No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously......I think I will, got a line on some black header wrap......

you really don't think I should ? But they have dents in them the size of my fist in some places, some nasty scrapes as well, and they are rust in color

So I thought the wrap would be good to hide the imperfections, and just the headers not the rest of the exhaust....

Comment

Nah, I am just being full of it, if that is what you have to do to achieve what you are looking for, then that is what you need to do.
      I guess black would not be bad at all, personally I just don't like wrapped headers, but that is just me, so take it from where it comes, but, yeah black would probably work well, just not white.
      I understand that everyone is on a budget these days and it sure is a lot more cost effective to wrap than replace, and I could never imagine a less than perfect set of pipes on all the beautiful work you have done.
      I am sure it will be just fine, it may just take a while for your work of art wrapped in badages to grow on me.

Comment

I like that .... wrapped in bandages.....LOL

and I wasn't being hard on you, with "Seriously" I guess I should have added some emoticon ?

I was only considering wrapping, if I cannot get the dings out of the tubes, If I could and they were not seen, I would not do the wrap at all, it was just a way of hiding the imperfections, and the easiest way I could think of.

Using the black, I was hoping to not have it stand out, but I know it will,,,,,

now if someone has a set of header pips for my Yoshi exhaust and are willing to part with them, I will be more than happy to accept them, but a new exhaust running over 500 bucks and I am being very conservative on that, is just not in the cards at this time....I wish it were...

this is what I was looking at...

DEI specializes in heat and sound insulation products. This includes heat wrap for headers or exhaust systems, heat shields, sleeve products, & more.

Who knows, I could still change my mind.......................................

Comment

ready to paint

well the engine is ready for painting......cleaned down, masked, and ready to go......

waiting for some nice weather, so I can open the garage door, once I am done spraying, but since I have to do it in 2 stages I need a good run of nice days.....now we get all the crappy weather.....

anyways she is ready.....it's funny looking, almost as though the engine is in a cast......LOL

and I couldn't find any studs today for the exhaust, so I picked up these instead, not really sure if I should use them or not, and hold out ;for the studs instead, with some acorn nuts....

any thoughts, ideas, or does it really matter ??????

Comment

Bolts are always harder to put in I find as you often need to "tweak" the header flange to get it to line up. with the studs you may need to also tweak a bit but once its on, there is no more fiddling.

Make sure you put some antiseize on them.

Did you try Napa or Carquest for studs? Oddly enough I got mine for the Kat project in one of the CT Parts Source stores.

They should be fine anyway.

Start a pole for header wrap? I vote no. Lumps and bumps are a source of pride, kinda like scars

Looking forward to paint.

cheers,
            spyug

Comment

These are big lumps and bumps....lol

and I will use the bolts for now, unless I can find the studs before I actually put them on...

Another poll,,,,,,,no thanks, my last one is running 50/50.......almost consistently....

I am having so much fun......

Getting excited to paint that engine, that is for sure, I really hope it comes out good.....I wiped it down with a clean microfibre cloth today, after I masked everything off, and the cloth was still clean after I finished the wipe down.....happy happy happy......

Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                I like that .... wrapped in bandages.....LOL

and I wasn't being hard on you, with "Seriously" I guess I should have added some emoticon ?

I was only considering wrapping, if I cannot get the dings out of the tubes, If I could and they were not seen, I would not do the wrap at all, it was just a way of hiding the imperfections, and the easiest way I could think of.

Using the black, I was hoping to not have it stand out, but I know it will,,,,,

now if someone has a set of header pips for my Yoshi exhaust and are willing to part with them, I will be more than happy to accept them, but a new exhaust running over 500 bucks and I am being very conservative on that, is just not in the cards at this time....I wish it were...

this is what I was looking at...

DEI specializes in heat and sound insulation products. This includes heat wrap for headers or exhaust systems, heat shields, sleeve products, & more.

Who knows, I could still change my mind.......................................

I wrapped mine and they look great!

Comment

Once my 'flame proof' black headders go to hell, I'm wrapping them. I know I'll be able to get 1, maybe 2 seasons out of the paint job. Haha.

Comment

Is that black wrap or the titanium ? may be it's the flash giving it a lighter look....I am hoping the cloth will be darker

but I like the way the pipes look....

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                    I wrapped mine and they look great!

Comment

I don't know if I'd use an allen head bolt on the exhaust flanges, I tried using some on my headers for my Camaro back a few years ago, and they kept wanting to round out inside when I went to pull them, granted I didn't use anti-seize, so I dunno. Hex would probably be easier to deal with later on down the road, or perhaps even Torx heads.

Comment

Black wrap. Then I painted it with the coating. Make sure to paint it. Also I took off the hose clamps and used wire. Looks much cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          I don't know if I'd use an allen head bolt on the exhaust flanges, I tried using some on my headers for my Camaro back a few years ago, and they kept wanting to round out inside when I went to pull them, granted I didn't use anti-seize, so I dunno. Hex would probably be easier to deal with later on down the road, or perhaps even Torx heads.

I used hex on mine. I love them. And they look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            I don't know if I'd use an allen head bolt on the exhaust flanges, I tried using some on my headers for my Camaro back a few years ago, and they kept wanting to round out inside when I went to pull them, granted I didn't use anti-seize, so I dunno.
                            I'm not sure what the previous owner(s) did with the ones I got but the Allen heads disintegrated when attempting to remove. They rounded out on the inside, even with a real snug fitting wrench in them. I suspect that there's no Neverseize or any other product used on the threads when that were installed. I'll bet its a drill and retap for most of the threads.
                            1983 GS1100E

Comment

@bakirkwold - thanks for the tip, I did see they have a spray for the wrap afterwards, so I will use that, and now they have these thinner metal straps to hold it in place, but some stainless steel wire would work just fine as well, and probably less noticeable.

As for the Allen head bolts, it's what was on the bike, when I got it, so at some point if that is not original the PO, changed them, and fortunately for me I only had issues with the one, and it broke,,,,,I will use the anti seize compound for sure, to try and lessen the chances of failure latter on.....

but my worry right now is I think the bolts I have are too short, and I can't try them, right now, have to tip the engine, and all the jazz, so I am going to leave it all as is, until after I paint, if they are short, I will look for studs instead, I will probably have to go back to my other place, where I got 99% of my SS nuts and bolts....

and I think I had very little issue with the current bolts that were in there, (Allen Head) is probably due to the fact they were steel, and not stainless steel..... ?

Comment

Well I went and did a bit of shopping during my lunch break......

was really trying to find the VHT Engine paint, but no one around me has it, everyone is carrying the DupliColor brand, seems it's one of the same, so after hitting 3 different places, I grabbed 2 cans of the gloss black engine paint.....

I am ready.....

Also in my travels I looked for exhaust studs, all I could find was steel ones, no stainless steel ones, so for now, I will use the Allen head bolts I got yesterday, and that will be that....

Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day, I wonder it it would be a good thing to play hookey and I can do the engine, keep the dog out of the garage, and at the same time have the door open, so I don't kill myself with all the paint fumes.

Just might be an idea.....and a good one at that, I have this scratchy feeling in my throat, I think I am coming down with something....cough/cough/hack/hack/cough...

Then again I only have a hour of work time with this paint, to get my coats applied, otherwise I will have to wait a week, sand and then I can apply more, this I really don't want to do, and this 1 hour has me concerned as well, since I cannot do the entire engine at once, but have to flip it over and around and make it do cartwheels,,,,aaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh

but I am formulating a plan on how to accomplish this painting, and hopefully get it to look good........

will post more and pictures once I have actually done something....

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X