No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool!Yeah getting those fender bolts on with the wheel in is near impossible IMHO.I just take the wheel off

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Got back from my trip and rested up a little. Started where I left off on your thread and my smile got bigger and bigger the more I read.

It really looks good GK!

Comment

The tins look great, but what about VROOM, VROOM? It's time to ride!

Comment

Thank you everyone.......

Still a bit to go, and a few more tweaks, and she will be road worthy for sure...had a wedding today to go to, so tomorrow before work starts, hopefully I can get a few things buttoned up still.

I really hate having to put it all together, and then have to take it apart, since there are still things to do, but I am itching to give her a spin....for sure...

the fender bolts were a real pain in the arse, but I finally got them all in, and I didn't remove the front wheel....a couple of hours on those puppies,,,,talk about a time waster....

the pin stripes are actually some black vinyl I had kicking around, I cut it into strips and thew it onto the bike, beat buying pin stripping at the store, it should hold up for a while....

I am still thinking about painting all the tins black on the inside, so they will all come off once again......I think.....

Well that's it for now, tomorrow is another day......

Comment

Next time you know- fender bolts with wheel on = 2 hours. Removing wheel and putting on fender and wheel back on = 40 minutes.
              Save the extra painting for winter- you live in Cananada! ...winter will be there in a few weeks . Enjoy bike riding while the weather is good. Work on vroom, vroom...
              Save somethings for when it's too cold to ride

Comment

Fender bolts WITH wheel on,
                I use a gear-wrench.

Eric

Comment

No time for anything today.....We were at a wedding last night, had a great time, stayed late, and just got up......a few too many vodka and soda's.....

Find the wife's car has a flat tire, have to take it in to get that fixed, I can see the screw/nail that is the cause, so going to lose time to get that done, and I still have to go to work in about 3 hours.....

NO wrenching on the bike.....

but I will at least go and take a few pictures of the bike, it's nice outside, some sun is poking out, it's the least I can do, all but one panel is on the bike....just wish my setting was a bit nicer, could submit a few pics for BOM....hey just for $hits and giggles..... I have a beautiful place down by the lake, or an old historian house as well, maybe nce I actually ride the bike I will take some pics there as well...

Well off to the get the car fixed...

Cheers

it wasn't a full 2 hours for the fender bolts, but sure as heck felt like it...
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

This is all I got done today....

got called into work early, so not much more could be done, I did manage to break the wires on the led blinkers I installed, so that will now need to be repaired, cheap Chinese crap.....I knew it wouldn't last, but I tried....

I did get the gas tank on, and connected, no fuel yet, but soon, and I also removed the driving lights I put on, I need to find a better way of mounting them, I was not 100% happy with where and how they were put on....

So close and then something happens.....

soon though.....

Comment

nice gk, so how much money you have in this rebuild ?

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                        If he is like me He does not want to know
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                          Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                          If he is like me He does not want to know
                          Some quick math.....

tires - 250
                          battery - 125
                          tin painting - 400
                          decals - 60
                          header wrap - 120
                          SS nuts and bolts - 100
                          SS brake lines - 120
                          brake pads, engine gaskets, seals, etc - 250
                          R1 throttle tube and grips - 25
                          seat upholstery - 250
                          LED relay - 10
                          carb O ring kit - 25 ?
                          various spray cans, primer/paint, engine, frame, etc - 100
                          polishing compounds - 30
                          electrical tape - 7
                          rear tail - 35
                          and in case I forgot anything - 75

Total - 1982.00 give or take.....

my time and labor, blood, sweat, and tears and complete enjoyment and satisfaction - priceless...........

Overall not a bad price to pay for the end result, I figure it can give me back another 30 years of enjoyment, not sure if I can take and use that much.....

but since November to now it's been fun, and with it being spread out over the many months, it's not so bad on the pocket book, even the wife didn't mind, well most times she didn't.....

the bulk of the money was in the big things tires, battery, seat, not much one could have saved on, maybe the seat, the painting etc, but it would have looked no where near as good as she does right now.....

I figure I will have some good use out of the bike, and if and when my son wants to take over, he will have many miles ahead of him on the bike as well.

Comment

I see the Pirelli decal. Did you go with the Sport Demons ? If so, I anxiously await your review. Thinking of putting them on the Kat. and maybe the 750 when I wear out the crappy Kendas on it.
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Yes, the Pirellit Sport Demons, front and back, and one size larger on both....even with out going anywhere, I can feel the stickyness of them just trying to slide the bike's back end in the garage is proving to be a chore now....lol

but the true test will be on the road for sure, and hopefully that will be soon....

mind you I am not an aggressive rider, but I do have a few friends who can put the bike through it's paces, so I will ask them for some feed back as well....

by other reviews I have read, seems they should be an OK tire setup.....

ohhh and I got them from - http://www.petes-superbike.com/english/

good place to deal with if they have stock, they did mess up on my first order, sent me the wrong tires, but they quickly resolved and sent me the proper ones, before I even sent them back the wrong ones....

and the decal, I emailed Pirelli, and they sent me a bunch of decals.....not bad.....

Comment

Wow, looking great. I bet there are some jealous Stormtroopers out there right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X