No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Lord! How long has that bike been sitting around?
    It's got a Pirelli Phantom on the rear! Haven't been able to get one
    of those for years!
    Loved those tires.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

I believe that tire was put on back in 1996, ran the bike for about 4 years off and on and it's been parked in the garage since then. It's an old tire for sure, and will have to be replaced, as will the front.

Any ideas on what to get ??

Comment

Pirelli Sport Demons.
        Or Metzler Lasetech. Although I don't know how a Lasertech on the rear would be. But the fronts are nice.
        The Three Horsemen
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Thanks.....

And I don't know how you saw what tire was on the rear, all I see in the pic is Pirelli, but you even got the Phantom part....good eye,,,,,by the way the front is a Phantom as well

Comment

I have that tread pattern committed to memory.
            Phantoms were, in my opinion, the BEST tires you could get.
            That front tire must be a Phantom Touring.
            The regular Phantoms for the front had the same tread as your rear.
            Those things stuck like crazy.
            The Three Horsemen
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Very happy with the Lazetec's I got for Old Yeller.They where all my bud who runs a shop could get at the time.Done more rain riding than I like this year.Never worried once about the tires.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Yes the front is a SuperTouring Pirelli Phantom and the rear is a Phantom+1 Pirelli Sportcomp

I really hate riding in the rain, and will try to avoid it as much as possible, but it's nice to know one has a good set of tires if you get caught in it.

I really don't know what I will get, but I will look out for what you guys have recommended and take it from there.

Comment

The Metzes are nice but $$,pretty much decicided to try some Shinko's on the Skunk.Reveiws here are good.

Comment

so it's been what 15 years since I purchased tires....what kind of dollars are we looking at these days ? Throw some numbers at me, please

Comment

Metezlers where about $400 OTD.The Shinko's will be about $200 or so. These are Canadian prices BTW.

Comment

And that is for a pair right ? I really hope not each, as in front and rear.....

Crap, I think I paid a hundred for each of the Pirelli Phantoms way back when....

Comment

Prices not much better around here.
                          I think for Sport Demons, front & rear, it was about $350. Mount, balance, disposal fee & tax.
                          That's me pulling the wheels & taking them to the shop.
                          Now I might have saved a little money shopping around, but I've been buying tires from the same guys for nearly 26 years. They are a good shop, all they do is tires. As long as they are open, I will buy my tires from them.
                          The Three Horsemen
                          '83 GS1100ES
                          ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Found your thread and thought I might as well tag along for the ride.
                            Bummer about the gauge cluster. If you attempt to cut your own plexi have a spray bottle of water handy and keep spritzing water just ahead of the cut line. That helps keep the plastic from melting and building up on the saw blade, gives you a much cleaner cut. Same way when you drill the hole for the trip reset knob.
                            As for tires, I find consistantly low prices on www.motorcycle-superstore.com they have free shipping on anything over $100. Now if you plan on taking them somewhere to get them mounted, check their price if you bring in the tires. My local bike shop charges more for the mounting if you don't get the tires from them. May come out a wash to just get the tires there.
                            Keep up the progress it's gonna all be worth it in the end.

Comment

Yes it was prices for 2 tires.Motorcycle Superstore shipping is not free to Canada Scott

Comment

Awe man... always a catch!

Comment

Working...
                                X