No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks there buddy, for the little flak......

heard of Zdeno, but never been there, and all I need is the header part, the can is still good...

the dings are less noticeable, which is a good thing, and it's what I was after

Hey what do you guys think......should I stick em in the oven to dry them out and heat them up ? or will it muck up my oven and make it all smell to high heLL ? and get the wife all mad at me....

for those that don't know, there is a bike show in Niagara July 20-22 I believe....

Comment

Way to join the exhaust wrap club! It looks good huh?

Comment

Let me put it this way... there is no way on earth I would wrap my headers... but I spent nearly $800 to get the system custom made exactly how I wanted it and ceramic coated...

If I had dinged up dodgy headers like yours I'd be seriously tempted to do just what you did and wrap 'em

Leave 'em like that until you find a better set... and don't bake them in the oven! My understanding is the exhaust wrap smokes and stinks when you first get heat into them... me thinks that would not be good for an oven you wish to cook food in afterwards...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Headers look good in an old school hot roddish way!
          Probably make for a cooler ride against the legs too.
          You won't have to worry about plastic bags burned on there either!
          Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Definitely do not bake them in her oven. Or make sure all the guns and ammo are locked up. I burnt a plastic spoon the other day and I'm still hearing about all the stink in the house. I can't smell it but she can.

As for Zdeno's you have to check it out. Ontario's bike graveyard. What they don't have wasn't ever made. Its an eye opener.

Fingers still crossed for your tins.

spyug

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
              Way to join the exhaust wrap club! It looks good huh?
              It will be OK, it was a cheap way to make the ugly sort of go away...

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Let me put it this way... there is no way on earth I would wrap my headers... but I spent nearly $800 to get the system custom made exactly how I wanted it and ceramic coated...

If I had dinged up dodgy headers like yours I'd be seriously tempted to do just what you did and wrap 'em

Leave 'em like that until you find a better set... and don't bake them in the oven! My understanding is the exhaust wrap smokes and stinks when you first get heat into them... me thinks that would not be good for an oven you wish to cook food in afterwards...
              Yes your right if I had a nice set, or a custom set there is probably no chance of doing the wrap, but I couldn't get the dings out, didn't want to try and fix and then put a hole in them, make it even worse, so the wrap was a quick fix, maybe if I keep the bike and find a good set cheap, I might swap out, bot for now, it will just have to do...

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
              Headers look good in an old school hot roddish way!
              Probably make for a cooler ride against the legs too.
              You won't have to worry about plastic bags burned on there either!
              I think it will be OK, once I spray on the silicone stuff they say to use, they will be or should be darker, so it really shouldn't be so bad, and it just might look not too bad...

We shall see, I might have them back on tonight....

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              Definitely do not bake them in her oven. Or make sure all the guns and ammo are locked up. I burnt a plastic spoon the other day and I'm still hearing about all the stink in the house. I can't smell it but she can.

As for Zdeno's you have to check it out. Ontario's bike graveyard. What they don't have wasn't ever made. Its an eye opener.

Fingers still crossed for your tins.

spyug

Guns and Ammo are always locked up.... our crazy laws say this has to be the way......

I will keep the wrap out of the oven, I don't want to get beat up, she is already looking at the cost to this adventure and she is not pleased....and I am not even done yet.....good thing I have that part time job....

I have thought about going to see this Zdeno place, just have not gotten around to it,,,,,yet,,,,,hey another road trip......

for the tins, I couldn't wait, so I sent a polite email to the guy, telling him I am anxious.....and I am ready to pickup on Saturday,,,,hint,hint, but as of right now, no reply......

Good things come to those that wait......

Comment

Good things come to those that wait......
                Jeez I hope he's even started and doesn't pull a Bryan on you.

Speaking of hoses, I've spoken with Raymond from Rennsport a couple of times this morning and I am really impressed with how thorough and helpful he is. He doesn't have the exact fittings I need but he quickly came up with an excellent solution that I'm sure will work. I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Sorry to hear that the boss is getting craby about the bike expense but just tell her its keeping you off the streets,out of the bars and or chasing skirt. That should calm her down for a week or two ( well maybe just a day or two since we tend to get them wound up again sooner rather than later )

Cheers,
                Spyug
                Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

all wrapped up...

Well they are done...

I let them sit in the sun all day yesterday, this dried out the wrap really nice, I then brought them indoors and sprayed them with the silicone spray/paint or what ever the heck it is, and even did the rest of the pipe with the spray stuff, I think it turned out really nice, it's gone fairly black, even the pipe has changed color compared to the high temp header paint I used before, this stuff is a bit more glossy...

Well anyway, it's done, tomorrow I will put them back on the bike, I just wish I could run the bike so as to bake the stuff on, but that will have to wait....

so a few more pics...

baking in the sun after the wrap yesterday

first coat of silicone spray...

somewhere after the third or so coat, was running out of the stuff..

did the pipe on the can with the silicone spray, a bit of a gloss finish

I think it's going to look really good......

who said wrap don't look good....hmmmmm

I am kinda liking it....

Comment

Should look really good GK. Nothing like a mummified header!

Comment

+1 for Zdeno in KW. That place really does have a mountain of bikes.
                      Knowledgeable staff there too.
                      I haven't been there in a number of years but it was pretty awe inspiring when I did go.

Wraps are a great way to 'fix' those headers! might keep some hot air off the engine too.

Tank

Comment

Looks good. I've thought about wrapping my pipes on my '81 750 as well.

I'm also a part of some Subaru forums and was looking into wrapping my headers on my 2.5RS. They claim that it significantly changes the tone of the exhaust note. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that once you've got it on your bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Weeksz View Post
                          Looks good. I've thought about wrapping my pipes on my '81 750 as well.

I'm also a part of some Subaru forums and was looking into wrapping my headers on my 2.5RS. They claim that it significantly changes the tone of the exhaust note. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that once you've got it on your bike!
                          Interesting you say that, just picking up the header and setting it down on the garage floor, or the back patio on the concrete, there is more of dull and deadened sound now, the for sure don't sound so tinny as they did before...

Only thing I dislike right now is the rough feel to the pipes, like a woman's leg that has not seen a razor for a few weeks or so....I wonder if that will eventually go away and they will become smooth, or will they stay and keep the fuzz......

I will post comments on the sound once they are on and bike running.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            Interesting you say that, just picking up the header and setting it down on the garage floor, or the back patio on the concrete, there is more of dull and deadened sound now, the for sure don't sound so tinny as they did before...

Only thing I dislike right now is the rough feel to the pipes, like a woman's leg that has not seen a razor for a few weeks or so....I wonder if that will eventually go away and they will become smooth, or will they stay and keep the fuzz......

I will post comments on the sound once they are on and bike running.....
                            I hope the fuzz doesn't grow and become real hairy...

Comment

Good thing it don't look like a sheep........

Comment

Best thing of all is that the bike is not a sheep!
                                What about those tins? Are they white yet?
                                Any Vroom, vroom?

Comment

Working...
                                X