1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    heading out of work just about now, and driving over to spyug's place, by the time I get there the tins should be getting there as well....

I'd say another 2-3 hours...

sorry.....

Hey I am just as excited.....to see these things
    Wooohooo!!!!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Excited to see how they turn out!

Comment

tins painted

Well.......................

they are done, I have them, and I am happy

Got to Spyug's place, well before the painter, had a good stiff drink, then we had a nice light dinner, a nice pasta dish with lots of good stuff in it, even some nice shrimp, that just kicked it up a notch. We were sitting around shooting the breeze, and a knock at the door, and it's the painter with my tins.....

Get outside, have a quick look at them, spyug and I determine the a job well done, out his car into mine, paid the man (promised him more business) and bid him a good night...

Then it started pouring rain, buckets of it, so left the tins in the car, retreated to the garage, pulled out the Cigars, some more wine, and talked some more, soon it was time to leave, no sooner do I leave and I have to go back, left my camera, cigar case, umbrella in the garage, well that was a bummer, get back, grab my stuff and head home....

Well I have no daylight now, but I did promise you all some pictures and so here we go......

Yes they are pearl white, with some sparkle in them, however in the pictures they appear to be silver, this is not the case, poor lighting in the house, flash washes it out, so bear with me, until I get them outdoors to take some better shots....

Have to wait for some sunshine, and do some outdoor shots, to really get the colour and sparkle these tins now have, but that will be for another day, forecast is for rain, and not so nice weather, but it will come...

More pics to follow

I hope the wait was worth it, it was for me, now I am almost afraid to put them on the bike........

Thanks for looking

Spyug Thanks for dinner and the hospitality

More to come...............latter

This is what we were waiting to blow over, but it didn't happen till much latter....hard to see the rain but it was coming down good and hard

Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Always glad for your company and thanks for bringing my plastic paint and the delicious stogies.

I think everything turned out really well and will look stunning when you get the lettering on.

The pics are nice but don't do them justice. They look almost silver but in reality and natural sunlight they are iceberg white. Its definitely going to be bike of the month quality.

Now slap on that tank, pour in some juice and rip it up a bit.......and get one of the kids to take a vid !

Cheers man,
          spyug

Comment

yes they are white, hard to do a good shot indoors, and crappy lighting, here are 2 with a flash but it wash's it out really bad...

Comment

I realise they're crappy photos but I can see the pearl and they do look promising

Can't wait to see them in some natural light!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Sorry guys, they really are not doing the justice to the paint job at all.....

Better pics to come, I promise...

Comment

Decals

So I got some decals made up, but I am not sure about the tank one, I think it's too big, or is it ? By measurements it is larger than the original that was on there, not by a whole lot, but enough, so now I don't know if I should have the place redo them for me, to the correct size, or just leave them as is, and go with the go big or go home adage....LOL

here are a few pics taken this morning

Comment

Very nice! Gonna pop in pearl white. Waiting on pictures of her wearing her new clothes.
                    1983 GS1100E

Comment

I don't think the tank badges are that bad but I wonder if they should be more centered i.e. up about 3/4" and toward the back abit? I was also thinking about the underside of the fairing. That embossed panel was painted black I believe. Do you think you should do it black too or leave it? I wonder how it will look head on without the black to "balance" the windscreen?

I think I know what you will be doing after work tonight. I'm betting on an unveiling tomorrow. I hope the weather permits.

cheers,
                      Spyug

Comment

Here is how the original decals were on the Tank....so it looks as your right, it should go back a bit.....hey this was rushed this morning before work...LOL, I was even 15 minutes late....

and the fairing part, I intentionally left it white,,,,I can always use the plastidip paint and do it in black, and if I don't like it it can be peeled off...LOL

actually I was thinking of using the plastidip paint to paint the insides of all the tins, add a bit of protection, and cover up the old color and crap that is there now, I don't understand why painters never do the back side of the tins.....sheeeesh

Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

ooooooo ppuuuuuurdy

Comment

The decal place, is sending me new Tank decals, scaled the same as the original, no charge, since they goofed, now that is good news.....

but more to compare now, the big or the right...LOL

thanks - hjacobmiller......
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

actually I was thinking of using the plastidip paint to paint the insides of all the tins, add a bit of protection
                              I was thinking of that too but I wonder how it stands up to a bit of heat?

Looking at that lettering, it seems that its about the size of the new ones or are my eyes going off again?

I think they'll do fine and since you won't be clearing them you can always peel 'em and redo sometime later.

You better knuckle down at work my friend, you don't want to lose that cushy govmn't gig, that big fat pension and your half a year of holidays

I'll bet this will feel like a long day too.

cheers,
                              spyug

Comment

Hey I figure if guys are doing there car rims, engine covers, entire car's, I am sure it will hold up....

worse case scenario, it will melt off and be a puddle of melted rubber....

went home for lunch, put on the stripes on the side panels, and on the fender, I had some 3M vinyl kicking around, cut some strips, and bamm it looks good

RDdecals is sending me new tank decals, they made a mistake and want to rectify it, these are actually for a 85 GSX750 Katana, hence why a bit bigger, new ones on the way, should be a couple of days, I will keep the current ones as spare

Hey work always comes first,,,,,,LOL

and the day is almost done, another 45 minutes and it's quitting time...

gonna get home pull the tins outside and take some pics, I see that the sun is outside....

boys and girls get your sunglasses and sun block ready....

Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X