No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if I am missing more than just this so called spacer ? and your saying in length of 1/2 to 5/8 " right

as in part 9,6,8 ? damper rod, spring

Comment

No. You would place the spacer under number 18 in that pic.
      The O-ring, #17, goes on the cap.
      You need a spacer with a flat washer between the cap and the top of the spring.
      PVC pipe works. Just get both pieces the same exact length.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        No. You would place the spacer under number 18 in that pic.
        The O-ring, #17, goes on the cap.
        You need a spacer with a flat washer between the cap and the top of the spring.
        PVC pipe works. Just get both pieces the same exact length.

Eric
        Understood....Thanks

I am wondering if internally I am missing parts, like 9.6.8, damper rod, spring and seal, how can I tell, how do I see, I really didn't look inside and I didn't take them completely apart, they were not leaking or anything, so was not going to rip it all apart for nothing, just to put in new seals, when the old ones were not leaking....

I am going to have to pull the spring, and sine some light down there, to see if I can see anything ?

Comment

A nice bright flashlight should work.
          Highly unlikely that those parts are missing.
          Most PO's don't even adjust valves yet alone repair forks.

Eric

Comment

Thanks...

gonna check latter, it's too nice outside, to be working inside....

a beer, a cuban cigar, nice arm sunny day.....

the bike can wait.....

Comment

Grips installed...

Well a small update....

I purchased the throttle tube and grips from the 2004 Yamaha R1, and installed them tonight, can't tell yet if it's shorter to get to WOT or not, but at least the grips are new and not torn as were the original ones...

And they actually don't look too bad, a wee bit shorter in length, so I had to move things around a bit to have it all nice once again, but overall not bad..

This here is my concern...the zip tie shows how much travel I have, by just holding the front brake and pushing down on the bars, I really don't know if this is normal, I think, they are diving down too much, measuring show a travel of 4 inches, seems kinda too much, while over with spyug on the weekend, on his 750 I did the same, and it seems his only went down about 3 inches, now he does have the anti dive units closed off, and I do not, bleeding was done according to the manual, springs are in speck, so I really don't know....

Any tips or suggestions, other than adding a spacer, I am more interested if this is a normal amount of travel, manual don't say squat about this...

Thanks

crap forgot one more thing....

can I hook up my battery charger to the positive and negative leads, the ones that would be used if I had a battery, just to check my electrical, see if the lights come on, blinkers, dash, etc....

not looking to start the bike, or turn it over, just a quick visual check of lights and such...

I am still waiting on a battery, ordered, but not yet arrived and or picked up....

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Contact

I have contact........

my electrical is operational, or so it seems, this was just a quick test....

but it all works.....

Comment

gk- they dive BAD! you must have air in them, like 2-3 lbs and they shoot up! mine were leaking ,and they still held air, pretty amazing, on mine, no spacers were in there,and cap was snug with them free length, try air and watch the difference

Comment

so your saying they must have air ? I will put some in and see....

I guess if they did not need air, there would be no need for the air valve...

Comment

Lookin good man! Before long you will have that beast running.

Comment

yea the book calls for air, but no more than 35.5 psi thats a lot lol i only used a lil and they shot up, i dont remember a spacer, but i went by the book lol

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                          Lookin good man! Before long you will have that beast running.
                          soon I hope, so far everything is shaping up, no longer afraid to spend some money, like a battery...hey that I am picking up tomorrow....and some new tires as well, those will be on order soon...carbs should be in by the weekend (Hello Mr. spyug.......) and then tins off to paint to complete the package...

well almost, still have to deal with the dents in the exhaust...

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                          yea the book calls for air, but no more than 35.5 psi thats a lot lol i only used a lil and they shot up, i dont remember a spacer, but i went by the book lol
                          will get the neighbors pump tomorrow, and put some in.....hope it works and I don't blow a seal or something...

Comment

Battery

Well I got my new battery today....not installed yet, but it's charged and ready to go, holding a charge right now of 12.7 Volts....

Comment

Awesome GK. Have you fired her up yet?
                              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Nope.....

have to put the carbs in....

maybe this weekend, if I have the time....

Comment

Working...
                                X