No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as I posted eleswhere my plans for getting into it today came to a crashing halt as the boss is in a foul humour and I'm at the receiving end of it. If I go anywhere other than to do the chores assigned me I'll catch hell. She is not a happy camper.

I did read up on the engine dissassembly to get at the tranny and I'm thinking I would like to avoid that if at all possible so I think I'll start with putting it back on the lift and rechecking the clutch and static shifting to see if anything jumps out at me.

I never did get to ride it other than briefly in 1st gear so my bud suggested trying to start out in 2nd and shift up, then down from there to see if it changes anything so that will likely be the next thing I check........if I ever get allowed to do that

Pray for me.
    Spyug

Comment

whats wrong with the transmission?

Comment

Ya know Spyug, when I got my Katana it would shift up but not back down.
        So being the fearless type I was I pulled the sump cover to see if I could see anything in the transmission. Of course I couldn't so I then proceeded to pull the clutch cover and clutch. I found the shift shaft, which has a gear on the other end that looks somewhat like a crow's foot, to be misaligned with the shift pawl by one tooth. I just centered it and it's been shifting fine ever since. Don't know if that helps or not.....

Comment

Thanks Smokin I was thinking of looking at that as I think you or someone else mentioned that before. I hope it would be something that simple.

cheers mate.
          Spyug

Comment

SS Nuts and Bolts are ready for pickup

Just got the call from Pacific Fasteners......

my nuts and bolts and screws, and well all that I brought to them to match up old with new are ready for pickup......

I will around lunch time to grab it, and hopefully it will be a good score....fingers crossed....

If it's good I will take pictures and post, if it's not, well this will be the last you will hear about this....LOL

If this is good I can proceed with my assembly......

ohhhh ya, I will get some shop time soon as well, so engine will be worked on to get those new holes drilled and new threads done......

getting close

Comment

That is good news and I look forward to seeing how they look.

Got some good news of my own today as my car has its new engine installed and tested and will be ready for pickup tonight. The bill for all the work came in way less than anticipated too so I'm really happy about that as well. I'll be glad not to have to beg for a ride again.

I'm hoping to get working on the Kat this week too. The wife has calmed down a bit and when I told her I was anxious to get the Kat ready for sale she felt I should get on it and get it done. Jeez women can be so flaky.

So hopefully you'll get somethings done and I'll will as well......fingers crossed.

cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhh My.........................

I am totally blown away, by these guys (Pacific Fasteners) they nailed it to a T......they got me each and every bolt,screw, washer, in Stainless Steel and all in Allen Head Socket style, and I mean everything, from the ones holding the battery box, to the lockable helmet holders, to the ones that hold the electrical panel, and screws for all the electrical parts as well........

Each zip lock baggie has the old and new, the right number required, washers and lock washer if needed, and each baggie was labelled with the size of the item supplied....

I have to take pictures of this, as soon as I get home, this is something to die for...well for me at least.........

I am going to try and compile this information into a spread sheet or some sort of electronic document, so as others might have some use out of it, and if making an order one should be able to quickly figure out the size and quantity required, hopefully I can get this done based on the info I have from these guys and what they wrote on the zip lock bags....

There are a few I think I missed, but will get them sorted out as well, and some I think I don't want to change to Allen Head, like the ones holding the front fender brace and fender, it would be hard to get an allen wrench in there to remove, much easier with an ordinary wrench and an ordinary bolt, but I will go and get a stainless steel one (actually 4 of them) so that I don't have rusting issues.

Pictures to come, soon.......................

Comment

Here they are....

Well as promised, a few pictures of what I got today.....

not the best pictures but you get the idea, I will try to do up a spread sheet or something of all the items I got today, if I miss anything let me know, and I can add to my listing.

I don't know how good this will be for other bikes, but I am sure some of the nuts and bolts are the same......

Comment

It's raining bolts from heaven! Man, those dudes really went all out with labeling everything and such. Costs if you don't mind?
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

That's awesome GK. Bolt nirvana.

Comment

Cost - 60 bucks

Glad to have paid it, all the work they did, saved me a lot of hours trying to figure it out on my own....

I labelled the bags as to where the original bolts came from, they labelled the size's and quantities....

I still have a few to get from them, but have to figure out exactly what, and I also have a few that I didn't label, and I have no idea what they are for and where they go,,,ohhh well, they were in a zip bag, so they gave me the comparable one to what was in there....LOL

Comment

Ok now put that bad boy together already....

Comment

Getting there.....LOL

soon, I promise....

Edit......

I took a look at some more of the bolts I will need, and bagged and tagged them, gonna take them to the guys and get some more new Stainless Steel ones....
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2012, 11:17 PM. Reason: additional info added

Comment

Assembly 4

Well, after a bit of time running around looking for all the Stainless Steel nuts and bolts I wanted to change out, I finally got 99% of them and have once again started the assembly process. There are still about 10 SS bolts I need to get, but in due time, it's time to move on, and get things going.

So I had to move the bike back into the garage, it's at a point I won't be able to continue in the basement because I wouldn't be able to get it out...LOL

not really a whole lot done, but it's starting to look like a bike again

rear shock is in, swing arm is in, tomorrow it will all be torqued to specs, and then I can get some wheels on, electrical harness, and other little dooo dad's....

So here is tonight's progress

Comment

Alright! She's being born again right before our eyes and looking fantastic so far GK! Thos stainless bits really give it some shine and for 60 bones, well worth it.
                                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                                X