No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good. I see the first thing you did is confirm the size Booking off this aft with a brainfart no doubt

I sense there will be some "around the block road testing" going on soon.

Have fun.
    Spyug

Comment

no, gotta work,,,,have a few things on the go that need to be done, unfortunately...

but I am on the phone, getting the local guy to have the tires mounted onto the rims, he was charging 20 bucks a tire and this was balanced and installed....not bad...

Testing.....soon,,,,,,for sure.....

by the way does anyone know, are the valve stems all the same, like the same for a car rim, and a motorcycle rim, or are the bike ones specific, I need new ones, and just thought of this now.....crap.....

Comment

The tire shop should be able to handle that for ya when you have them mounted and balanced

Comment

So out of curiosity, I checked the date code on the new tires and of course the ones on the bike currently.....

new tires

Front - 1611, so that is April 2011
          Rear - 2211, so that is May 2011

This makes them a year old already, should I be concerned about this ? I thought I would be getting something a bit newer ?

Old tires

well I won't worry too much about the week or month, but the front was 1985 and rear was a 1987......

I think it was time for a change.....

Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

No sweat. A year is new stock. 5years old is well...............old stock. Having said that, if they were properly stored, out of direct sunlight, temperature controlled they would be good for 6 or 7 years. My front was the same. More than a year when sold as new. Still a ok.

Get them mounted and ride that biotch already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to hear of a road test this month damit!

Cheers,
            Your pal,
            spy

Comment

They should wear out before you have a thing to worry about

Comment

Thanks pal......

I am working on it, pm sent to guy to do the mounting of the tires, waiting for an answer...

I am also figuring a way to keep the bike upright while the wheels are off......I have no stands of any kind...LOL

it don't even have a center stand, dammit......

and I am glad to hear that the tires are OK, you confirmed what the guys I bought from said as well, this is about as new as you can get most times, they didn't even have my tires at their place they had to order them from their supplier's, so I guess it's all good....

I just hope they fit and are not too wide, I did go up one size from stock front and back, others have so I should be OK as well, it will be nice to see the new shoes on.....

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  They should wear out before you have a thing to worry about
                  Now if I rode enough that just might happen.....

I am really going to try and get more saddle time....

Comment

What the PO of the 550 parts bike did was make a center stand of hammered up 2X4". I don't know if you remember seeing it but its super sturdy. Its roughly about 10" square about 4 levels high. To make it safer, I ratchet strapped the bike frame to it.

In the case of the 750 its going to be about 300/350 pounds without the wheels & tank so you'ed need some muscle to help you get it on.

The other alternative is , of course, to pick up a bike lift from Crappy Tire. Great tool and good to have for bike restos but around $75 or so these days.

The 2X4 platform is cheapest, or you can run down here to borrow my lift. Just bring some Slivovica & Cubans for the rental fee

Are you getting all excited yet?

I'm getting excited for you.

spyug

Comment

Missed the stand while there, but I have an idea formulating, I have some 4X4 posts in the garage, will use them to make something up, either something under the center of the frame, but the exhaust is sort of in the way, or on the swing arm on either side, the front can just be on the ground once the wheel is off. I got the boys at home, so they can assist in the lifting.

I am getting excited for sure, can't wait to see if it all falls apart once it's on the road....hopefully it all stays together, and I don't have parts fling around me, behind me and or ahead of me.....

slivovica and cuban cigars, anytime buddy

Comment

rear tire

Well I got ready to get the rear tire installed....

Don't you just love my ghetto motorcycle stand....LOL

hey I had to think fast, and use what I had at hand, so cut up a 4x4 and a 2x4 and screwed it together, got the stand under the mono shock, lifter it up and put the wood under the swing arm, pulled out the bolt, and removed the tire....

It's only safe enough to do one at a time, rear only, not the front yet, but that is OK, better than having the bike fall over, even now I am scared but it should hold up hopefully the dog won't knock it over, and no one else is in the garage but him...

now I can only get a hold of the guy who said he will do the tires for me, he was 20 bucks a rim, but if I can't get a hold of him, then it's off to the dealer, and I really don't want to pay 90 bucks a rim for install and balance.....sheesh

I was comparing the old tire to the new one,,,,I really hope I won't have a clearance issue with the 130/90/17 that I chose to go with......it seems it's gonna be tight.......yikes

I feel like I keep going one step forward and 2 back, every time I post a picture there seems to be less on the bike than before....LOL

and I thought I was close to the finish line....

and of course a few pictures...

Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Gorgeous!

Comment

hahahahaha

hey it works.....

LOL

Comment

So whats wrong with fitting the tires and balancing them yourself the old fashioned way?

your stands a winner, you could make a wheel balancer in a simular way...

Just sayin

John

Comment

Originally posted by john82q View Post
                                So whats wrong with fitting the tires and balancing them yourself the old fashioned way?

your stands a winner, you could make a wheel balancer in a simular way...

Just sayin

John
                                absolutely nothing,

however I don't have the necessary tools to remove and or put on tires, and the person who is going to do this charges only 20 bucks per rim...and he has the equipment needed....I can live with that....

Comment

Working...
                                X