No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what the proper name is for the material, it's a vinyl in a Carbon FX pattern, it's not slippery, feels nice, but not super sticky either. As for passengers, I always liked them to hold onto me, it always allowed me to know they are still back there.

And I am still undecided about the strap....if time permits, I will try to put the tank on, the sides and rear tins, and then see how it looks, and yes I will take a few pictures as well....

Comment

Love the seat GK! I paid more for mine to be covered (did the foam myself) and it just has normal standard vinyl on it. If I ever do it again I'll be going to a motorcycle guy instead of a generic upholsterer... not that they did a bad job, they just don't have the same ideas...

I'm definitely for the strap. Once it's on properly and tightened down, it will break the long seat up a little and really set it off...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Pete....

The shop is actually an automotive upholstery shop, but it was recommended by a guy in the bike business, and once in the shop, I did see many other bike seats in various stages of being completed.

It's a father and son operation, old Italians I believe, and doing bike seats is not their bread and butter, it's something they do as a courtesy to those that drop in.....LOL

It was actually their idea for the French stitch running up both sides, only reason the cost went up, if I opted not to, the seat would have been plain and the cost would have been only $150....

The only thing, I wish I had done, and I didn't even think of it, and neither did they was to have it embroidered, could have had my initials, my name, Suzuki, etc....now that would have been total custom then.....ohhh well maybe in another 30 years...

and my foam was in great shape, see previous pictures, all they did was put a thin skim coat of foam on top, since the original foam has the ridges from the old vinyl, the depressions would have show in the new but not consistent, so the thin skin makes it all nice and even.....who would have thought....

Overall I am very pleased, but the only thing I have not done yet is sit on it......LOL

going to have to do that tonight, I just didn't want to ruin such a fine job.....

Comment

well gk my fancy pants rattlecan paint chipped at every hole from the bolts even with washers lol ,i am glad it isnt to noticeable, and only a cheepie job, but it looks so much better than it did, ..(if i keep it a long time, my plan was to re do them ,and polish'em but i want to ride you know i dont have access to that stuff at the moment
          oh, i stepped on the fin battery box wow couldnt believe it! lol i have a lil more work then start up see how the 816 kit sounds

i need to have my plastics soda blasted though i would like to re paint the red, anyone know if there is a real close match? i love the red

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
            well gk my fancy pants rattlecan paint chipped at every hole from the bolts even with washers lol ,i am glad it isnt to noticeable, and only a cheepie job, but it looks so much better than it did, ..(if i keep it a long time, my plan was to re do them ,and polish'em but i want to ride you know i dont have access to that stuff at the moment
            oh, i stepped on the fin battery box wow couldnt believe it! lol i have a lil more work then start up see how the 816 kit sounds

i need to have my plastics soda blasted though i would like to re paint the red, anyone know if there is a real close match? i love the red
            I wouldn't seat it too much, mine chipped as well, but just before final assembly, I would spray the area, and while still wet/tacky I would put the bolt in and tighten to speck, this way the paint didn't chip, and since the bolt is not coming off unless I am about to tear down again, it covered up nicely.....for ones you can't see, I really didn't care so much....

you can see here how mine chipped on/near the caliper holders

the other alternative, is block off just enough so the bolt/washer sit on the part that does not have any paint on it, easy way is if you can paint the part with the bolt/washer in place....

Comment

Such is the price we pay for cheap paint jobs no? I wonder if clearing the rattle can paint job with some of that 2-part clear that you can get in the spray can that mixes the paint and the hardener right before you spray. I think I saw it for around $20-25 a can so not cheap but may be a way to eliminate the chipping on the more visible parts?
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

It's going to happen.....

Well,,,,it was bound to happen, been waiting patiently, and it's finally arrived, well, it will, but I had to talk about it now....

I just got a call, the engine will be worked on this Sunday......

Finally some time has presented itself......

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

I guess the covering of the covers was a good thing, and not a total waste of time the other night......

ohhhhh yaaaaaa

Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

What are you having done GK? I must have forgotten...BTW, that seat is bitchin.
                  1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                  2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I have to drill and tap 2 holes, one on the exhaust, and one where the oil cover is.

2nd picture if you look left to right the 2nd exhaust port, see the blob silver, well that has to get machined a bit and then drilled for a new stud...

the oil cover, you can't see, since the cover is on, not fully just there to stop crap from going in..

then it gets painted, and planted back in.....

by the way, anyone know off the top of their head, what size diameter and length of stud do I need for the exhaust....

Comment

6x40 IIRC

Comment

Thanks.....

Comment

She's gonna be together before you know it.

Comment

Yeeeeeeha, roll on Sunday, shame GK, you have been waiting patiently for this for a long time, I see a motor getting shoe horned back into her rightful place in your very near future...good for you.

Comment

I can wait.................

Hardly..............

Comment

seat pattern

In case anyone wants to see, and have not seen how a upholstery guy gets what he needs to get your seat recovered, here are a few picks of the pattern and the old cover

Comment

Working...
                                X