No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's funny, it's actually what I was thinking after the first time I put all the tins back on.....STAR WARS......LOL

Only difference is I have more polished parts and they have none....hehehehehe

Comment

2 words, awe - wait for it - some.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
        2 words, awe - wait for it - some.
        Thanks........

It's been fun...

Comment

Petcock Leak

So tonight, I decided to put gas in the tank and give her a start, but all I had time for was to put gas in the tank and had to go out with the wife, not for long so I figured ahhh what's an hour.....Close up the place and away we go, were back in an hour and as I am going towards the garage, all I can smell is gas.....ohhhhh $****, now what.....

Well I get in to find a small puddle under the bike, no major spillage but enough, no damage to the paint on the bike, figured it was gonna eat at the engine or frame or something but found nothing, so where is it coming from I don't see it dripping, or a stream of any kind, must be a slow one....

start feeling around for wetness, and sure enough at the petcock, the left screw is wet and a nice little drip is about to drop, so I figure ahhh no big deal maybe I didn't tighten it down enough, get out the 10mm wrench give it a bit more, wait a few seconds and crap still sweating......

So I think back to a day or so ago when I was putting this thing on, I forgot if it had washers or not so in my wisdom I added a SS washer to each bolt, well that right there is the problem, by adding these extra washers it was not allowing the bolt to sit right against the washer already there, I didn't see it until I took it apart (had to drain the gas, tilt the tank and work on it)

So I removed my 2 extra washers, but the bolts back in, tightened it all up,,,,and NASA we have lift off......NO more leak, no more sweating around the bolt, seems we have things under control.....

I tired to over engineer this, and it bit me in the a$$, go figure....

and here are the pics

these 2 buggers

made this bugger drip and sweat gas....

Comment

running_1

Well, waited for a bit, no more leaks, so it was time to get her running....

a few pics

and a short vid, clcik on image below to start the video..

hey the wrap didn't smoke as much as I thought, and it didn't even stink....

hmmmm

Comment

Give that wrap time. Let it get up to heat and it will. Trust me!

Comment

Awesome GK!!! Man it's great to see her together and hear her running again
                Last edited by pete; 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah it runs.................................but did you ride it yet???????????????

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Awesome GK!!! Man it's great to see her together and hear her running again

Thanks Pete......time for a better vid, something during the day...LOL, this week for sure...

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Yeah it runs.................................but did you ride it yet???????????????

Spyug
                    YES, I did....LOL, from halfway down the driveway, back into the garage, what did you think I was gonna push her in.....

and just a footnote, changing the carb caps from the black plastic ones I had to the the aluminum ones I got from Ram, seems to make no difference to the bike, idles the same, runs the same, seems to be all the same....

Riding vid to be thrown up soon.......

Comment

That red light in the dash isn't the low oil pressure lamp-, I hope!
                      Five more builds and you'll be a pro!
                      Now get out there and enjoy some rides before winter sets in!
                      And- great job with the "complete restoration"- leaving no "stone" unturned. I am proud of you. You know it now(your bike)- inside and out!
                      I hope she gives you may years of reliable service. Be careful on that thing, ride safe and have some fun- riding it!

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                        That red light in the dash isn't the low oil pressure lamp-, I hope!
                        Five more builds and you'll be a pro!
                        Now get out there and enjoy some rides before winter sets in!
                        And- great job with the "complete restoration"- leaving no "stone" unturned. I am proud of you. You know it now(your bike)- inside and out!
                        I hope she gives you may years of reliable service. Be careful on that thing, ride safe and have some fun- riding it!
                        The red light in the dash, if it's what I think your referring to, it's the side stand light as well, so it's all good.....

only 5 more, sheesh I thought 2 more and I could get my accreditation as top GS mechanic....

Yes going to enjoy as much as I can, still a few minor things, like the cotter pin for the front axle nut, have to pick one up tonight....

I don't know how many years I will get out of her, my son came out last night, as he heard it running, got on it and I saw the smile on his face, he is not a big fan of the old girl, but I have a feeling, if he is smart, instead of buying a new bike, he will take this one and run her for a while......maybe I find me a KAT to work on......

always being careful and ATGATT is always a priority....

I figure if the weather holds up, I could get almost 3 months of riding....and pay for a whole years insurance.....

Comment

cotter pin assortments are cheap and handy to have around. Don't just buy one cotter pin.

Comment

cotter pin assortments are cheap and handy to have around
                            Princess Auto about $5

Spyug

Comment

Hitch pin assortment instead.
                              Harbor freight even has them.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                                cotter pin assortments are cheap and handy to have around. Don't just buy one cotter pin.
                                Originally posted by spyug View Post
                                Princess Auto about $5

Spyug
                                Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                                Hitch pin assortment instead.
                                Harbor freight even has them.

Eric
                                LOL

but I only need one......hehehehehe

I am sure I will get an assortment at my local Canadian Tire or Home Depot, they are like 5 minutes away, all other stores are at least a half hour.....lunch time tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                                X