No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well what can I say, I am not a very happy camper......

tonight I found myself with some time and decided to put the chain on, and line up the rear tire, and bolt it all down and get it ready, I made arrangements to take the tins for painting this Friday and I would get them back in about 10 days...

So I go and get the tools, take out the master link, remove the clutch cover, and feed the chain through, on the front sprocket, onto the rear, put back the master link, it was going very good

next I got the proper tension on the chain, and tightened the axle bolt to spec, all look good,,,,,but wait.........

I spin the tire, and it's not round, it looks like an egg rolling around, and the side wall is going in and out in one spot, WTF......

I inspect this more, and SOB, the bloody tire is not seated correctly, the bead is not exactly where it should be, CRAP..........

so everything has been taken off, and air is out of the tire, and sure enough, the bead did not seat properly, so now I have to take it to a local shop to put air back in ( I don't have a compressor with high enough pressure) and hopefully it will pop in place,,,,,,,,I say pop in place, because when the tire was installed on the rim the other day, I never heard the pop that is typical when a tire seats itself properly.....I should have questioned the installer, but hey I thought he was the expert.....ya right.

well I am bummed, so no pictures.........

2 steps forward, and 1 step back.....

let's hope for a better tomorrow............................

Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

It's too bad with all your effort that this stuff gets in the way. It's good that you found out about the tire by spinning it in place and not while leaving the driveway.

Great work though. That bike looks sweet. Actually I'd say better than new.
      Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Yup , its the old GS two step. Happens everytime. You should invest in a compressor as they are really a useful tool. Even the 2 gallon units you can get for around $50. To seat the tire, deflate it, put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire, synch it down and reinflate.

I'm going through the two step with the 750 getting ready for a cert. Went to take it in and find out the front brake light switch is not working. Fiddled with it for hours, no go. Tried to get a new one, no go. Had to order one which might be in later in the week. My guy is taking a long weekend and won't be in Friday so getting a cert this week might be difficult.

On the 550, I take it out for a road test as I'm planning to get it on the road this week and 1) the carb is leaking again and 2) it won't go into neutral. After finding out that my insurance will not automatically cancel my coverage on the 30 year old bikes i was planning on keeping the 550 but now I'm having second thoughts.

Yup the 2 step really puts it to you.

Don't worry, that's an easy fix and you will be sorted soon. Too bad that the tins will be another 10 days or so, that's going to be a long wait.

Keep your chin up.
        Spyug

Comment

Bummer GK.

Old metal is high maintenance typically. At least it gives us something to talk about and another chance to learn right? Never would have thought about a ratchet strap. Pretty smart stuff.

You'll get there! Keep pluggin' away.

Comment

Thanks spyug,,,

I see an air compressor for sale right now at Canadian Tire, I think I will go get that one, and return the 2 extra jack stands I purchased but don't need.

What happened with the tire from what I can see, is it probably didn't have enough lube, and part of the bead is actually stuck in the center of the rim, it didn't pop out to the out edge of the rim, so it's kinda pinched, but held air, and the reason for the out of round shape, and the skinny'ness of the tire as well.

I have my younger son taking to his school auto shop, he can lube it up hopefully, and use their air compressor and hopefully the tire will pop into place properly.

The ratchet strap is a good idea, but I don't think it will help me as it won't move the bead out to the rim edge it's only going to squish it even more in the center grove...?

Bummer on the switch, if it's not one thing it's another, but thankfully once they are going, they can go for a while, and require little to no fiddling with...LOL

Bad timing on the tins, he is taking the first week in July off for holidays, hence the delay, ohhhh well, I still don't even have decals, so those need to be ordered and I guess they will go on top of the paint and clear coat, I wanted to have them on and then clear coat, but that is not going to happen either, not really a big deal so it's all good....

It's just cutting into riding time, and I have lost so much of it now.....my time line for this is really out of whack....hehehehe

Good Times,,,,

your right it gives us something to talk about, wrench on, probably out of trouble as well, hey I could be out chasing women, right,,,LOL

I am sure that wouldn't go over well with my wife though....I think she is OK with me in the garage, with the bike and the dog....

So close to the finish line, but it's OK, now that I am again in the wait mode, going to tackle the dents in the exhaust, at least try to, if they don't come out, the wrap goes on, well the wrap was going to be done anyways....so I will keep busy one way or another.

Cheers

Comment

good to go....

Well I popped her cherry.....so to speak.....

took the tire and rim to my local Canadian Tire store, the automotive portion and some young kid there sweeping the floor, asked if he could help me out to pump up this tire for me, as it's not seated right...

Sure no problem mister....he says, well that made me feel old....

so anyway, we proceed to let all the air out, lube up the rim and the tire and apply air, still the same thing, crap.......so we do this about 3 times, it just won't pop over the inner ridge, more lube, more air, removed valve needle to allow more air in, nothing, boy now I am thinking the stinking tire is defective maybe.....

so for the sake of argument, I see he is applying about 40psi to the tire to get it to do it's thing, I say you know what, crank that puppy up to 60-70 psi and give it a blast......well it started filling up and all of a sudden on the one side.......

POP ......

the other side did not POP, but I can see it's seated correctly, it's all lined up nicely now, whew.....

all's well once again in the world, my tire is on the rim correctly, brought the pressure down to 35 psi, threw it in the back of the truck, and went back to work......what a way to spend my lunch hour

tonight she goes back on

Comment

If you let the air out and break the beaks with your foot or tire irons and then lube the rim good and inflate to about 50 psi it'll seat. Then you lower the pressure to around 30 psi or wherever you want it. Easy fix.

Comment

was not so easy, as you can see in the previous post, it just wouldn't seat, and we did break the bead about 3 times as well, lot's of lube,,,,,,it was the 60 psi that finally did it..

I am glad it's done, is all I can say.....

Comment

Sweet. Now onto the next problem! LOL

Comment

Good job! Ready to ride?

Comment

Bite your tongue there GT......no more problems I hope.....

surviverguy, not yet, but soon I hope....

Comment

tires on, chian on, chain guard on....

Well I finally have it back together, and it seems to be all good now, I have the tires on and bolted in place, the chain is on and adjusted, even the chain guard is in place.....Ohhhhhh it feels so good

here is a picture of how far off the tire was, it's still not 100% but better than what it was

and a few shots of it buttoned up...

I had the seat on as well, then took it off, before I snapped the pictures...ohhhhh well

next is painting of the tins, taking them to the painter on Friday, and if I have a chance I will try to pull the dents out of the header pipes, and hopefully wrap them as well......yes I said wrap them, especially if I cannot get the dings out.....it will be a black wrap, so it shouldn't even be really noticeable, all that much....

Comment

Very nice so far GK, did you do anything with the rear shock?

Comment

Thanks jwhelan65.....

did nothing with the rear shock, other than clean it up, is there something that can be done ? it seems to be working fine, even the controls for dampening and preload are working, at least it seems to be....

do you have some ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                Thanks jwhelan65.....

did nothing with the rear shock, other than clean it up, is there something that can be done ? it seems to be working fine, even the controls for dampening and preload are working, at least it seems to be....

do you have some ideas ?
                                My OEM rear shock on my 700 started squeaking very loud, bike only has 8800 miles but it sat for quite awhile prior. I am getting ready to install a Hagon as an upgrade... luv your bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X