No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found some Rotella yesterday 5 litre jug, 20 bucks, but it was for diesel engines ? was not sure if that was the stuff or not, and they had just under 1 liter bottles for like 4 bucks, these did not say diesel engine, and I think weight was 15-40

the jug was like this ?

Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Yup that's the stuff for deisels. As I understand it the deisel oil is better suited to our bikes as it does not have the detergents and other additives that can cause clutch slippage. In addition, it is formulated with zinc and other chemicals that are good for our bearings. $20 is cheaper than I've ever seen it. Maybe you should treat the old beast

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

too late now.....

I already put the Castrol stuff in, as I was not sure on the Rotella stuff....ohhh well

the place seems to stock it all the time, he had lots on hand

maybe next oil change....next year....LOL

Comment

The weather seems to be awfully bad! So I hope both of us get enough time this weekend to get it running!

Comment

Yup.....rain at times can be a positive thing....

plus if the bike catches on fire I can just roll it out of the garage onto the driveway and let nature take care of the flames...,,,LOL

I do have a positive sign,,,,no oil on the floor, so pan is good and holding, as is the stator side cover and the clutch side cover

this is good....

Comment

Buttoned all up....

Well tonight I went over each and every nut, bolt, screw, and so on to make sure all were tight, checked the valves all seems to be in spec, maybe a touch tight, but it seems all are very similar (not sure what a tight valve will do) but hey the bike ran fine before this 7 month journey, so I am hopeful it will run just as good, should actually be better, carbs are all clean, new O rings, all that could be was polished and or painted, so she better run, if not, she is getting a push down to the end of the driveway left at the curb for the sanitation department to pick up on Wednesday.....

After all the checks, I actually did one more thing, it's not a go fast or make me run better thing, but it's the only one I had, and I wanted to put it somewhere.

Unfortunately Z1 Enterprises is the only one to provide a sticker, Boulevard Suzuki did not, and I really have no others for now....I would like to get one for the oil cooler even if it's not the true brand, but I do like the sticker from Lockhart

Comment

Nice GK. My sticker is very different. It has a 4 cylinder engine in the center. I like it as well and will probably find a spot for it on the bike. Your patience is amazing. I could not stand to be so close and not fire that baby up asap. Can't wait to see that video soon.
                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                  So I was going to add oil, in prep for start up this weekend, but I only have 3 bottles I will go get one more, if it's good for the bike, and upon reading some posts around here I am not sure if the stuff I have is good, bad, or what....

So the question is, is this stuff OK to use ??

I also stuck the tank on, just to see, and the seat, and I did put the battery in and hooked it up, but I am thinking since I am not going to be using the bike yet, perhaps I should take it out, just so it don't get drained, or what ever else might happen to it, by just sitting in the bike, I did connect the wires + and - so there is a potential for it to drain right ?

Looking good! I always liked the paint scheme on the E's ..

Comment

Yeah come on already, quit stalling and fire it up Oh and the big picture plug for Z1 is not going to get you a kickback, but nice try.

Let me know when you get some music out of that puppy, I have my Glenmorangie standing by for a toast.

Speaking of which when you do get her going you should christen it with a splash of the good stuff over the tank. Normally I'd say break a bottle over it like they do ships but that would be wasteful (of good hooch) and likely put a dent in something

Cheers,
                    spyug
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

why dont you just use motor oil like the book calls for, ummm its been used for 80 years now? i dont think it would hurt, and also, the bike calls for 4.2? quarts? but at rebuild it took 5 i guess because of the oil cooler just to let you know so make sure ya get enough
                      im breaking it in and ill change it with some good oil,thats on every shelf just incase you know
                      i rode mine yesterday whoooo hoooo i have lots to do yet but im happy i have a u tube video of it running
                      and no your bike should not run the battery down setting a couple days, if so your battery is junk,or you have a direct short somewhere, this isnt your first bike is it gk? i see the green rocket in your avatar, there all similar

Comment

Yeah, quit stalling already, I want to see it run, sheeeesh, you lot take your sweet time
                        Looking stunning GK, I bet she will cook as good as she looks.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Looking good! I always liked the paint scheme on the E's ..
                          Thanks.....unfortunately it's getting painted, tins will be all white

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                          Yeah come on already, quit stalling and fire it up Oh and the big picture plug for Z1 is not going to get you a kickback, but nice try.

Let me know when you get some music out of that puppy, I have my Glenmorangie standing by for a toast.

Speaking of which when you do get her going you should christen it with a splash of the good stuff over the tank. Normally I'd say break a bottle over it like they do ships but that would be wasteful (of good hooch) and likely put a dent in something

Cheers,
                          spyug
                          I have some really nice stuff from back home, going to use that once it's fired up.....and your Glenmorangie sounds good for the toast as well, I'll throw in a couple of cigars....

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                          why dont you just use motor oil like the book calls for, ummm its been used for 80 years now? i dont think it would hurt, and also, the bike calls for 4.2? quarts? but at rebuild it took 5 i guess because of the oil cooler just to let you know so make sure ya get enough
                          im breaking it in and ill change it with some good oil,thats on every shelf just incase you know
                          i rode mine yesterday whoooo hoooo i have lots to do yet but im happy i have a u tube video of it running
                          and no your bike should not run the battery down setting a couple days, if so your battery is junk,or you have a direct short somewhere, this isnt your first bike is it gk? i see the green rocket in your avatar, there all similar
                          ahhhh oil is oil, well sort of, but not really, I used the Castrol as it was on sale, back in November when I started this, it was only to be an oil change on the bike, not a full blown rebuild...LOL

according to my manual it tells me the following

Engine Oil Capacity

Change - 3 200ml or 3.38qt

Filter Change - 3 800ml or 4.02 qt

Overhaul - 4 000ml or 4.23 qt
                          so I put in 4 bottles, I think it will be plenty, and if not I am sure I can add a bit more

Actually it's not my first bike, but just asking the collective wisdom of the members here, just in case I mess something up, didn't want to muck up a 120 dollar battery, by the way, it's all good been in there now a few days, and it's as strong as ever, volt meter says so....LOL

as for the green rocket, it was a consideration for this year, but it seems it will not happen, son has changed his mind and wants to get a car instead, we were both gong to buy new bikes, but now I just might stick with my old girl, and wait until next year

or get Spyug;s KAT.......

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Yeah, quit stalling already, I want to see it run, sheeeesh, you lot take your sweet time
                          Looking stunning GK, I bet she will cook as good as she looks.
                          Thanks Fly....not really stalling, just making sure it's all good, had a few set backs, even today, went looking for some fuel line, you think anyone has any, hell no, so now I either have to put the tank back together so I can run the bike, or keep looking for some fuel line so I can make an IV system to at least test her out

local bike shop had none, a couple of automotive places I hit had none, NAPA ran out can get some on Monday,,,,,,go figure

so no test fire now either....

going out a bit latter have to hit a car dealership, going to see if they have any line so there is still hope.....

Hey I want to get this going as well, trust me.......
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

getting ready

Well to get the bike running, I have to get gas to it, since I can't find fuel line, fast enough, I decided to use the tank ( I almost took the one off of the snowblower....) so with a bit of aluminum tape to where the sending unit goes to block it off, and putting back the petcock, I added a bit gas, this I did take from the snowblower, my gas can was empty....

stuck it on the bike, and if you didn't skip ahead you will find a vid of the start up in the next post...

Comment

uploading is slow........

I will post as soon as they are ready...

Comment

First Start....

I am so happy....

Click on Picture to Play Video.....

Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X