No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Tire had VHT engine enamel out here...
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Canadian Tire had VHT engine enamel out here...
      I should clarify.......

they had the VHT engine enamel, but not in gloss black.....every other colour, hell even an ugly lime green, but not a single can of gloss black

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        Is that black wrap or the titanium ? may be it's the flash giving it a lighter look....I am hoping the cloth will be darker

but I like the way the pipes look....
        those pipes will rot fast with that stuff on there, all the heat is in there cooking them, just a warning, i have seen it many times

Comment

I should clarify.......

they had the VHT engine enamel, but not in gloss black.....every other colour, hell even an ugly lime green, but not a single can of gloss black
          ...and in my local Canadian Tire they don't carry 10A glass fuses that fit the 650.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
            those pipes will rot fast with that stuff on there, all the heat is in there cooking them, just a warning, i have seen it many times
            Thanks for the info......

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            ...and in my local Canadian Tire they don't carry 10A glass fuses that fit the 650.
            I guess they are not the same....LOL

Comment

I've been using socket head cap screws in my exhausts for several years. use the anti-sieze stuff (I use the silver colored stuff by Permatex) or you'll fight them out the next time.

Stainless would look good down there; give it a bit o' flash...

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                I've been using socket head cap screws in my exhausts for several years. use the anti-sieze stuff (I use the silver colored stuff by Permatex) or you'll fight them out the next time.

Stainless would look good down there; give it a bit o' flash...
                I was going to use the silver one, or the copper one, either one will be good I think ? But something will be used for sure....

And the SS screws will give it some bling.....it's all about the bling....

Comment

engine painted

Well I finally did it.....................................

It's painted and it's drying and curing, can't take off the masking as of yet, as I just finished not even 15 minutes ago.....

I like it, and it seems to have turned out just great....there is one run I can see, but it's at the back end and won't be see,,,,,this ain't no stinking museum bike, and it's not a lawn ornament....LOL

So I will let the pictures speak for them selves, there are a few, and as you go from to the next, it's all the stages of paint, from a clean engine, all the way to the 3rd coat, even flipped it over part way through to get the top done, now it's being kept warm by a flood light, I have no heater, but temps are warm, garage is warm, and she can sit for a few day's to cure, after I will take the masking off, put the covers back on, and take a few more pictures....

Please enjoy.....and if you have any comments,,,,,I am all ears......

It's great how it was perfectly balanced on the breather cap......made for a great way to be able to turn her around to get to all the sides evenly

Comment

OMG what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kidding, looks sweet. You must be so happy to get this far....finally! Well done. I knew you could do it grasshopper.

Getit locked in and lets get it fired up brother!

Your pal,
                    Spyug

Comment

That looks SLICK in black! What are you doing with your side covers?

Comment

Thanks Spyug.....

Bet ya dollars to donuts, I mess it up trying to get in place.....

Then I am going to be really

I really hope it goes back in without a hitch.....

and I am so proud, I think the paint job came out better than on the frame...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
                          That looks SLICK in black! What are you doing with your side covers?
                          all the covers are polished

Comment

I am going to go with the VHT brand, engine enamel paint

Learn more about how its specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today?s gasoline blends and degreasers.

or was it Dupli-Color....cant remember

I can get it at my local Canadian Tire...

unless there is a better choice ?

When we were doing the GS500 street fighter project we found that the VHT cylinder paint is more of a semi gloss, where as the VHT case paint is more of a flat look just FYI OOPS to late looks good
                            Last edited by hjfisk; 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM.
                            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Well too late now....LOL,,,but I do appreciate the info...

I used the Duplicolor, gloss black.....will it stand up, who knows, there is a clear I can get and spray it on as well, but somehow I don't think I am gong to waste my time and money, for now it is what it is...

Comment

Well watching you go through and rebuild this 83 is making me want to go through mine. Mine is all original , and I am the original owner the bike only has 17,000 miles on it. I have been collecting NOS parts for it for about 10 years not that it needs them but figured someday I would go completely through the bike. We'll see maybe this next winter
                                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X