1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spyug

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, and the offer to assist.....

I will keep you posted, and call you if I need the muscle.....

Cheers

Comment

led lights

Well a couple of things arrived today....the led lights I ordered online from overseas....HK I believe it was....and a replacement package of SS bolts for the covers from Z1 Enterprises,,,,,,wooohooo on the bolts, perfect match and all the right ones to fill up the holes correctly.....I am happy

even the led lights don't seem so bad, I like how they are small and a bit more modern looking instead of the big blocky lights the bike originally has, just doing little things to make it mine.....

and a few pictures....

If all goes well, I just might have that darn engine in by this weekend.....

Comment

I like those GK. They are tiny but bright! And I agree, unless you are going for period correct rebuild, those old lights are uuuuugly. I just put my engine in a couple days ago. I was so stoked. It just seems to make it feel like a bike again. I've been on the road every week for the past month so progress has been excruciatingly slow. Keep plugging away!
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Engine installation......

Well, it's finally done, the engine that is, it is back in the frame.....

So my younger son, spoke with a buddy of his, and his brothers are backyard mechanics, and low and behold they have an engine hoist, at the moment free and clear......

We get in the truck this morning, go and pick it up, takes 4 of us to get into the back of the SUV, and we don't damage anything, that was a relief...

Get home, but son has to go to work, wife is going out shopping, and I have a meeting with the boys for this years moose hunt....bummer, so before everyone is gone, we get the hoist out of the car, and everyone heads out their separate ways

Fast forward a few hours, I am home, one kid is sick, one is gone to work, and the wife is in the flower garden, so it's me, the hoist, the bike, and the engine, and I figure, I ain't waiting no more....

get the winter tires out, lay a few pieces of blue insulation on top, lay the bike over, try and have as level as possible, grab a few tie downs, wrap those around the engine after I lay it on it's side as well, and hoist it up, excellent....

now I go to drop it in, and issues, right away, the air box is in the way, the valve cover is in the way, the engine is snagging everywhere, so off comes the cover, and loosen up the air box, a few wiggles, jiggles, and a heap of swear words, the motor drops in, actually too far, so I have to pump it back up, line up the mounting holes and drive the long bolts in......she is back in place, secure and not a moment too soon, I was almost ready to go and get the shotgun to help out.....

Moved the hoist, stood up the bike, and had a beer.........ohh ya threw the seat on, sat down, and made a few vrrrooommmm vrrrrooommmm noises, I was as happy as a pig in $hit.......

I am glad it's over and in, and a few pictures for you all....

Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Engine installation cont...

some more....

Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

A few scrapes...

Some scrapes....better known now as battle scares...

and the final shots for the day...

Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done......Well done!You made that look easy and just by yourself. Wow, I wouldn't have thought it could be done, without damage to something.

You're a better man than I, Gungha Din!

Keep up the pace and you'll be riding sooner than you think.

Cheers man,
                Spyug

without damage to something.......spoke to soon there, didn't see those pics, but that's easily sorted and no biggy.

Comment

Thanks.....spyug.....

Only cosmetic damage......so a bit of touch up paint, and it will be good to go....working on it already....and wiring the electrical as well, bottom of the oil pan got scraped as well, so that needs touch up, but I don't have any engine paint left, have to go and get another can.....

The biggest issue is the air box, bloody thing gets in the way of everything....completely loose and it still got in the way....a

I will be honest, I did have a bit of help, the wife was controlling the valve on the hoist, to lower the engine in, while I guided into place, but over all it was really easy, as in no muscle on my part was really required,,,,but I still feel sore as heck....

now I can start buttoning things up, fully, bench sync the carbs, get a battery, and order new tires.....test fire, and if all is well, tins go off to paint....

wooooohoooooo,,,,,,the home stretch.....

Comment

Wow, you are so close now GK! I took the alternative route. I put the engine in before most of the other major parts that go on the frame. That left plenty of room. Then I grabbed my strapping young son to help me lift the motor into the frame. Managed to get it in without any damage to the frame. But, you are waayyyy further along. I see you getting in some good summer riding time!
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Sweet Action. Glad the heart transplant is over. Nice job!

One day soon I should be able to get back to my bike. It's literally covered up with other "projects/honey do's" right now.

Comment

Hey Sci85,,,,ya I should have had the engine in way back when, but with the busted bolts that I needed to get fixed and welded, and drilled and tapped, and the time it took just for that, I would be way behind on the build, so my only choice was to continue, and get the engine in when I could...even if I had a done it earlier, I really don't know how I would have wrestled a 200 pound engine back in, these things are not lite.....

Hey GT,,,,yup it felt great getting the heart back into the beast, now lets just hope she will start a pumping soon.....

did the paint touch up before our guests arrived tonite, put the oil cooler lines back on, a few other odds and ends, tomorrow a bit of electrical, and if I bench sync the carbs, I will attempt at putting them back in as well.....

Comment

Nice work GK!! Looking like you could be riding away for the long weekend!

Comment

Hopefully........

Comment

Awesome GK! So close
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Pete....

yup, getting there, bit by bit......

Comment

Working...
                                X