when I find them, I will post.....

Was looking more, but still no luck....funny, one of the first things to come off more or less, and one of the only items I have lost or misplaced

go figure

Comment

found nuts

Well, after a few hours and more of searching, I think I have found those missing nuts, actually they were always right in front of me, I just didn't see them, as the nuts were on attached to some bolts, that shouldn't have been, and those bolts are the ones that hold the metal bracket and front fender in place, funny how those bolts and nuts fit together, I guess at some point when I was probably cleaning them I put the together to have something larger to hold onto, never took them apart, and this is how I thought they went missing, perhaps if I had been putting on the front fender I would have noticed I was missing 4 bolts as well, and might have found my error earlier.

sorry don't know the size, didn't measure, but the nut fits the bolt, so it should be easy to get their size....

here is what caused me grief for about a half day.....

nuts and bolts all in place

The nuts I couldn't find, are now in place holding the half moons for the front axle

and the 4 bolts that hold the front fender assembly in place, you see 2 clearly, but the other 2 are on the other shock

Comment

Replace them with stover nuts for peace of mind.

Daniel

Comment

Those are self locking nuts, right ?

just looked it up, yup, that is what they are....

I will see if my local nut place has them, I have to go and get more SS bolts anyways.....

Thanks

Comment

I will see if my local nut place has them
                        I hope you have better luck than me. I have a Fastenal, Brafasco and Akroyds 5 minutes from me and none of them ever seem to have what I need. Even Napa and Carquest seldom have anything. I was after studs for the exhaust on my Kat and I went everywhere looking for them and eventually found them in Crappy Tire of all places.

With restos I find this the most annoying and frustrating part of things when you have to hunt down two or three nuts or bolts. One of the most annoying experiences I had was dealing with Fastenal. On an earlier project, they were the only guys that had a certain bolt I was after. I needed 4 of them. Fastenal won't sell individual nuts and bolts you have to buy a box. Most boxes are in lots of 100. In this case all they had was box lots of 1000 and the cost was like $146 or some such. Needless to say I didn't get them but was lucky enough to scrounge some from my pro wrench. Bryan keeps a half of a 50 gallon drum full of cast off nuts and bolts and such and you're free to "dumpster dive" for what ever you need. Took some time digging through but it paid off.

You can still get almost everything from Zuk but they are really costly and it sometimes takes a week or more to come in.

Yep, searching for fasteners is definitely the worst part of wrenching IMHO.

Man, you are doing a super fine job and I'm getting anxious to see how she looks at the end. Clocks ticking, you are down to 5 weeks now buddy boy

Cheers,
                        Spyug
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I have been lucky so far, the Brafasco near me, has had so far everything I have asked for, OK on one occasion I had to settle for a SAE bolt and acorn nut, instead of the metric version but it worked out fine, it was for the upper tripple tree, and enough clearance to use the SAE setup.

Yup I ran into the the same thing on my search for a few items, we only sell by the box, minimum 1000 pcs, and I only needed 2.......150 bucks for two screws, if I wanted that I'd be better off going downtown....ya know.....LOL

I am trying to just change up all the items I can to SS nuts and bolts, that I can....

and no lets not start on SS is weaker, and the other is stronger and so on....I am only looking at the ones that are not crucial like the battery box, or the fuse panel holder, and so on.....

5 weeks,,,,,gonna cut it close, and somehow, I probably will not be done, still a few major things to take care of, engine, exhaust, and painting of the tins, ohh ya and new rubber.

I will be done most of the assembly, just don't think it will be road worthy, so long as I can get it back together enough to roll it around the garage, and not have it in my basement as it is now, I will be happy, I have to start making room for the new bikes coming in as well, so a big clean up and sorting of the garage is mandatory very soon.

everything will be back on the frame, except the motor, and body work

I figure it will be a 90% done in the 5 weeks your allocating me...LOL

Comment

I have to start making room for the new bikes coming in as well
                            What'd I miss? You won the 649 or better yet the Max? What bikes are coming?

I think its real nice of the "boss" to let you have bike bits in the basement. I have a basement shop but after the 2005 painting the frame fiasco I am no longer allowed anything bigger than a rack of carbs in there. Her nose is so well tuned that I can't even have carb dip in there. If I even walk through the house with a gas tank to sand, I'm busted and its "cold shoulder and hot tongue (and not in a nice way) all week. I really could use a nice heated 20x20 shed to play in. If I ever do win any serious cash, I'm moving to the country, putting up a fully stocked workshop and going out and buying every classic & exotic bike I can find. When I die they'll all be locked up in a big barn and allowed to gather dust for at least 50 years before someone else can enjoy bringing them back to life.

The nice thing about dreaming.......its free!

Now tell me all about your new toys ( as if one project isn't enough)

Cheers,
                            spyug.

Comment

I didn't win anything unfortunately.....actually a lady at work did win 1 million dollars a few weeks back, and she is still at work, well for now she is, and I have Spezza's mom working on the same floor as I am....

only reason any part of the bike is in the basement, is it's clean free of any oils, rust, dirt etc....and it don't stink. the rest of everything else is in the garage, and to get into the house it's through 2 doors, so it's OK to work in there, plus I have to keep it clean as the dog lives in the garage, so can't really have stink stuff in there as well....

hey the carbs I cleaned in Pine Sol, and that was left outside overnight because of the stink, it was funny the next day as it formed a nice layer of ice on top, had to break that to get to my carbs...LOL

As long as I air out the place and it don't stink for more than a few hours, best is if I do stinky stuff while she is out or at work, I am safe, no cold shoulder, I get luck sometimes a hot tongue lashing, in a good way....hehehehehe

I too could use a nice garage, had the shop, but that has fallen apart for now...and no room for a shed in the back either, so I make do with what I have...

new toys, I thought I mentioned them already here somewhere, maybe I didn't....picked up a couple of Kawasaki Ninja's, 250 one for me (Green) as a commuter bike, and one the older son purchased as his firt bike (Red), they are the dealer still, will pickup just before riding season, might as well let them store them over the winter. So it's going to be a bit crampped in the garage........
                              should be an enjoyable summer of riding

Comment

Very nice! I'll need to here your personal road test on those. My riding partner and former student (lady) has a 125 CBR she is out growing and I thought one of those might be a good prospect for her next bike. The tests in the mags seem positive but I'd rather hear it from an owner.

I wonder how comfortable they are? I haven't even sat on one but like most modern sportbikes they don't look all that comfy. Mind you that might just be my bad back talking.

Well you best get cracking on with the project if you need to clean out the stable for the new arrivals. The worst thing is trying to work on projects when there are other bikes taking up space.

That and all the crap my son brought back when he boomeranged home last year keeps me out of the cave for now. I am planning on getting the Kat sold in the spring hopefully and I might even dump the 750 in favour of a running 550 as I'm finding the 750 a tad heavy and have nearly dropped it a time or two. It will be nice to get some space to work without fear of scratching or dinting something. I'll keep buying lottery tickets I guess

Cheers,
                                spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X